You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 05-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
krazy again
Slowpoke

Call Me: the wanderer
Odometer: 50000
Bike: '12 Triumph Tiger 800XC, HD FLHRC, '12 R6 (track/race)

Default Threw my back out good yesterday....

So all I was doing was turning to get something out of the cupboard yesterday morning. As I did, I coughed (damn allergies), and there I was, kneeling on the floor in agony. Made it through the day, barely, but couldn't sleep last night due to pain. Even got the numbness down parts of each leg. I can deal with pain, and would rate root canals as about maybe a 7 on a 1-10 scale. This pain is 9-9.5. I actually say yesterday I hit 10 when I went to the floor ad couldn't move (thank god that only lasted for about a minute. Felt like hours though.)

So I go to the doctor today. All muscular with major spasms the doctor said she could almost see happening. X-rays were clear. So, she prescribes meds...

Funny thing about the meds. She prescribes 15 pills for the muscle spasms to be taken every 8 hours. Ok, makes sense. 30 prescription strength Aleve. Again, makes sense.

Now the funny part. I get 20 Vicoden for the pain for "at night as needed." Not for nothing, and I don't mind getting the high strength pain meds because to be honest, right now I need them. But why would I get more narcotics to deal with pain (for every 8 hours), then I would get for the anti spasm meds that deal with the CAUSE of the pain?

Just saying...
krazy again is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
hatred
Karate Kid

Call Me: matthew
Odometer: handful
Bike: Mille

that's the weirdest black market drug sales pitch i've ever heard
hatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
GotTheFeelin
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Christopher
Odometer: ?
Bike: Two wheels pos

muscle relaxants are background stuff... the vic is for immediate relief.

Had spinal fusion... on 8-9 pills still blah

i describe em as... background stuff, immediate stuff, things to help offset the heavy stuff (ie naseau meds, stomach meds, things to help with being drowsy yada yada)

fun times when you're banged up
GotTheFeelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
krazy again
Slowpoke

You wish I was selling! Keeping these for myself!!! LOL!

I am just wondering about the logic of the medical profession. I am beginning to understand why people get hooked on prescription meds.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
The Outlaw
Sir DUCalot

Call Me: K
Odometer: alot
Bike: 01 R6 Champs edition, 56 Ducati, 56 F100

In the same boat. Went to dry my leg getting out of the shower this am. Went to workand collapsed in the parking lot. And hour later went home. Back spammed going down the stairs to let the dog in. Spent 45 minutes on the floor not being able to move. Let the dog in crawled upstairs and half way up spasmed again. This time worse. Scarred the dog I yelled so loud. Been in bed ever since.

LRRS/CCS AM #559 / TTD Instructor #13 / RSP Racing / Woodcraft / MTAG Pirelli / Dyno Solutions / Tony's Track Days / Sport Bike Track Gear / 434racer / Brunetto T-Shirts / Knox / GMD Computrack
R.I.P. More than there should be....

The Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Duncan
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Duncan
Odometer: 16000
Bike: PC800, VTR 2fiddy, CBR track, 50cc death machine, Razzor

I threw mine out over the winter. I had Xrays, MRI's and Cats... i had to go to massage therapy 3 times a week for 6 weeks. also Chiropractor and PT. I downgraded from the narcs to aleve and advil after 4 weeks.

You don't have to be blood to be family....

De Oppreso Liber
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
TTD
"Track" dealer

Call Me: Tony
Odometer: 100,000
Bike: CBR1000rr, KTM450exc

ahhh... it's so good to have company!

Seriously... I feel your pain.

A full on back spasm will take anyone down - instantly!

Sadly, do it once and you're that much more likely to do it again... and again...

Pirelli Track Tires!

TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
typeone
Forrest Gump

Call Me: clinton
Odometer: dirt
Bike: Beta 250RR

bummer on the back, hope it clears up for you. i've been dealing with two herniated discs (one severe) the past two seasons. no fun at all...

the Vics are just jacked up Tylenol really but be careful using them in addition to anything with acetaminophen in it. you dont want more than 4000mg of that shit in your system per day. the Vicodins are probably 5-500s (5mg hydrocodone/500mg acetaminophen) so don't over do it. you may want to because the hydrocodone definitely feels nice once you get some in your system, warm and full-body relaxing, which is why it dulls the pain and helps with sleep.

i had to eat that shit like candy for months but it definitely helped with the cocktail the doc gave me (also had an anti-inflammatory/pain pill)

watch your alcohol consumption as well, acetaminophen is just nasty stuff, works your liver and stomach over.
typeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Duncan
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Duncan
Odometer: 16000
Bike: PC800, VTR 2fiddy, CBR track, 50cc death machine, Razzor

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeone View Post
bummer on the back, hope it clears up for you. i've been dealing with two herniated discs (one severe) the past two seasons. no fun at all...

watch your alcohol consumption as well, acetaminophen is just nasty stuff, works your liver and stomach over.
i can give you the number for my massuse. she is great

You don't have to be blood to be family....

De Oppreso Liber

Last edited by Duncan; 05-11-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
krazy again
Slowpoke

K- get to a doc and some meds. Now that I took some of the spasm meds and the scrip strength Aleve I am bearing it a little better.

Duncan-PM me the name and number for the masseuse please. That with everything else might help more. Thanks.

I had the xrays done today. Doc said everything there looked fine so thank god it's not herniated discs. Both my parents had surgeries for that so I know what all is involved. I really don't want to go through that.

And I really hope I can be back to normal in a week or two tops. Riding season is here and I want to ride damnit! I m looking forward to meeting all of you! Been too long since I rode with a group.

Tags
back, good, threw, yesterday