You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Everything Bike

Old 03-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
01XJ
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Adam
Odometer: 1
Bike: Street Triple

Default HID headlights/ naked headlights

I will spare you the details but I'm on round 3 with the headlights on my bike. They suck. I was wondering if anyone knew of a "streetfighter" headlight kit that will take a projector housing. I want to switch over to an H.I.D. retrofit kit, run a high and low beam. But to be honest, the whole baking in the oven, peeling it apart so it may or may not fit isn't something I'm really into. Kind of looking for plug and play. Idiot proof type of thing. Does this type of thing exist? I know some of you guys know a ton of stuff about HID lighting.

I'm not looking for anything wild and crazy when I say "streetfighter". Just something that will mount too a naked bike via fork clamps or something similar.

Last edited by 01XJ; 03-29-2012 at 11:30 PM..
01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
jbmass
Shrimp Boat Captain

Call Me: Justin
Odometer: no idea
Bike: Ducati 916, TL1000r, Ducati 848, KX450F

Why not look at Aztec 8's lights? I've used one of their lights on the Gsxr streetfighter I'm building, and the quality is great.
jbmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
01XJ
Vice President Palin

I like the 7" headlight but I'm more or less looking for, or wondering, if anyone makes an HID kit thats plug and play. Comes with the light, assembly, ballasts, etc in the same manner that a typical headlight would.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
scubasteve

Call Me: Steve
Odometer: 35000+
Bike: 2013 Ninja 1000

There is a good post on here somewhere by "weld" showing an HID retrofit kit, that is of excellent quality etc. It does requiere ya to bake open a headlight housing, so if you found an OEM unit you like, you could retro fit these projectors into that housing potentially. There aren't too many headlight assemblies that are any good to just swap HID bulbs into without the light just scattering everywhere, so this might be one of your better bets.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
5TOEZ
"Made" member..........

Call Me: Bruce
Odometer: 101,000
Bike: 70 Zebra pwr. 2001 Suzuki Sv -650s,2003 Kx-100,1985 Suzuki Gs-450L & a 2.5 hp.Deadly Rupp minibike

Cycle gear has a kit for cheap...& yea, you'll get some hotspots & scattering.

Last edited by 5TOEZ; 03-30-2012 at 08:36 AM..
5TOEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Marduk
Resident Hothead

Call Me: _____
Odometer: 30K+
Bike: n/a

Adam - pretty sure it was you who linked those HID kits from SVRider. So, there's that option... BorKa has a relatively easy setup. I realize you said you're not a fan of the whole baking nonsense. One thing I DO like about BorKa's kit is that even though you do have to do the work yourself, at least you know it will all fit and work in the end.

As J (weld) pointed out in that thread, though, there are better units out there. Unfortunately if you want the most output and best light dispersion without blinding other people on the road, my guess is you'll have to do the work yourself. I don't personally know of any stellar kits for nakeds. And if you find one, my bet is that it will be fairly pricey. I haven't done any directed research on this, but I do follow the HID threads when they come up, as this is likely something I'll do at some point. Nothing I ever read seems to be straightforward with it.

And related to that - so I guess the naked headlight you got at the end of last season isn't working out?

Last edited by Marduk; 03-30-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Marduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
01XJ
Vice President Palin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Adam - pretty sure it was you who linked those HID kits from SVRider. So, there's that option... BorKa has a relatively easy setup. I realize you said you're not a fan of the whole baking nonsense. One thing I DO like about BorKa's kit is that even though you do have to do the work yourself, at least you know it will all fit and work in the end.

As J (weld) pointed out in that thread, though, there are better units out there. Unfortunately if you want the most output and best light dispersion without blinding other people on the road, my guess is you'll have to do the work yourself. I don't personally know of any stellar kits for nakeds. And if you find one, my bet is that it will be fairly pricey. I haven't done any directed research on this, but I do follow the HID threads when they come up, as this is likely something I'll do at some point. Nothing I ever read seems to be straightforward with it.

And related to that - so I guess the naked headlight you got at the end of last season isn't working out?
Yup, I totally forgot about that. I just called that guy that does the SV HID conversions and that's what I'm going with.

I'm gonna have him install that HID retrofit kit into a single 7" round SV headlight. Kind of the lazy way out but I know this time it will be done right. Once I get it from him, installing it isn't an issue. I just don't trust myself to hack the headlight housing apart and properly install the projector.

Last edited by 01XJ; 03-30-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Marduk
Resident Hothead

Sweet - looking forward to seeing that come together!
Will you be able to sell the old one for some money?
Also, can't help you with the headlight, but I do have the stock naked fork brackets. They're yours (free) if they'll fit your bike and you want 'em.

Last edited by Marduk; 03-30-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Marduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
01XJ
Vice President Palin

What size are the forks? FZ are 43mm
Old 03-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Marduk
Resident Hothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01XJ View Post
What size are the forks? FZ are 43mm
I want to say 41mm, but I'll have to double check.
Not sure how much material is there, but you might be able to grind 'em down to fit. Alternatively, you can use t-bolt clamps or something similar like I did with my GSXR front end.

Tags
headlights, headlights or, hid, hmmm rice, naked