You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen > Bang Bang

Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #1761
eric351w
Lord Dark Helmet

Call Me: Duh
Odometer: Mucho
Bike: Nada

Thanks Andrew, makes sense. Basically outlines how easily it can be confused but clarifies at the same time lol. Now to only get out on the range with a slew of handguns that cover all varieties of actions so I can try them first hand. Hmmmm sounds like another BoRn range day is needed
Old 03-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #1762
Joey Lawrence
Brown Prince of BoRn

Call Me: Joe
Odometer: 100K+
Bike: A pretty one that makes great noises & a dirty one old enough to drink

And my head hurts after reading this. Thanks Andrew for breaking it down in plain english

with impending family commitments i do like the idea of owning one should the shit hit the fan. but i dont even know where to being.

WHOA

#dirtyprince

Last edited by Joey Lawrence; 03-16-2018 at 07:12 AM..
Joey Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #1763
adouglas
Shrimp Boat Captain

Call Me: Andrew
Odometer: Lots
Bike: 2011 GSX-R750 street, ex-Boris 06 R6 track

Again I'm not any sort of authority, but I do believe that the weapon of choice to defend your home and family is not a pistol. It's a shotgun.

Whatever you get... train, train, train and train some more, and not just gun handling skills. Getting out of or defusing a situation is arguably far more important than being able to put lead where you want it. You have to know how to do that if it's in any way possible.

The best outcome in a bad situation is that nobody gets shot... you OR the bad guy. Being right, being justified, doesn't mean you come out the other side unscathed. Drawing a weapon is a last-resort option and has dire consequences for everyone involved, physically, psychologically and legally. A shooting, even a fully justified shooting, can easily ruin your life. Pick a high-profile case and look up what happened in the aftermath. Financial ruin, broken marriages, blown careers, all of it.

One of the problems I see with our culture is that we romanticize the heroism while trivializing the reality and ignoring responsibility. Buy a gun, protect your family, be the hero. Stand up to tyranny. Take down bad guys to protect good guys. Yay. But that's just one small part of the picture.

You can see this issue play out on any gun website or forum. Endless discussions of self-defense ammo, gun choice, holsters, drills, tactics, etc. etc. What you don't see is, I think, more important: What leads up to the weapon being drawn. Assessing a situation. Alternatives to pulling the gun. Ways to get yourself out of the situation. What you're legally allowed to do, and what risks you run if you do something wrong. Then the aftermath... what to expect from LEOs, the courts, your own psyche, your loved ones.

The indisputable fact is that when you pick up a deadly weapon you're taking on a grave responsibility for human life... yours, your family's, and everyone you come in contact with. This isn't a frigging video game or movie. This is as deadly serious, gruesome and messy as it gets. Think long and very hard about that before you decide. Look someone in the eye and seriously ask yourself if you really would be prepared to kill or, perhaps worse, maim for life if it came to that.

Last edited by adouglas; 03-16-2018 at 09:36 AM..
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #1764
krazy again
Slowpoke

Call Me: the wanderer
Odometer: 50000
Bike: '12 Triumph Tiger 800XC, HD FLHRC, '12 R6 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Lawrence View Post
And my head hurts after reading this. Thanks Andrew for breaking it down in plain english

with impending family commitments i do like the idea of owning one should the shit hit the fan. but i dont even know where to being.
Joe, if you ever decide you need a hand in picking a firearm out for whatever your purpose might be, contact me. I'll be happy to take you to a store and/or the range with my various guns for you to try. I did do your safety cert after all.

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )
krazy again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #1765
Joey Lawrence
Brown Prince of BoRn

Call Me: Joe
Odometer: 100K+
Bike: A pretty one that makes great noises & a dirty one old enough to drink

speaking of that. i never finished it or submitted for a permit. Im assuming id have to do it all over. plus i forgot everything anyway.

WHOA

#dirtyprince
Joey Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #1766
krazy again
Slowpoke

Call Me: the wanderer
Odometer: 50000
Bike: '12 Triumph Tiger 800XC, HD FLHRC, '12 R6 (track/race)

Quote:
speaking of that. i never finished it or submitted for a permit. Im assuming id have to do it all over. plus i forgot everything anyway.
At the end of the class everyone got their certificate. There is no expiration date on it.

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )
krazy again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #1767
Matty
Something Cool

Call Me: Tater Salad
Odometer: .4
Bike: 02 MV F4,

Quote:
Do everyone a favor....donít get a gun
Old 03-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #1768
Matty
Something Cool

Call Me: Tater Salad
Odometer: .4
Bike: 02 MV F4,

Quote:
Do everyone a favor....donít get a gun
Old 03-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #1769
mungea
I'm the Nice One

Call Me: Adam
Odometer: 15000+
Bike: 2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351w View Post
Thanks Andrew, makes sense. Basically outlines how easily it can be confused but clarifies at the same time lol. Now to only get out on the range with a slew of handguns that cover all varieties of actions so I can try them first hand. Hmmmm sounds like another BoRn range day is needed
Quote:

Eric/Joe, if you guys want to go, I have some you can try. I have striker fired, DA/SA, SAO and revolver.

Andrew did a great job explaining the difference, but sometimes its easier to understand if you can see/touch the different types.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #1770
drinkingmymilk
I swear, I'm an adult.

Call Me: Chris
Odometer: 40k
Bike: Twin triples and lots of pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy again View Post
At the end of the class everyone got their certificate. There is no expiration date on it.
He should take the class 3 more times before considering the permit.

Matt 9/19/10
drinkingmymilk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assault, ban, bill, chat, class, connecticut, ct, current, donation, firearms, fund, future, gun, guns, holders, legal, names, permit, proposed, psa, release, rifle, shot, single, smart, students, unbelieveable, weapons