You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 01-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #321
db79
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Dave
Odometer: unknown
Bike: GSXRs, VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01XJ View Post
Who do I seek out to discuss long term financial strategy? Financial advisor, planner? Is there a difference? I looked briefly a while ago and one method of payment was they figure out all your assets, etc and take 1% or something like that. I want no part of that. I'm very happy to pay an hourly rate once a year or so.
Look for a fee only Financial Planner (CFP). You will essentially want to be able to interview them to win your business. As the knowledge/skills/experience of Planners & "Advisors" can vary greatly per individual. In order to do so you should be able to have all of your goals and objectives written out and have a general understanding of various aspects of what it may require to reach milestones on your way to the goals. To put it in perspective, do you go to a car dealer to purchase a new car without first researching MSRP, invoice, options, competitive pricing, brand & models, etc..

It is fairly common that while individuals educate themselves on their finances they become knowledgeable enough and comfortable addressing their own questions and thus no longer require the need of a Planner. But, a Planner can serve a purpose and be useful in specific cases. Know up front what you are seeking and have all information organized and presentable.
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement, savings