You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
ilikenapalm
Vice President Palin
 
ilikenapalm's Avatar
 
Call Me: Matt All Together
Location: Manchester
Odometer: Some
Bike: I'm A Squid
Posts: 3,638

Default Finding / Building the right house

This post is probably going to be a little scatter brained, mostly because I'm not great at getting my ideas onto paper.

Alright, so here's the deal. I'd like to find a smallish house (<1,000 sq ft) with like a three car garage or some shit. Basically, I want room to park my car, have room to work on a few bikes, and room for a golf simulator bay (lol) and room for a decent home gym (squat rack, treadmill, etc.)

I spent a solid 4-5 hours last night looking at what's available on the market and what ends up coming back is a bunch of cookie cutter condos.

It's looking like building is going to probably be the way to go. I remember Tony's thread from a while back (
New House Journey - Band Of Riders
) that had some pretty decent floor plans for what seems like could be an ideal setup.

If I end up building, I think I'll end up buying an acre or two somewhere and then leaving room to build a full house afterward.

I guess the point of the thread.... any suggestions on floor plans? Suggestions for fit and finish?
ilikenapalm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
ITGbuDeev
Ginga' Ninja

 
ITGbuDeev's Avatar
 
Call Me: Kyle
Location: beacon falls
Odometer: 20,000
Bike: VFR800, zx6rr
Posts: 6,207

Default

Look at pre-fab houses. they have come a LONG way recently, and since they are building them in factories, the quality of build is way better than an onsite build, and you have the ability to customize them.

We have been looking in to the idea of a prefab build to fit our non-traditional desires, and then a 2 wide 2 deep detached garage/barn with loft after we move in.
ITGbuDeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Joey Lawrence
Brown Prince of BoRn
 
Joey Lawrence's Avatar
 
Call Me: Joe
Location: Hamden
Odometer: 100K+
Bike: A pretty one that makes great noises & a dirty one old enough to drink
Posts: 11,424

Default

i would say just sit down with a builder and see what its gonna cost. but at that point i feel that its starting to get expensive quick. and at that point, you could have just gotten a nice bigger house.

then if your looking at an older house, that is the right size, and adding the garage later, your dealing with all of the old house problems of crappy lay-out and tiny ass bedrooms that cant fit a king size bed.

depending on condo fees, a nice newer one with a 2 car garage is would give you the room.

Look l like my house alot and the space, but i was perfectly cool with condo life.
__________________
2nd owner of theHawhandcordone

WHOA


#dirtyprince
Joey Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
ITGbuDeev
Ginga' Ninja

 
ITGbuDeev's Avatar
 
Call Me: Kyle
Location: beacon falls
Odometer: 20,000
Bike: VFR800, zx6rr
Posts: 6,207

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Lawrence View Post
i would say just sit down with a builder and see what its gonna cost. but at that point i feel that its starting to get expensive quick. and at that point, you could have just gotten a nice bigger house.

then if your looking at an older house, that is the right size, and adding the garage later, your dealing with all of the old house problems of crappy lay-out and tiny ass bedrooms that cant fit a king size bed.

depending on condo fees, a nice newer one with a 2 car garage is would give you the room.

Look l like my house alot and the space, but i was perfectly cool with condo life.
Not everybody WANTS a big house. After living in mine, that is exactly what I DON'T want. I know what parts of my house I like and what we use, and I want that, in a sub 1500sq/ft living space with a large workshop area.

The pre-fabs i've been looking at do a great job of that. 1500sf, custom chefs kitchen, master with bath and walk in, 2nd bed reasonable size, another bath for guests, living room/ TV room. you decide on slab or foundation. add a large external garage in the future and i'm in the money
ITGbuDeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
ilikenapalm
Vice President Palin
 
ilikenapalm's Avatar
 
Call Me: Matt All Together
Location: Manchester
Odometer: Some
Bike: I'm A Squid
Posts: 3,638

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGbuDeev View Post
Look at pre-fab houses. they have come a LONG way recently, and since they are building them in factories, the quality of build is way better than an onsite build, and you have the ability to customize them.

