You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 05-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Bulldogr6
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Jeremy
Odometer: 100000+
Bike: fz6,R6 & WR250f

I'm going to go against the grain of this thread and say Husky over Stihl, way over! I loath maintaining & repair work on anything Stihl makes. They can shove their proprietary dealer only parts design system and over complected design up their arse ( older stuff is not to bad ) most every other maker uses readily available consumables ( fuel line/filter, Bar, chain & drive stuct. ect .

You are a realistic guy so just try this http://www.husqvarna.com/us/support/chainsaw-selector/ and then go talk to the local dealer.

My father and I both have have 20+ year old Huskys ( A 41 & 61 )that still see hard seasonal work never a issue only maintenance & consuamables . My brother in law likes Stihl so I can and do work on them but it pains me to spend money on parts. For example a model specific fuel like that is $10+ when I have a roll of bulk line for everything else.

PS: On that note I'm heading out to the garage to install a new carb on a on a free saw a coworker gave me , thanks ethanol blended gasoline.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book, 1774-1776

Last edited by Bulldogr6; 05-21-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Bulldogr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
FasYankee
Lemming King

Call Me: Darren
Odometer: I walk
Bike: European whores & crippled Japs

Ahhhh.....I just re-read your post, why don't you just get a good sized (large) pole saw. For what you're describing I wouldn't reccomend a chainsaw. Tree trimming (branches) with a chainsaw is a receipe for disaster without a bucket truck. I just got a pole saw last year and the thing is the cats ass. Easily cut through a few large branches. The time it saved me trimming the branches along my driveway was worth it. I wouldn't have been able to do it that fast with a truck/saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
everybody wants to be black till the cops show up.
FasYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
01XJ
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Adam
Odometer: 1
Bike: Street Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogr6 View Post
I'm going to go against the grain of this thread and say Husky over Stihl, way over! I loath maintaining & repair work on anything Stihl makes. They can shove their proprietary dealer only parts design system and over complected design up their arse ( older stuff is not to bad ) most every other maker uses readily available consumables ( fuel line/filter, Bar, chain & drive stuct. ect .

You are a realistic guy so just try this http://www.husqvarna.com/us/support/chainsaw-selector/ and then go talk to the local dealer.

My father and I both have have 20+ year old Huskys ( A 41 & 61 )that still see hard seasonal work never a issue only maintenance & consuamables . My brother in law likes Stihl so I can and do work on them but it pains me to spend money on parts. For example a model specific fuel like that is $10+ when I have a roll of bulk line for everything else.

PS: On that note I'm heading out to the garage to install a new carb on a on a free saw a coworker gave me , thanks ethanol blended gasoline.
I go with Husqvarna for these reasons.

Also for what Noel said. Buy from an authorized dealer. Someone who knows the machines.

After we bought our house I was being cheap and bought a home cheapo priced trimmer. After that I swore I would never buy another budget priced piece of motorized equipment again.
01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
scubasteve

Call Me: Steve
Odometer: 35000+
Bike: 2013 Ninja 1000

Stilh like the others have mentions, husky is a close second. Have had nothing but good experience with both. Stilh gets the edge based on close friends who do landscape and tree work and prefer the Stihl's.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #15
Imbeek
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: Gary
Odometer: A lot
Bike: A few faithful beaters.

I have a couple husqvarnas, love them and have used them a LOT for many many years, as I heat with wood and have a lot of timber on my property as well.

Husky or Stihl, either way. Don't buy cheaper brands and don't even consider electric. I dunno about the box store difference deal, I got one husky from a saw specific dealer, and my other directly from a logger I know.

Ok so here is the most important part of my post: based on what you said you want to do with it: do NOT get a large saw. 16" bar is plenty for what you are doing, and will be much less tiring, safer, quieter, and use less fuel. This is one area of tool purchasing where the "Tim the tool man" strategy of buying overkill WILL be something you regret. Trust me on this.

The reason I have two saws is because the 372xp with 20" bar (or bigger) is for cutting up log truck loads of firewood where a smaller saw is too slow, but that saw is tiring and not for a beginner, frankly. They are more dangerous than road racing in the hands of an inexperienced user. The smaller husky is for exactly what you are talking about; cutting down small trees, cutting up limbs, cutting where I have to reach with it or bend down low, etc.

