You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 04-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
FasYankee
Lemming King

Call Me: Darren
Odometer: I walk
Bike: I don't even know what's going on in the garage anymore....

Default Jeep guru assistance required

I just picked up a well preserved 2000 cherokee Laredo. PO was having issues with the “computer”. Basically the thing would just die on him and a replacement computer alleviated the problem......replaced it something like 5-7 times without looking for the root cause of the failure. He got sick of it and got himself a replacement ride. Now I’ve looked into it and apparently the drivers door wiring harness could be the culprit but all I find is “check the drivers door harness” without any insight as to what to look for, what wire, connector, plug, joint, etc could be the issue.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
everybody wants to be black till the cops show up.
FasYankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
The Outlaw
Sir DUCalot

Call Me: K
Odometer: alot
Bike: 01 R6 Champs edition, 56 Ducati, 56 F100

Does the brain get zapped and is fried and that's why it needs to be replaced? If so then that means a short somewhere. So look for obvious signs of wear starting in that harness. Also look to disconnect the harness all together and see if the issue comes back.

If it does and you can't see any signs of exposed wires start to ohm out all the wires in the harness to see what ones may be the issue.

If it's a door harness my guess is that the harness got pinched and a short is happening.

LRRS/CCS AM #559 / TTD Instructor #13 / RSP Racing / Woodcraft / MTAG Pirelli / Dyno Solutions / Tony's Track Days / Sport Bike Track Gear / 434racer / Brunetto T-Shirts / Knox / GMD Computrack
R.I.P. More than there should be....

The Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
FasYankee
Lemming King

Call Me: Darren
Odometer: I walk
Bike: I don't even know what's going on in the garage anymore....

Yeah that’s the first thing I did was disconnect the door harness. One of the related symptoms was the gauges weren’t responding properly, the overhead screen would be blank and the ODO would flicker. Now the overhead screen reads low coolant....which it isn’t, and the ODO isn’t flickering. I just need to use this thing temporarily while my clutch gets replace in my Cruze then I’m gonna tear into it properly......possibly do a lift, other mods....maybe.....depending on how it goes with the computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
everybody wants to be black till the cops show up.
FasYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
01XJ
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Adam
Odometer: 1
Bike: Street Triple

Google the xj yellow wire fix. Had it in my 01 xj.... Heh.

Edit, that's not it. I'm asking some friends who still have jeeps. I think it was a single jumper wire repair.

Last edited by 01XJ; 04-26-2018 at 03:55 PM..
01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
chrismpero
Choo Choo

Call Me: Chris
Odometer: Enuff
Bike: 2016 Kawasaki Concours 14

Working on every yr XJ from Renault electronics to Hi outputs to those I've never seen a door harness cause that issue. Crank sensors were extremely common, later ones with the coil pack, fuel pumps and once in a while a PCM. Is it throwing codes? Does the PCM reset every time it does it? Only way to tell that is with a good scan tool that tells you how many starts since (Fault) set..
chrismpero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
drinkingmymilk
I swear, I'm an adult.

Call Me: Chris
Odometer: 40k
Bike: pedals, a revolving door and a triple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismpero View Post
Working on every yr XJ from Renault electronics to Hi outputs to those I've never seen a door harness cause that issue. Crank sensors were extremely common, later ones with the coil pack, fuel pumps and once in a while a PCM. Is it throwing codes? Does the PCM reset every time it does it? Only way to tell that is with a good scan tool that tells you how many starts since (Fault) set..
Listen to chris and toss out 90% of what others say. He was a master tech for a Jeep/Chrysler dealer.

That said it’s a fucking ghost.

Matt 9/19/10
drinkingmymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
MFChop
Im some sort of Asian...

Call Me: Matt
Odometer:
Bike: 2015 ZX6-R, 2012 GSX 1300R

Like Pero said. It needs to be scanned with a proper scan tool. I have an Altel and a Matco Exodus if you want to pass through the dirty water with it for a quick scan.

PS just because theres no CEL doesnt mean its not throwing internal codes / faults
LRRS / CCS AM #396 Sponsored by - Dyno Solutions - Woodcraft Technologies - Armour Bodies - Spiegler / Carbone Lorraine -
MFChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Linus
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Mike
Bike: 1999 Suzuki DR650SE/2002 Suzuki SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismpero View Post
This, I had to replace the ECM in my Ram. Sometimes the rebuilders don't get it right the first time.

Tags
assistance, guru, jeep, required