You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
nhbubba
Karate Kid

Call Me: Colin
Odometer: A bunch
Bike: Something cheap

Default Thoughts on half ton pickups

I'm starting to kick around the idea of trading my car for a half-ton pickup. Have been doing some reading. There have been a lot of pickup related threads here lately. Wondering what people's thoughts are on the state of this segment.

Most of the latest reviews seem to be naming the new Ram 1500 diesel "the best". The 28-30 MPG highway claims are incredible. I traded my last truck for a fwd econobox wagon to get that kind of mileage. Their base tradesman package seems pretty compelling.

I had my heart set on finding a 2-3 year old V8 half-ton. GM seemed like the truck to get.

My requirements are pretty meager. I'm thinking regular cab, regular or long bed. 4WD. Once you option out the Ram 1500 diesel it gets to $36k-ish. That sounds disgusting until you start pricing used stuff. Seems like anything 3 years old or less than hasn't been beat is at least $25k.

I used to drive mini trucks. I don't want another one. My new rule is that if I can't lay a 4x8 sheet of drywall flat between the wheel wells I don't want it.
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
mattr302
9.5 > 10

Call Me: Raby
Odometer: 40k
Bike: FZ6, F4i, DR350

Everything I know about trucks I learned from this thread
Let's talk trucks - Band Of Riders

That being said, if I need to buy 4x8 sheets of drywall, I borrow my parents' Grand Caravan.
1998 Suzuki DR350SE - Misc

CT State Tag-o-Rama game
Motorcycle Picture Challenge game
mattr302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
downshift
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Gabe
Odometer: -5
Bike: 1994 Yamaha FZR600RF

Joe said the base model trims are "fucking miserable" to be in when I asked him about them. Don't know how much weight that carries here but I believed him.

The new Ram is a sexy truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3
downshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
ninja fruit
NegativeIamAmeatPopsicle

Call Me: The Donald
Odometer: All
Bike: Il Massimo, Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr302 View Post
Everything I know about trucks I learned from this thread Let's talk trucks - Band Of Riders

That being said, if I need to buy 4x8 sheets of drywall, I borrow my parents' Grand Caravan.
I want to light that thing on fire so bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability.
ninja fruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
nhbubba
Karate Kid

Call Me: Colin
Odometer: A bunch
Bike: Something cheap

Noel is my hero for having much deeper pockets to rip through than I do. But there is no fucking way I'm spending $60,000 on a vehicle. Ever. Not gonna happen. Even $40k for a used vehicle makes me want to sit in a corner and cry. At that kind of money it better be new. (And qualify for my bank's new car finance rate.)

There's a reason I didn't post this in his thread.

I'm a cheap fuck and prepared to live like it. Not talking vinyl seats base. But surely I can forgo the heated and cooled leather seat and exotic African hardwood steering wheel in a fookin' pickup. No?

Power windows and keyless entry are negotiable. Crutchfield still sells stereos.. don't they?
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
StratfordJohnny
Shrimp

Call Me: John
Odometer: 75k+
Bike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Seems like anything 3 years old or less than hasn't been beat is at least $25k.
Seems like everyone and their brother have decided to try and charge outrageous prices for used cars these days. Fucking nuts.

StratfordJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
yzedf
Grip it and rip it

Call Me: Chris
Odometer: 60k+
Bike: pedal power

Don't buy based on short term reviews, they are meaningless. I personally would never buy a Dodge, regardless of engine, looks, suspension design or whatever. My cousin is a Toyota tech, he says the Tundra is pretty good overall. I was a Chevy guy until I had a 2002 2500HD, 8.1 gas, Allison, 4x4, leather and all that jazz. Truck was a gas guzzler, handled like shit, turning radius made it feel like I was parking an aircraft carrier, 8ft bed and extra cab not full 4 doors, tranny popped at 80k miles, door seals leaked and doors rusted at 60k. Bought a Ford this time, 2011 supercrew V8 4x4 that is smooth to drive, quiet, I can park it at the garage at the mall, 18mpg lifetime, 100k miles and all is needed has been a tail light bulb.

Generally whatever holds its value is either better or rare.
yzedf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
cdovégo
Shrimp Boat Captain

Call Me: Chris
Odometer: 123
Bike: alphabet soup

Silverado is uncomfortable as hell. Leaf springs and awful seats. Reliability is mediocre.

Ram has best suspesion (like SUV) of the bunch. Reliability is mediocre.

F150 rides like a Silverado (same suspension) but is a tad more comfortable adjustment wise. Reliability is mediocre.

Tundra, whatever - none of us care. Reliability is above average.

Looks are all subjective.

I'm swapping my Silverado for a Ram. I expect the Ram to break just as much as the Silverado. My goal is to be comfortable and have the creature comforts Grand Cherokees got me so used to. Each one of the brands is a compromise from everything I've experienced and read. No one manufacturer is hitting it out of the park.

Expect anything under 50,000 miles, less than 4 years old to be $25K - that's the market.
Central Mass Powersports #123
cdovégo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
rbrais
Karate Kid

Call Me: Ryan
Odometer: Unknown
Bike: Honda Superhawk, Shadow & NX650

Don't get too hung up on the Estimated 28-30 mpg, just yet. Many times the "real world" mpg's are a little lower. But even if you hit 25mpg average, that's pretty damn good. I'm lucky to get 12.
rbrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #10
rbrais
Karate Kid

Call Me: Ryan
Odometer: Unknown
Bike: Honda Superhawk, Shadow & NX650

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratfordJohnny View Post
Seems like everyone and their brother have decided to try and charge outrageous prices for used cars these days. Fucking nuts.

That's because new cars are so expensive that a lot of people are turning to used. Dealers charge what people are willing to pay. If the used cars sat there, the price would come down.
rbrais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
half, pickups, thoughts, ton