You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Everything Bike

Old 09-28-2017, 05:03 AM   #1
richw
Ranting Geezer

Call Me: Rich
Odometer: 140000
Bike: VStrom 1k DRZ 250

Default Tier One Gas

Beaten stabil to death

Tier One gas from the major distributors Mobil, Shell, BP and even cumbies have gas put also all the cleaner etc. in them already

Who goes out of their way for Tier One gas

On the road I will use whatever gas I come along when needed but around home I have a couple of stations where tier one is only like 3 cents more so they get my business

Old 09-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
theducman
EXPERT NOVICE

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 30k
Bike: Ducati MTS1200(Street) Suzuki SV650 (Race) Honda XR100(flat track),Yamaha XT225 (Durty)

Only go out of my way.. meaning at the track... I use sunoco. On the street I try to find a good place to fill up, but always use 93 in my multi.
theducman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
soofle616
Keeper of "The List"

Call Me: Ian
Odometer: lots
Bike: Pasta, rice, and a big lump of potato

Move to MT, then worry about the gas. There's no noticeable difference in my experience between any major label gas station in CT. As long as you're not filling up at Discount Joe's Gas Shack, you're fine.

In the northwest though, there's a whole helluva lot of DJGS type places and I have had engine related issues resulting from bad/old/watered down fuel so I am more careful out there
soofle616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
The Magician
Chief

Call Me: Rob
Odometer: 150000+
Bike: 2008 Kawasaki ZX10R

I use "top tier" gas in my car because of the direct injection fuel system. For the bike, I usually do the same but if I have to stop at a no name place for gas, I'll still fill it up without hesitation. The car, I'll wait until I find a gas station that has top tier fuel. I ran a couple tanks of crap fuel in there and it notices the difference.
The Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #5
Kurlon
Shrimp Boat Captain

Call Me: Joshua
Odometer: 25k
Bike: Yamaha FZR400RR SP

Note, high test may have light cleaners added, it does not have any long term stabilizers.
Kurlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
crazyirish101
I fall down, go boom

Call Me: BK
Odometer: 50k+
Bike: 2013 Ducati scrap pile

Gas is gas is gas is gas..... all gets pumped off the same ships, and barges. Only difference is the "additives". Shell has their own, Mobil, and cumbies too, otherwise most stations/brands all use the same additive blend. Also ALL brands get the same amount of ethanol which is dispensed by pulse injectors when the trucks are filled.
So I don't care what state, town etc the gas station is it's all the same.

So at the end of the day buy what's cheapest from wherever

Reed. a rider, a brother, a friend. though you have fallen you will never be forgotten and forever in our hearts you will be smiling down on us.

LRRS/CCS Expert #90 / RSP Racing / Woodcraft / MTAG Pirelli / Dyno Solutions / Tony's Track Days / Sport Bike Track Gear / 434racer / Brunetto T-Shirts / Knox / GMD Computrack
crazyirish101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
Mr. Kurtz
Kurtacus Spartacus

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 100,000
Bike: 04 R6, 88 ZX600C, 12 EX650R, 05 450 EXC, 03 XR100, 03 Ego, 05 TTR15LE, 00 Aprilia SR50

I tend to fill up at Cumberland Farms when available(car and truck), because I use their app and save $0.10 per gallon.

RV, I'll go to whatever gas station is on my path that I can fit into and out of.

Motorcycle...whatever gas station is where I am when I need gas.
Mr. Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
The Magician
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirish101 View Post
Gas is gas is gas is gas..... all gets pumped off the same ships, and barges. Only difference is the "additives". Shell has their own, Mobil, and cumbies too, otherwise most stations/brands all use the same additive blend. Also ALL brands get the same amount of ethanol which is dispensed by pulse injectors when the trucks are filled.
So I don't care what state, town etc the gas station is it's all the same.

So at the end of the day buy what's cheapest from wherever
my car has a noticeable sputter at idle using "no name brand" gas. I filled up there because it was cheaper, but when I fill up at BP or Shell the sputter is gone. Also much less carbon buildup after the second 10k miles of BP / Shell gas vs. the first 10k of "murphy express". Car has 27k miles on it now.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
soofle616
Keeper of "The List"

Call Me: Ian
Odometer: lots
Bike: Pasta, rice, and a big lump of potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
my car has a noticeable sputter at idle using "no name brand" gas. I filled up there because it was cheaper, but when I fill up at BP or Shell the sputter is gone. Also much less carbon buildup after the second 10k miles of BP / Shell gas vs. the first 10k of "murphy express". Car has 27k miles on it now.
You sure you're not attributing the effects of break in to the fuel?
soofle616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
The Magician
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
You sure you're not attributing the effects of break in to the fuel?
yeah... it was smooth at firs twhen I used top tier gas as recommended. Then I said, gas is gas, and switched to the 30 cent cheaper gas down the road. A couple tanks and the idle while stopped was sputtering slightly. Switched back eventually to the more expensive top tier gas and no more sputtering. The sputtering could be turned on by filling up at a Parker's or murphy express station here and turned off with Shell or BP.

Tags
gas, tier