Don't let the chain ever touch dirt when its spinning (even dirt in the wood you are cutting) because it will dull it immediately, and learn how to sharpen your chain or buy a few chains so you can rotate while you let a saw shop sharpen the dull ones for you. A sharp chain on my small saw will outcut my big saw with a dull chain, easily. Safer, too.
Imbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
sreiner1
Shrimp

Call Me: Shannon
Odometer: 12000
Bike: 07cbr 600rr

I do this for a living, I have used every brand out there. i ALWAYS find myself back with husky do to said repair issues with parts. I have every size saw from 12" bar to 36" bar. the saw I will grab every time to do the work you describe is this http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landscap...dle-saws/t435/

Trust me it is more then enough to do what you need. The top handle gives you the ability to cut one handed which you will find is a must when cutting brush. I have hundreds of commercial use on mine and it has NEVER given me a problem.

If you are swayed to any brand for some reason that is fine but trust me on one thing TOP HANDLE all the way

A 20" 50cc to cut brush is like trying to ride a busa on the track, sure you can do it, youll be the fastest guy down the straight, but after muscling that thing around the corners you will be so spent you won't finish the race
sreiner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
FasYankee
Lemming King

Call Me: Darren
Odometer: I walk
Bike: European whores & crippled Japs

I have a husky trimmer and I hate it. I bought it from a dealer. Nothing but issues starting and line feed. I hate trimmers in general, and loathe the work. My last one ended up in a tree where it remained for a while till it fell out. Forgot the brand but it still worked (sort of) after I put fresh gas in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
everybody wants to be black till the cops show up.
FasYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #18
nt650hawk
Lost Soul

Call Me: Gino
Odometer: 75,000+
Bike: Honda CBR 929rr; 3 Hawk GT's ;LOOKING FOR A 10-11-12 CBR 600RR HELP; 2000 KDX 220R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Solutions View Post
Stihl.

I purchased my 025 18 years ago when I purchased my house. Took down a shit load of trees and it still runs great. (you'll use it more than you think)
New version of this is the MS250.

Pay more now or later...

just operated both a 025 and a 026 Stihl.

the 025 was one of those carb emission standards where you can not adjust the high and lows. It did work the 12" birch but it handled the limbs much better. The 026 I could get the Hi/low adjustments and definately reved higher. Cutting with the 026 was much easier onthe bigger stuff and definately had more power to work on the bigger jobs if needed.
2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
LRRS HAWK GT Racer CCS Expert #929
ECK RACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL Spiegler On Track Media All Balls Racing Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers
nt650hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #19
soofle616
Keeper of "The List"

Call Me: Ian
Odometer: lots
Bike: Pasta, rice, and a big lump of potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismpero View Post
I have a McCullouch (however u spell it) never had a problem.. if ur interested in a used one, let me know
I'm always interested in used if by used you mean cheap. Whachu got and how much you want for it?
soofle616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
sreiner1
Shrimp

Call Me: Shannon
Odometer: 12000
Bike: 07cbr 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
I have a couple husqvarnas, love them and have used them a LOT for many many years, as I heat with wood and have a lot of timber on my property as well.

Husky or Stihl, either way. Don't buy cheaper brands and don't even consider electric. I dunno about the box store difference deal, I got one husky from a saw specific dealer, and my other directly from a logger I know.

Ok so here is the most important part of my post: based on what you said you want to do with it: do NOT get a large saw. 16" bar is plenty for what you are doing, and will be much less tiring, safer, quieter, and use less fuel. This is one area of tool purchasing where the "Tim the tool man" strategy of buying overkill WILL be something you regret. Trust me on this.

The reason I have two saws is because the 372xp with 20" bar (or bigger) is for cutting up log truck loads of firewood where a smaller saw is too slow, but that saw is tiring and not for a beginner, frankly. They are more dangerous than road racing in the hands of an inexperienced user. The smaller husky is for exactly what you are talking about; cutting down small trees, cutting up limbs, cutting where I have to reach with it or bend down low, etc.

Don't let the chain ever touch dirt when its spinning (even dirt in the wood you are cutting) because it will dull it immediately, and learn how to sharpen your chain or buy a few chains so you can rotate while you let a saw shop sharpen the dull ones for you. A sharp chain on my small saw will outcut my big saw with a dull chain, easily. Safer, too.

Agreed 100% about the experience part, I even shit myself sometimes when using this http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landscap...nsaws/3120-xp/ to cut the stump after using one of the small saws all day.
sreiner1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chainsaw, recommendations