Band Of Riders

Band Of Riders (http://www.bandofriders.net/forums/forum.php)
-   Bull Pen (http://www.bandofriders.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Roku Streaming Stick or Chromecast (http://www.bandofriders.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82001)

The Snowman 04-01-2014 10:23 AM

Roku Streaming Stick or Chromecast

Looking to move away from Apple TV and since I have a nice new Samsung Smart TV with more HDMI ports, I figured one of the little devices might be a better solution.

The Roku Streaming Stick cost $50 vs the Chromecast's $35 pricetag. Supposedly the Roku supports over 1000 channels and the Chromecast quite a bit less.

Is the $15 difference in price worth it? Roku doesn't feature the same "AirPlay" thing that Chromecast does with mobile devices.

Anyone have experience with either or both?

Dyno Solutions 04-01-2014 10:28 AM

You have 3D correct? How is it, novelty or everyday thing?

Maybe get back on that in 6 months.

The Snowman 04-01-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyno Solutions (Post 769887)
You have 3D correct? How is it, novelty or everyday thing?

Maybe get back on that in 6 months.

The 3D is cool. But the battery life on the glasses isn't great. They take a single button-type battery and 2 of the 3 pairs I have, have less than half battery life after watching only 2 movies with them.

I haven't watched a movie recorded in 3D yet, but have watched digital content from VuDu (Ender's Game) and Blu-Ray (Avatar) and it looked pretty amazing.

So, you're saying to wait it out a bit to see how the technology evolves?

scubasteve 04-01-2014 10:58 AM

Don't have either, but chromecast finally has been opened up to developers, so its becoming more useful by the day as dev's get casting support put into their apps.

BMMCBR600RR 04-01-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubasteve (Post 769899)
Don't have either, but chromecast finally has been opened up to developers, so its becoming more useful by the day as dev's get casting support put into their apps.

Yeah! I'm hoping some of the console emulator devs use it in their apps!

scubasteve 04-01-2014 11:01 AM

They will be from what I've read. :)

ct1200 04-01-2014 11:02 AM

Roomie got the whole samsung 3d package with a pretty good deal, meh...
With the right movie its good, but too many are doing it now just to do it.

For streamers, my vote is the roku3, its got a good fast chip in it, the stick version, meh...
And there are a ton of private chs on the roku that you will only find there
LOVE mine!!!

BMMCBR600RR 04-01-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubasteve (Post 769901)
They will be from what I've read. :)

Sweet! I used to play them on my Palm, but was pretty bummed when I switched to iPhone because they're banned from their app store. Now that I've got an Android I've been playing them again. It would be so cool to play them on the big screen and use my phone as a controller.

drinkingmymilk 04-01-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMMCBR600RR (Post 769904)
Sweet! I used to play them on my Palm, but was pretty bummed when I switched to iPhone because they're banned from their app store. Now that I've got an Android I've been playing them again. It would be so cool to play them on the big screen and use my phone as a controller.

Even an N64 looks like garbage on a 55" TV. I couldn't imagine playing something older. I have a few classic games on my wii. It's not worth it imo. I used to love my nes game back in the iPhone jailbreak days.

BMMCBR600RR 04-01-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk (Post 769908)
Even an N64 looks like garbage on a 55" TV. I couldn't imagine playing something older. I have a few classic games on my wii. It's not worth it imo. I used to love my nes game back in the iPhone jailbreak days.

It looks like garbage on any screen. I just think it would be cool to sit on my couch and play without looking at a tiny screen.