We have been looking in to the idea of a prefab build to fit our non-traditional desires, and then a 2 wide 2 deep detached garage/barn with loft after we move in.
Have you looked into any particular pre-fab companies? This is a good idea, I just have no idea where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Lawrence View Post
i would say just sit down with a builder and see what its gonna cost. but at that point i feel that its starting to get expensive quick. and at that point, you could have just gotten a nice bigger house.

then if your looking at an older house, that is the right size, and adding the garage later, your dealing with all of the old house problems of crappy lay-out and tiny ass bedrooms that cant fit a king size bed.

depending on condo fees, a nice newer one with a 2 car garage is would give you the room.

Look l like my house alot and the space, but i was perfectly cool with condo life.

Yeah, I think the biggest problem is, to get a decent sized garage with a condo, I'd end up with too big of a place. My condo in Middletown (2BR, 1.5 bath, 1200 sq ft) has a garage that would work for one or two of the things I'm looking for, but not the whole package. My tastes aren't exactly mainstream in terms of wanting to live in a relatively small footprint, while having so much room for activities.
ilikenapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
ilikenapalm
Vice President Palin
 
ilikenapalm's Avatar
 
Call Me: Matt All Together
Location: Manchester
Odometer: Some
Bike: I'm A Squid
Posts: 3,638

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGbuDeev View Post
Not everybody WANTS a big house. After living in mine, that is exactly what I DON'T want. I know what parts of my house I like and what we use, and I want that, in a sub 1500sq/ft living space with a large workshop area.

The pre-fabs i've been looking at do a great job of that. 1500sf, custom chefs kitchen, master with bath and walk in, 2nd bed reasonable size, another bath for guests, living room/ TV room. you decide on slab or foundation. add a large external garage in the future and i'm in the money
Yeah, that pretty much sums me up... my house is 1,800 sq ft with an unfinished, but very usable basement. If I didn't have roommates, only about 800 sq ft of the house would ever get used.
ilikenapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
csmutty
Freakin' Luddite
 
csmutty's Avatar
 
Call Me: Christian
Location: Pomfret
Odometer: Seventy
Bike: 1992 GS500, 1998 EX500, 2003 YZ125
Posts: 10,283

Default

I've been looking for the same exact thing and have found NOTHING used after looking for approximately 9 months.

This is what I would probably build if/when I decide to do it.

https://gensteel.com/steel-building-kits/30x80-home





__________________
-Christian LRRS/CCS #856 ECK RacingGMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | OnTrack Media

2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Last edited by csmutty; 07-10-2018 at 12:10 PM..
csmutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
SkinnyR
Karate Kid
 
SkinnyR's Avatar
 
Call Me: Mike
Location: Burlington, CT
Odometer: 40k
Bike: All sold
Posts: 602

Default

Any of you guys married that talk about living in a shoebox with a monster garage? I know I used to say I'd live in the same thing, but unless you are single or want to be forever, that shit won't fly or you will be moving in no time.
__________________
RIP Reed. Never to be forgotten.
SkinnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
db79
Forrest Gump
 
Call Me: Dave
Location: Southington, CT
Odometer: unknown
Bike: GSXRs, VFR
Posts: 1,878

Default

Find a house you like on a lot that will support building a attached/detached garage to your preference. Or go the more expensive route of finding a lot and building it all.

Finding decent virgin lots is becoming harder and more expensive.
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
ilikenapalm
Vice President Palin
 
ilikenapalm's Avatar
 
Call Me: Matt All Together
Location: Manchester
Odometer: Some
Bike: I'm A Squid
Posts: 3,638

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyR View Post
Any of you guys married that talk about living in a shoebox with a monster garage? I know I used to say I'd live in the same thing, but unless you are single or want to be forever, that shit won't fly or you will be moving in no time.
If I go build route - Build what I want now and leave room for the forever home later. Rent my shit out when the house is done. Move the asshole teenager (s) into there after.
ilikenapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
building, finding, house

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some help finding..... The Outlaw Bull Pen 9 03-03-2012 10:07 AM
finding an apartment. ctbandit Bull Pen 9 04-19-2010 09:43 AM
Need help finding right computer ct954 Bull Pen 9 02-15-2007 07:46 PM
Need help finding a song CamaroJockey Bull Pen 6 02-15-2007 11:46 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contact Us - BoRn - Archive - Top