You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > TonysTrackDays

Notices

Old 06-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
PeaPod
Karate Kid

Call Me: Rob
Odometer: 24000
Bike: '07 Ninja 650R

Default Thompson June 8 & 9 review

Wow, this was a bit longer than I thought! Good reading, haha

Was a great two days to be on the track! Weather was nearly perfect, warm but not hot, and plenty of sunshine.

Had some conservations going into these days because I needed to use my streetbike as my normal trackbike was having some work done to it and would not be available. The Speed Four had 4 year old Dunlop Q3's on them with a rear that was getting a little down on tread, so I was a bit leery. I nearly bagged out of the first day, but had read a post during the week from Tony that dawned on me that I did not need to run full out, but use the days to practice something, so that was my plan.

I had MTAG bring a set of new tires so I could swap out at some point because I knew I wanted to. I did use the Q3's for the first day and was definitely off my pace with the tires in the back of my mind. However, by the end of the day I was comfortable enough with the bike and tires that I had definitely wicked it up some. The Q3's never gave me any sketchy moments, and I honestly probably could have got one more day out them at a practice pace.

Friday was a bit of a learning curve day as I had not ridden the Speed Four on the track in a year and a half. Had to get used to the high handlebars vs. the clip-ons. This bike's tank does work great for my legs though, so that helped me conserve a lot of energy. During the day I started to get this feeling in my shoe during some left hand corners that something was hitting it. Came of the track and realized the shifter pedal and peg were starting to touch down. I had these set down for street riding comfort and had to raise them up for my track riding. Once that was sorted, and I was getting more comfortable with the tires, I finally started to get in the groove. Last session of the day was great and I was ready to go at it tomorrow.

At one point, I did catch a scary moment on camera of someone highsiding in front of me. Was hard to watch someone get flicked off their bike like that but luckily he was OK, beat up, but OK. It was also interesting to feel time slow down and listen to my brain think as to what I should do with a bike sliding in front of me and a person tumbling to side. Luckily I had left enough room to have time to make the decisions and was able to scoot around.

Friday night I got to enjoy some pizza, beer, and play some cornhole. Was a good time and a chance to meet some faces you don't get to during the day. Absolutely destroyed the first team we played within three rounds, then had an extended battle with the next team but lost after a good fight. Our chances dashed, i had some things to attend too and had to call it a night.

Saturday came around and I got to work putting the wheels back on the bike and Mr. Kurtz from MTAG had spooned some new Supercorsa rubber on for me. Being a streetbike, I had actually planned on having the Rosso Corsa's put on, but the pair he brought for me had some shipping damage and could not be used. I therefore got some of the V1 version Supercorsa which is the older model put on. The tires performed flawlessly for me during the day and really upped my confidence and allowed me to push my pace hard. These may be a hidden gem and become a very good alternative for my trackdays as they are a bit cheaper than the current gen race tires. And now that I have these on the Speed Four, I may have to bring it to the track a bit more often as well.

Saturday ending up just being a great day to to gel with the Speed Four and get back on my normal pace. Had a good time with the group on the track that day and nary an incident to delay us.

Overall I never really did practice anything, as I was concentrating too much on wrenching and getting up to speed. I am very glad though that I had read Tony's post and did not skip Friday as that was a building block day leading into Saturday which left me all smiles for the weekend. I appreciate that Tony put up with my back and forth regarding the day and also Mike's help with the tire selection for the bike. Can't beat this group!
PeaPod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
Mr. Kurtz
Kurtacus Spartacus

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 100,000
Bike: 04 R6, 88 ZX600C, 13 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO, 05 450 EXC, 03 XR100, 03 Ego, 00 Aprilia SR50

Glad those V1's worked well for you. They are a pretty good trackday alternative, with the price point being about halfway between the Rosso Corsa and the Supercorsa V2.
Mr. Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
TTD
"Track" dealer

Call Me: Tony
Odometer: 100,000
Bike: CBR1000rr, KTM450exc

Pirelli Track Tires!

TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
crazydiablo
Shrimp

Call Me: Mohith
Odometer: 100000
Bike: RZ350, Aprilia Tuono, CBR600RR, KTM 300 XCW

It was Branden who did the Superman in front of you. Glad you had a good time. Nice to meet you Rob.

Mohith
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #5
PeaPod
Karate Kid

Call Me: Rob
Odometer: 24000
Bike: '07 Ninja 650R

Nice to meet you Mohith! I usually try to leave names of the guilty, err...I mean innocent, out. I leave it up to them if they want to chime in. Not that you can't see it on the TTD facebook page.

And yes Mike, those V1's definitely worked well at my pace and the price is right. I wish they made them in 160 size so I could put them on my 650.
PeaPod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
june, review, thompson