Band Of Riders

Band Of Riders (http://www.bandofriders.net/forums/forum.php)
-   Dirt & Motards (http://www.bandofriders.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Dirt Rides, Bikes, and discussion (http://www.bandofriders.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87329)

ITGbuDeev 04-02-2018 02:12 PM

Dirt Rides, Bikes, and discussion

We've got more members adding dirt bikes to their stables, more questions coming up, discussions about products and rides, so I figured I'd start a home for the overflow of general dirt related stuff.

ITGbuDeev 04-02-2018 02:22 PM

i bought a 2009 KTM 250XC from a member here so I could really get in to dirt this year instead of just messing around on my kx100. I'm not intimately familiar with dirt bikes in general so I immediately started taking it apart, even though it ran and rode just fine.

The bike had all the goodies I would have wanted to get myself, e start, Mass title/reg, skid plates, rekluse clutch, sprung for a big boy like myself, lots of various guards, extra air filters, ice tires on wheels. tons of good stuff.

Since i got it home i have:
installed a new chain
Bled the rekluse slave cylinder so the clutch actuates as it should.
replaced a cracked up headlight
repaired a bunch of frayed/broken wires
Then promptly discovered several broken pins in various connectors, including the main charging wire back to the battery from the regulator. just received a new harness and regulator that i still have to install.

At this point i really just need to do the harness/ regulator install and reassemble and i'll be good to ride this year. I will eventually get the map switch, replace plastics to pretty it up, purchase and install the tail/ brake light and switch so i can be street legal. Probably get some different hand guards as they currently have some clearance issues with levers.

Can't wait to get out there and sign up for my first JDay sprint enduro!

isaac_ 04-02-2018 02:52 PM

I regret taking mine apart. Time, several moves, etc. the motor still sits in a box in about 1000 pieces. Hoping to either man up and sort through the box or dump another couple thousand on a used bike. I really enjoyed MX when I had it.

CamaroJockey 04-02-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaac_ (Post 906198)
I regret taking mine apart. Time, several moves, etc. the motor still sits in a box in about 1000 pieces. Hoping to either man up and sort through the box or dump another couple thousand on a used bike. I really enjoyed MX when I had it.

What bike was it that you disassembled, royally fucked up, and never looked at again?

isaac_ 04-02-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroJockey (Post 906200)
What bike was it that you disassembled, royally fucked up, and never looked at again?

It is a 2009 KX250F

Mr. Kurtz 04-02-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaac_ (Post 906198)

Have you looked into the cost of a used motor on eBay?

Mr. Kurtz 04-02-2018 03:30 PM

Thomaston Dam is only 15 minutes away from me now. A few of us went there on some Saturdays last season, and the very last week they were open it occurred to me I could go on weekdays...and I did. Shoot there after work, ride for an hour, home before dark, and that's about as close as I can get to having riding in my back yard. I intend to do that a lot more this season, so if anyone else thinks that weekday afternoon rides are something they are interested in...let's make it a thing.

isaac_ 04-02-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz (Post 906205)

I look every few weeks and I can't find a complete motor. A lot of people sell the cases and innards separately. A newer motor is like $2,XXX but I've got an 09 vintage and truth is I don't know which motors are compatible.

I found a 2011 for 2,800 and a 2012 for 2,900 just yesterday.

csmutty 04-02-2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz (Post 906205)

Honestly a used motor for a 250f is on a short list of things I'd never buy. With the expense of getting something that needs work it could get as expensive as just getting a new bike.

isaac_ 04-02-2018 03:34 PM

damn circlip