You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Everything Bike
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #21
dynamite196
NSA BoRn Liaison
 
dynamite196's Avatar
 
Call Me: Camil
Location: CT
Odometer: <0
Bike: 07 r6
Posts: 4,295

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
Ship the bike or buy something down there and sell it when you're leaving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by downshift View Post
Phew, only two completely unhelpful replies before the useful stuff started to roll in.


Alternatively, what's the cost of shipping a bike across the country?
Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability. Then use that money to ship your bike
dynamite196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #22
CamaroJockey
Is it still a "mid-life" crisis at age 40?
 
CamaroJockey's Avatar
 
Call Me: Noel
Location: Meriden
Odometer: lots
Bike: TWINS! I fucking love twins! Wait...
Posts: 18,204

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr302 View Post
Trade the TSX in for a minivan. When you're not hauling the motorcycle, you can haul the kids to soccer practice.
You are a horrible human being.
__________________
LRRS/CCS Amateur #514 / RSP Racing / Woodcraft / MTAG Pirelli / Dyno Solutions / Tony's Track Days / Sport Bike Track Gear / 434racer / Brunetto T-Shirts / Knox / GMD Computrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
This place is about as family friendly as donkey porn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Noel is my hero
CamaroJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #23
Joey Lawrence
Brown Prince of BoRn
 
Joey Lawrence's Avatar
 
Call Me: Joe
Location: Hamden
Odometer: 100K+
Bike: A pretty one that makes great noises & a dirty one old enough to drink
Posts: 11,421

Default

Get the HF open trailer pussy.
the moto specific trailers are cool and all but only have on purpose.
at least with a open top trailer you can use it for other shit.

1.Buy a new couch for your place. fuck delivery charges you take it home with your trailer
2. Gotta tow a bike to a track day, boom use that open trailer
3. buying a pellet stove. Boom fucking trailer
4. buying a tredmill. You bet your ass you can use that trailer.
5. bringing crap to the dump.... strap it to that trailer
6. your buddy is buying a moto, let him borrow your car and trailer and pick that bitch up son
7. your other friend of awesome yet questionable morals buys and bike. take epic road trip and not one but 2 motherfucking detours around Philly! BECUSE OF MOTHERFUCKING OPEN TRAILER

edit: this all are things drinkingmymilk has towed with is open trailer a mazda3 over the years. Sac up pussy


Or you if your that concerned I just got in a brandy new white 2015 Colorado you could drive home in.

Last edited by Joey Lawrence; 02-04-2015 at 10:16 AM..
Joey Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #24
downshift
Forrest Gump
 
downshift's Avatar
 
Call Me: Gabe
Location: Westerly, RI
Odometer: -5
Bike: 1994 Yamaha FZR600RF
Posts: 1,566

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability. Then use that money to ship your bike
That's why I asked what the usual cost is...because you suggested it. I've been doing my best not to respond too abrasively to this sort of stuff in this thread but were you born a dick or did you take lessons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlanchette View Post
Or you if your that concerned I just got in a brandy new white 2015 Colorado you could drive home in.
I want that black one bad (not you, the truck) ...$38k for a mid size truck isn't going to happen anytime soon. I'd trade up for a ZDX before I did that
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3

Last edited by downshift; 02-04-2015 at 10:23 AM..
downshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #25
CamaroJockey
Is it still a "mid-life" crisis at age 40?
 
CamaroJockey's Avatar
 
Call Me: Noel
Location: Meriden
Odometer: lots
Bike: TWINS! I fucking love twins! Wait...
Posts: 18,204

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlanchette View Post
Get the HF open trailer pussy.
the moto specific trailers are cool and all but only have on purpose.
at least with a open top trailer you can use it for other shit.

1.Buy a new couch for your place. fuck delivery charges you take it home with your trailer
2. Gotta tow a bike to a track day, boom use that open trailer
3. buying a pellet stove. Boom fucking trailer
4. buying a tredmill. You bet your ass you can use that trailer.
5. bringing crap to the dump.... strap it to that trailer
6. your buddy is buying a moto, let him borrow your car and trailer and pick that bitch up son
7. your other friend of awesome yet questionable morals buys and bike. take epic road trip and not one but 2 motherfucking detours around Philly! BECUSE OF MOTHERFUCKING OPEN TRAILER

edit: this all are things drinkingmymilk has towed with is open trailer a mazda3 over the years. Sac up pussy


Or you if your that concerned I just got in a brandy new white 2015 Colorado you could drive home in.

What the FUCK? Why do I have to be the friend of awesome, but questionable, morals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downshift View Post
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/carry-on-trailerreg%3B-5-ft-x-8-ft-wood-floor-trailer-1425-lb-capacity

550 lbs. "dry" = too god damn heavy


http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...els-90154.html

250 lbs. with no boards or wheel chocks = not sure if it's too heavy but like I said that's in comparison to what I'd guess a single rail like Eric's trailer would weigh.


http://www.theusatrailerstore.com/Ac...-p/01-6701.htm

300 lbs ready to go = my goal would be something close to this.


