You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 11-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #41
SkinnyR
Karate Kid

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 40k
Bike: All sold

Ok, thanks everyone for the insight. It looks to me that I will just buy a gigabit router like what Steve referenced, and I should be good to go.

I plan to use these cameras, in conjunction with a separate DIY custom cobbled type driveway photoelectric eye alarm. My main concern is that I want to know if someone is messing with my stuff at night, since that is what is most prevalent around here. Its infrequent, but happens every year in different areas when the weather warms up. Kids come in from Waterbury or wherever, and rummage through unlocked cars and what not. I want an audible heads up if the beam is crossed, and the ability to see and record things at night. And it will be nice to log in anytime of day to check on things, but that really isn't that important to me.

Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #42
nhbubba
Karate Kid

Call Me: Colin
Odometer: A bunch
Bike: Something cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
Old linksys in the garage - make sure it has it's own IP... And make sure it has DHCP turned off. Let your new one handle the assignment of IP's on the network. I think there's an AP mode you have to turn on on that old linksys. Give it the same network SSID and password and it should work seamlessly.
The open-source DD-WRT firmware may be of value here. Or at least their help docs. They have a couple different pre-canned multi router/bridge/ap scenarios nicely documented including guides on how to setup the various devices in your network. I had a setup pretty close to what you're describing; a main wireless AP/cable gateway in the basement with a 2nd AP in my garage attic set as just an AP with the gateway functions all disabled. As said, DHCP was managed by the basement device and both used the same SSID so the wireless net was just extended and seamless between garage and house. Although I was not running video, so having an older device in the garage running at 100Mbps was okay.
nhbubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cameras, home, security