You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > Market Place > I Want/Need

Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
tecster
Forrest Gump

Call Me: -
Bike: None

Default Fitness Guru

Looking for a fitness guru...this would be perfect for someone who is looking to become a personal trainer and is looking for a first client. I'm in need of some guidance and someone to help me get/stay motivated along with show me the proper way to do things in a gym, my overall goal is to be able to pass the CT Post Exam which I will list the requirements to below. Preferably it would be someone who like myself works second shift and is a night owl and would be interested in going after 2300hrs 3-4 times a week. I'm located in Enfield, someone local would be nice.

What would be your payment you may ask because no one works for free... I would be more then happy to pay for your gym membership that is a REASONABLE amount at a 24/7 gym obviously. Someone have a home gym? That'd be perfect...and I would compensate you.

Current Physical Fitness Standards : Age 20-29
Sit Ups : 38 / 1 minute
Push Ups : 29 / 1 minute
Sit & Reach : 16.5"
1.5 Mile Run : 12:29

Thanks in advance...hope this interests someone.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
motorsport_mike
Shrimp

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: a few
Bike: No more for this season!

Good luck in your endeavors...

Just a tip, from someone who has served in the military and frequently took similar tests...

The best way to improve your sit ups is to do sit ups...
The best way to improve your push ups is to do push ups...
etc...

I fully encourage you to begin a complete training program, etc... but improving your bench press does not always correlate to more push ups, if you get what I'm saying.

Disclaimer: I am not a certified trainer, this is just from my personal experience

Good Luck!
motorsport_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
krazy again
Slowpoke

Call Me: the wanderer
Odometer: 50000
Bike: '12 Triumph Tiger 800XC, HD FLHRC, '12 R6 (track/race)

Rob, having done this test multiple times in the past (difference being the bench press was used, not push ups), it is very doable. I actually suggest staying away from a gym for these, and I'll explain. If any personal trainers here/fitness people disagree, I completely understand as I am no where near one. Just talking from experience...

First question is when are you taking the test? That gauges how long you have to prepare. The run is where you will have the biggest problem.

Sit and reach...16.5" is actually about 2" past your toes. Start tonight. This takes stretching and conditioning. Start working on the diet too. The more you can lose off your midsection will help your sit and reach. As you do it, take in a breath and then let it out as you stretch. Now, stretch at least 3-5 times a day. You'll find that this is actually the easiest part of the test.

Situps...again, start now. test yourself. You may find that you can make this already if you are even near not obese. By the time I was getting out of the academy, I did 65 or 66. It's not tough. When your pounding them out at speed it becomes easier. However, to train for it, do them slowly. DO NOT DO CRUNCHES!!! That will be detrimental. Do real situps. Do 15/20/25+ at a time and work our way up. Do them slow, both up and down, and increase your speed and reps as days go by. This will not be that tough.

Pushups...pretty much the same. DO NOT CHEAT! Stick a soda bottle sideways underneath where your chest comes closest to the ground and use that as your gauge. When you touch the bottle, push up. Do this slow and steady, not for time, and slowly increase how many you can do. Go to exhaustion, wait a minute, repeat. Set yourself goals for numbers. Start at 10, then 12, then 15, etc. Then, increase your speed. You'll find this will work.

And then the part that gets most applicants, the run....TREADMILLS SUCK AND WILL F YOU UP! Get outside and run! Start with a slow jog. Don't do it for time. If you haven't run in a while, just get out there to a track and run at a comfortable pace and see how many laps you can do before you noticeably slow down. If you want, check a watch when you start, put it down, and then check it when you are done, never having worn it. See what your time was and for what distance...

then, train a bit more for the run by doing intermittent sprints. Run the straight at the track, slow and jog the turn, repeat. Do this repeatedly as comfortable.

With the run, increase the distance you are running as time progresses. Remember, doing the 1 1/2 mile is great in the time you are supposed to, but remember that depending on the academy you will be running distances up to 10 miles, depending on the academy they send you to. (we had up to 8 on relatively flat distances, but did 5-6 with a LOT of uphills at times).

Just remember, slow and steady increases to everything. Set a weekly goal that is attainable that will make it so you are going better than the requirements.

Working out at a gym is great for most stuff, and I am NOT knocking it. Can you do it and pass the test? Absolutely. But training for specifics such as this test can generally be best done by doing the actual exercises.

Hope that helps. And good luck.

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )
krazy again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
krazy again
Slowpoke

Annnd Mike responded while I was typing my book.

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
motorsport_mike
Shrimp

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: a few
Bike: No more for this season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy again View Post
Annnd Mike responded while I was typing my book.
Brian, I love the effort you put into your posts (and sometimes rants!)
motorsport_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
tecster
Forrest Gump

Call Me: -
Bike: None

Brian, I have no time period well I do - and that's within' the next 2 years. Being that I'm in a stable career right now, I'm in no big rush. More time, more practice, preparedness I can have. I hate running...like - despise of it. Seriously.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
krazy again
Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport_mike View Post
Brian, I love the effort you put into your posts (and sometimes rants!)
Haven't ranted in a bit (I think). And I just thought I would put some effort into this one and actually try to be helpful.

(and you just like it because it basically 100% agreed with what you said too)

Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
krazy again
Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecster View Post
Brian, I have no time period well I do - and that's within' the next 2 years. Being that I'm in a stable career right now, I'm in no big rush. More time, more practice, preparedness I can have. I hate running...like - despise of it. Seriously.
Trust me, I hate running more than anything else I can truly think of. BUT, it definitely has its place. And if you have 2 years, hell, even a few months, start like I said, do that, AND hit the gym doing what you like there. What I posted was actually given to me by a man who had taught physical fitness for over 30 years, coaches a number of sports in CT, and is probably in much better shape at almost 60 than I have ever been in my life.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Bluewarrior7
Karate Kid

Call Me: Terry
Odometer: 15000
Bike: 2004 Harley Davidson Night Train

Rob, I workout Monday through Friday 6 a.m. - 8 a.m. at LA Fitness in Newington. Not sure where your job is but if your down around that way I'd be happy to be your workout partner. Hell I'll even take the CT post exam with you so were both working towards the same goal.
Bluewarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Daimian

Call Me: Richard Cranium
Odometer: 6 & 1/2
Bike: is 14 years older than me

The only help I can offer, is that it's up to you to do these things. The only thing you need is self discipline. Working out, exercising and eating right is easy, it really is. Most people think well I need somebody to show me the ropes or I need somebody to motivate me when in actuality you don't. What you need is motivation, determination and drive, the only person that should be held accountable for you physical health is you. People want excuses, and that the beautiful thing about getting in shape, there aren't any. If you're not sticking to you regiment or you're eating unhealthy it shows and you have no one to blame for it but yourself

Sorry about the rant, I am not a personal trainer but it annoys me when people think they need a class or group or trainer to get up and do something. START TODAY! NO EXCUSES! Go to a gym sign a membership and start working out. Remember it's going to take you a few months of torture to start seeing decent results, but don't get dicouraged. Look up good routines on the internet and then hold yourself accountable for getting there at least 4 times a week and doing what needs to be done. I hate working out, and if you'd ever met me you would think I was lying to you, but I seriously do. I hold myself to those exact standards I just said to you. Get there, do it and no excuses, sure I could skip a few days here or there and it wouldn't hurt anybody except me, and that's the thing I'm only cheating myself if I don't do it.

Look at yourself and what you want to accomplish and then decide are you all in or are you out, There is no half in shape.
3. 1&2 Are Lies
4. You're A Pussy

Last edited by Daimian; 06-06-2012 at 09:09 AM..
Daimian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness, guru