You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen > Fat burners

Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #21
krazy again
Slowpoke

Call Me: the wanderer
Odometer: 50000
Bike: '12 Triumph Tiger 800XC, HD FLHRC, '12 R6 (track/race)

Thanks guys. I'll be looking to try a bunch of these suggestions and see what works best for me.

As to the pre workout and empty stomach, not this time. I learned my lesson!. I had eaten about an hour or so before the gym. One of my biggest issues is a set schedule. With my job, it's near to impossible. There are days I hit the gym right before work, right after, and middle of the day. Kinda sucks.

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )
krazy again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #22
///3oris
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: B
Odometer: 6000
Bike: '15 Yamaha R1

Ok, back on my computer...

I've never felt like puking, so don't know what that may be, but based on what I've read I'll take a guess.

Personally, I usually work out after coming home from work, so I'll have a Clif Bar and/or Apple/Banana (I should actually be working out right now - will go down stairs in a bit). I have a shake during/after and eat after.

So my guess is that when you're squatting you're creating a lot of intra-abdominal pressure. You may not even know you're doing it, but your entire core is contracting as hard as it can to protect your lumbar spine. Not only are you creating a ton of pressure there, but you're also raising your blood pressure through the roof. (EDIT: Forgot, you're also taxing your central nervous system!). All of that combined after a meal, I would imagine, wouldn't feel too good.

As I said earlier, it's extremely important that you back off on weight and go to a linear program concentrating on form and full range of motion (ROM). It'll start out feeling easy, but don't worry it'll progress quickly. Whatever program you choose, make sure it centers around the squat. It's the single most important lift in both power-lifting and bodybuilding. It works the most muscles, improves total body strength, releases the most testosterone and will set you up for everything else. Additionally, the program should be centered around free weights - NO SMITH MACHINES! Make sure the squat is the first exercise in your program as well.

Good luck.... let us know if changing when/how much you eat fixes your puking problem.

Last edited by ///3oris; 03-03-2015 at 08:13 PM..
///3oris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #23
tecster
Forrest Gump

Call Me: -
Bike: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy again View Post
Thanks guys. I'll be looking to try a bunch of these suggestions and see what works best for me.

As to the pre workout and empty stomach, not this time. I learned my lesson!. I had eaten about an hour or so before the gym. One of my biggest issues is a set schedule. With my job, it's near to impossible. There are days I hit the gym right before work, right after, and middle of the day. Kinda sucks.

This...this is my hurdle right now. I am usually a 3-11 guy, unless there is overtime or a bump to days like tomorrow so now it throws off my whole plan haha
Old 03-04-2015, 06:12 AM   #24
marshdrummer
Pit Boss

Call Me: Jay
Odometer: lots
Bike: 2011 R1 (street/track)

Thank you Boris for saying NO SMITH MACHINES FOR SQUATTING! Squatting uses so many osecondary muscles that are imperative you strengthen that you cannot any other way. Smith machine defeats that entire purpose.
marshdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #25
erinw
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Erin
Odometer: 1000
Bike: SV650 aka #434

Not to mention that they'll blow out your knees from the position it requires you to be in......Here's a nice article on them. http://liftbigeatbig.com/squats-barb...smith-machine/

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
Thank you Boris for saying NO SMITH MACHINES FOR SQUATTING! Squatting uses so many osecondary muscles that are imperative you strengthen that you cannot any other way. Smith machine defeats that entire purpose.
erinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #26
The Snowman
Bikeless in Blackstone

Call Me: Chuck
Odometer: >50,000
Bike: N/A

You could try an aerobic/leg day, but it's difficult at a gym.

This means using a treadmill, jumping off mid-workout, and doing a set of something for the legs.

I do 1:00 walk/run, followed by a set of squats w/ dumbbells. Then repeat several times.

This loosens the legs up a little between sets.

DON'T FORGET TO STRETCH DURING OR AFTER EVERY WORKOUT!
CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
|
The Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #27
///3oris
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: B
Odometer: 6000
Bike: '15 Yamaha R1

Jay and Erin, good stuff!

Jay, when did you get into lifting? I know you dropped a bunch of weight in the past couple of years, is that a result of hitting the gym? I've been reading a few of your posts and you're preaching good stuff!
///3oris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #28
Sean724
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Sean
Odometer: idk
Bike: 2000 CBR929RR

I really like these stretches (even though they look totally stupid) to help me keep form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

And +1 on lower weight, no pad, work on form. Also ass to grass, beyond parallel.

Last edited by Sean724; 03-04-2015 at 07:31 PM..
Sean724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #29
makct04
Too Short to drag knee.

Call Me: Mo
Odometer: Couple
Bike: 600RR

My addition to this thread: Drink lots of water, all the time. My goal is to drink about 100-120oz of water per day. Thanks Kurtz.
Team Brown - LRRS #521
makct04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #30
yzedf
Grip it and rip it

Call Me: Chris
Odometer: 60k+
Bike: pedal power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
You could try an aerobic/leg day, but it's difficult at a gym.

This means using a treadmill, jumping off mid-workout, and doing a set of something for the legs.

I do 1:00 walk/run, followed by a set of squats w/ dumbbells. Then repeat several times.

This loosens the legs up a little between sets.

DON'T FORGET TO STRETCH DURING OR AFTER EVERY WORKOUT!
I used to do circuit training, don't know if that is still a thing. 45 minutes and I would be wiped out.
yzedf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
questions, workout or fitness