You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 07-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
gpj
Forrest Gump

Call Me: George
Odometer: 1000000
Bike: 2008 KTM 250 2002 Gasgas 200 2005 Honda Cruiser

Question Looking to go south

Well in two weeks I’m heading down south to Spartanburg, SC to look at some house’s and I know some of you moved down south but didn’t stay long and some are still their. My question is what made you go and what made you come back? This is something I been wanting to do for a long time but the move won’t take place as long as my wife’s father is still alive (77)
The way the market is down their to buy a house I just might make it a rental propery until I make the move
Thanks for any in- put

Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Mustang
Insert Title

Call Me: Bill
Odometer: 7/25ths
Bike: 06 SV650

Buy my house! It's not Spartanburg, but close enough...

Some reasons why I moved:
- I wanted perpetual riding weather (no snow/sand on roads)
- I wanted to get away from the cold
- Always had an ideallic view of the south, and/or thought I'd find some Scarlett O'Hara/GWTW type girl, haha

Some reasons why I'm coming back:
- There are very few good places to ride in the metro area; I have to go 1:15 north to the mountains (which isn't much different from living in SoCT and having to go to the Berkshires), on which they dump pea gravel in the winter.
- It's still fucking cold here in the winter. Not New England cold, and not for as long, but it's still cold. We also still have roller coaster temps (70* one day, 45* the next) in the off-seasons.
- There are a lot of transplants in the south. In the metro area, native white Georgians (not being racist, just descriptive) are the minority. There are just as many ppl from other parts of the country and world, if not moreso, than locals.
- Moving away from everyone you know sucks... But you'll be moving with your wife and kids I'd imagine, that problem would be lessened.

Overall, the south is great. I'm not too familiar with Spartanburg though.
LRRS/CCS EX #47 -RSP Racing / Tony's Track Days / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Dyno Solutions / Sport Bike Track Gear / Knox / Brunetto T-Shirts / 434 Racer Parts / GMD CompuTrack

2012 LRRS Champion, AM Thunderbike
2018 LRRS Double Backup Champions, GTL and ULSB

RIP Reed 8/16/84 - 3/23/08
RIP Vaughan 11/18/66 - 9/19/10

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Daimian

Call Me: Richard Cranium
Odometer: 6 & 1/2
Bike: is 14 years older than me

I moved from the south to here. And their are two sides to every story.
_The riding up here is much better but you can only ride 6 or 7 months out of the year.
_The cost of living down there is cheaper but you get payed less.
_I tend to think that people are more friendly down there but then again they love nascar. LOL
_You have to be in a metro area to do anything but their is a lot to do in the metro areas.
Personally I love the south and look forward to getting back A.S.A.P but for now this is where my work is and I have to stick with it. I will tell you to investigate Spartanburg I've been there a couple of times and it wasn't my thing, I prefer Atlanta, Charlotte etc.etc But if your into the whole outdoors you may love it there
3. 1&2 Are Lies
4. You're A Pussy
Daimian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Mr. Kurtz
Kurtacus Spartacus

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 100,000
Bike: 04 R6, 88 ZX600C, 13 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO, 05 450 EXC, 03 XR100, 03 Ego, 00 Aprilia SR50

George, you've been talking about this for awhile. I'll be sad to see you go(when it happens), but on the bright side, the first spring you're down there, you can trek on over to the Deals Gap area and meet up for the week!
Mr. Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Tdgroup
Fresh Kid

Call Me: Ty
Odometer: 0>
Bike: 2005 Kaw 636

Spartanburg is in the woods!!! lol going through spartainburg was the first time i seen cotton. good luck george i am sure you will like it there.

"You Seen It"

In My Kurtz Drunk Voice
"Mcnuggets mcnuggets what! Mcnuggets mcnuggets what!
I'm into nuggets y'all.
I'm into nuggets y'all."
Tdgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Mustang
Insert Title

Call Me: Bill
Odometer: 7/25ths
Bike: 06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
_The riding up here is much better but you can only ride 6 or 7 months out of the year.
Depends on what part of the south you live(d) in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdgroup View Post
Spartanburg is in the woods!!! lol going through spartainburg was the first time i seen cotton. good luck george i am sure you will like it there.
Yeah, but I've seen cotton 10 minutes outside Phoenix too, lol...
LRRS/CCS EX #47 -RSP Racing / Tony's Track Days / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Dyno Solutions / Sport Bike Track Gear / Knox / Brunetto T-Shirts / 434 Racer Parts / GMD CompuTrack

2012 LRRS Champion, AM Thunderbike
2018 LRRS Double Backup Champions, GTL and ULSB

RIP Reed 8/16/84 - 3/23/08
RIP Vaughan 11/18/66 - 9/19/10

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
johnny mac
Shrimp Boat Captain

Call Me: Johnny mac
Odometer: 50,000
Bike: None

I was once kicked out of someone house because I was a Yankee But, yea the south is nice. Way slower paced

johnny mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
Busa413
Shrimp

Call Me: Josh
Odometer: 45000
Bike: none

I was born and raised in Western Mass. At the age of 18 I went to bootcamp and moved all around the country for about a year while I was going through all of my schools. After my schools were done I was stationed in North Carolina. I stayed here until I got out of the military in 2004. When I got out I couldn't wait to move "back home" so I left and headed up to Massachusetts. Once I was back up there I got to do all the things I missed, see the people I wanted to see. Then it started becoming clear to me that the cost of living was just ridiculous. I got a good paying job up in Maine so I moved up there. I went through one winter and had had enough. I got another job back in North Carolina where I had lived for ten years and I was gone.

I do like New England, and do miss it but when I weighed all the options I just enjoy living in the South that much more. The cost of living down here is much cheaper. Yes it is correct that you won't make as much for the same job down here but its not as big a difference to make up for the cost of living up North. What I mean by that is if you make $50K a year up there for a job you may make $40K a year down here for the same job, but the price of houses is more than triple up there than what it is down here.

The weather is great. Yeah it gets VERY hot down here, and humid, BUT everything has central air. I live on the beach and we always have a breeze, we haven't even had to turn our A/C on yet. Our summer starts in the end of April and lasts until sometime in October. The "winter" is January and February but winter down here means 40's. I've seen snow three times in the past 14 years down here and only once did it last past noon before it melted. The roads are great, no tar snakes and a pothole is a very rare thing, not to mention there isn't any sand on the sides of the road from winter road care.

The way of life down here is very easy, very relaxed. That is hard for some people to get used to. If you have the chance to do it I'd give it a shot. Worst case scenario you could just say "no i don't like it" and move back.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

Tags
south