Better?
Somewhat, but none of them are even approaching "too heavy". You can easily, and safely, to up to 1500lbs... probably a bit more. With your current car, and whatever hitch gets installed on it.
__________________
LRRS/CCS Amateur #514 / RSP Racing / Woodcraft / MTAG Pirelli / Dyno Solutions / Tony's Track Days / Sport Bike Track Gear / 434racer / Brunetto T-Shirts / Knox / GMD Computrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
This place is about as family friendly as donkey porn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Noel is my hero
CamaroJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #26
adouglas
Shrimp Boat Captain
 
adouglas's Avatar
 
Call Me: Andrew
Location: Trum-bull
Odometer: Lots
Bike: 2011 GSX-R750 street, ex-Boris 06 R6 track
Posts: 1,210

Default

FWIW I have the HF folding trailer and tow it with a Honda Fit, for goodness' sake.

Your owner's manual will list towing capacity. It will say 1,000 lbs.

Your hitch will tell you the tongue capacity. It will say 300 lbs.

So ANYTHING less than that and you'll be FINE.

Sure you won't be able to bomb down the highway at 85 but so what? Sure you'll take a fuel economy hit but so what? It's one trip.

+1 on the thing being useful for things other than hauling your bike. Once you have the tool, uses you hadn't considered will begin to occur to you.

One thing I like about the folding trailer is that it lives up against the back wall of my garage... no hassles.

Being HF the quality (especially of the wiring, which is a total joke) is what you'd expect. But it's serviceable and gets the job done.

And it cost less than $300.
__________________
Kwicherbichen. I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care. Get off my lawn, ya punk.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #27
dynamite196
NSA BoRn Liaison
 
dynamite196's Avatar
 
Call Me: Camil
Location: CT
Odometer: <0
Bike: 07 r6
Posts: 4,295

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by downshift View Post
That's why I asked what the usual cost is...because you suggested it. I've been doing my best not to respond too abrasively to this sort of stuff in this thread but were you born a dick or did you take lessons?
I'd like to take the credit, but it's really a gift I've perfected over the years.

Google a few shippers and get a quote. Last I checked shipping a car to southern cali was around $1000. That's much farther and gas was much higher when I checked.
dynamite196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #28
Joey Lawrence
Brown Prince of BoRn
 
Joey Lawrence's Avatar
 
Call Me: Joe
Location: Hamden
Odometer: 100K+
Bike: A pretty one that makes great noises & a dirty one old enough to drink
Posts: 11,421

Default

$1000 to cali, that's cheap.

I just got a quote to go from CT to Miami was 900
Joey Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #29
soofle616
Keeper of "The List"
 
soofle616's Avatar
 
Call Me: Ian
Location: Durham
Odometer: lots
Bike: Pasta, rice, and a big lump of potato
Posts: 11,217

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by downshift View Post
I'm not opposed to getting a HF trailer, I just wanted to see if there are any better options.
There is not. Purpose built is for people with enough money and storage space to have a specific tool for every occasion. If you fit into that category, you would have a truck and this wouldn't be a discussion. I don't know (and don't care) if money or storage is the issue for you but I do know that either way, you can't manage purpose built. You need a trailer to haul a bike behind your car. The harbor freight fully assembled, with a 3/4 ply deck, a wheel chock, and a 400 lb bike is going to weigh (253+80+16+400) 749 pounds. 20% of that is 150lbs of tongue weight. Total cost is going to be about (300-20%+40-20%+40) $315 for the trailer, chock, and plywood. And if you're smart and use clevis pins to hold the chock to the trailer, the chock will pop off in seconds allowing you to fold up the trailer when not in use so it takes up minimal space. You've got cheap, light, space saving AND functional all in one package. Compare that to a purpose built rail type trailer and what you get there is expensive, slightly lighter, space saving, AND utterly worthless unless you're carrying a single bike and nothing else.
soofle616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #30
MFChop
Im some sort of Asian...
 
MFChop's Avatar
 
Call Me: Matt
Location: Wolcott CT / Tuxedo NY
Odometer:
Bike: 2015 ZX6-R, 2012 GSX 1300R
Posts: 5,580

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlanchette View Post

I just got a quote to go from CT to Miami was 900
Thats ridiculous, I shipped the SLK down to Miami for around $500
__________________
LRRS / CCS AM #396 Sponsored by - Dyno Solutions - Woodcraft Technologies - Armour Bodies - Spiegler / Carbone Lorraine -
MFChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
open, shitty, talk, trailers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
With all this talk of trailers... CamaroJockey Everything Bike 100 02-13-2014 10:30 AM
Shitty week Thebronzerider Bull Pen 6 02-08-2007 08:46 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contact Us - BoRn - Archive - Top