You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen > Fat burners

Notices

Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
eric351w
Lord Dark Helmet

Call Me: Duh
Odometer: Mucho
Bike: Nada

Default Workout aids

I had talked to Dave (db79) this weekend on support for lifting injuries and made me curious to see what you guys are using out there. This could not only be for support to injuries but also general lifting accessories like belts, straps, wrist wraps etc. As I get older things have had a tendency to hurt more especially when coming off my bulk and I start to dry out. My biggest issue of pain right now is my left elbow area, I have a bit of bicep tendon pain and general joint pain. I had picked up a compression cuff from Mark Bell (howmuchyabench.net) after seeing some videos and I have to say it has made a big impact at the gym pain wise. Its really just a silly little $15 compression cuff you slip on but Im surprised at how much it has helped. The next thing on my list is a good set of knee sleeves as thats the next area I get discomfort. Mark sells these too so curious to see how they do. Other than that for general lifting support I have the following:

-Gloves- Basic Under Armour slip ons
-Lifting straps- Cotton Valero
-Wrist wraps- Rogue medium length. These have served me well but Im picking up the Gangsta 36 wraps. More support and better quality plus better thumb loop positioning
-lifting belts- Rogue 4 non-tapered power lifting belt, only used on my last set or two on heavy days like squats and deads. I also use a Valero 4 tapered belt for all around general lifting.
-Dip belt- Harbinger dip belt with chain

Next on the list is I have a Sling Shot on order for bench (that should be interesting) and will eventually get some knee wraps.
eric351w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Mr. Kurtz
Kurtacus Spartacus

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 100,000
Bike: 04 R6, 88 ZX600C, 13 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO, 05 450 EXC, 03 XR100, 03 Ego, 00 Aprilia SR50

I intend to grab a pair of wrist wraps because I have some issues there. Beyond that, I'm not really lifting heavy enough to need any of the other stuff.
Mr. Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
db79
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Dave
Odometer: unknown
Bike: GSXRs, VFR

Getting old sucks...

Based on a conversation with Eric this weekend going to try a compression cuff on a lingering tendon injury.

-Lifting straps- Cotton Valero
-lifting belts- Would have to dig it out and look to determine the brand as I've had it for probably 15 years.
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
MFChop
Im some sort of Asian...

Call Me: Matt
Odometer:
Bike: 2015 ZX6-R, 2012 GSX 1300R

I've steered away from using Wraps and Straps, I think they are crutches of sorts and hinder forearm / grip strength. I do use straps on rare occasions if Im trying to push my max deadlift

And gloves are for pu$$ys
LRRS / CCS AM #396 Sponsored by - Dyno Solutions - Woodcraft Technologies - Armour Bodies - Spiegler / Carbone Lorraine -
MFChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
marshdrummer
Pit Boss

Call Me: Jay
Odometer: lots
Bike: 2011 R1 (street/track)

I don't use anything believe it or not....Since I have neck issues, I've focused on stretching before any lifts and doing a lot of warm up sets for the last 10 years....Luckily, I've had minimal injuries or aches/pains....besides my neck and occasional stingers....
marshdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
eric351w
Lord Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
I've steered away from using Wraps and Straps, I think they are crutches of sorts and hinder forearm / grip strength. I do use straps on rare occasions if Im trying to push my max deadlift

And gloves are for pu$$ys
For lighter weights i agree with the straps and wraps however when going very heavy things change a bit. For me i just naturally have smaller wrists but the weights i can lift my wrists wont hold unfortuntaely so for me the wraps are vital. Straps are great when you start with deadlifts and then go to lighter weight since your grip strength will be decreased from holding all the weight on deads. otherwise these days i have a wife so as long as her grip strength is good i dont need mine ;-)
Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
Petorius
Shrimp

Call Me: Pete
Bike: 03 SV

Try using chalk if you don't already. Instead of gloves.
Petorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
mattr302
9.5 > 10

Call Me: Raby
Odometer: 40k
Bike: FZ6, F4i, DR350

I've got a ratty ass old pair of Nike lifting gloves with built-in wrist wraps which I need to replace.
For straps, whatever one comes when you put "free straps please" in the comment section of a bodybuilding.com order. One pair was bb.com brand, and they were nice and soft but ripped a couple months ago, another they sent had no brand and wasn't as nice, but they work.
mattr302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
eric351w
Lord Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
Try using chalk if you don't already. Instead of gloves.
My gym doesnt allow chalk, ive tried for many years to get them to allow it but no success. So right now i pretty much use gloves on days when its humid in my gym.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
ITGbuDeev
Ginga' Ninja

Call Me: Kyle
Odometer: 20,000
Bike: VFR800, zx6rr

Rogue wrist wraps. Only if it's high rep count. For me it's not a strength issues, it's flexibility, coupled with a broken wrist a few years ago, the repeated motion flares it up.

Harbinger 4 inch belt, I've been wearing it more lately since an old herniated disk injury is just hovering below the surface so I'm trying to keep it in check.

I used to wear gloves for any movement we were hanging from a bar for. Our Rig has no texture on the pull up bars so if I am at ALL sweaty, I slip right off. I used football receiver gloves with the latex/pleather palms. I have started bringing my own towel to dry my hands, and wear sweat bands on my wrists to prevent arm sweat dripping down. I find I don't need the gloves anymore.
ITGbuDeev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aids, workout