You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Everything Bike

Old 04-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
boosten lebaron
Shrimp

Call Me: eric
Odometer: 200,000
Bike: 2010 r1

Default bmw advice please

This is possibly aimed at ching but I'm not sure how well versed he is in middle aged beemers.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a no frills bike to travel across Europe on. I have a couple transalp and Africa twins I could use but I'm looking for something slightly more disposable. I'm not entirely sure I will ride the bike back home to london when I do take the trip due to time mostly. I can cover alot more ground if I know I'm just going to fly back, it effectively doubles my range. I think I can squeeze 2 or 3 weeks out of work for the trip and that will probably get me to Russia somewhere, maybe even Moscow, where I just park the bike and get on a plane. if I split that time up for the ride back I'm not sure I can even make it to Istanbul.
So I think I'm fairly settled on a bmw of some sort. For the most part they are cheap and plentiful. I've really been leaning towards a mid to late 90's f650 funduro. I can get them for about a grand all day long and they like decent bikes but I really know nothing about them.
one particular bike that I keep going back to is a local guy selling a 1984 k100rt that's in really nice shape. It's fully set up for looooong range riding and comfort. The bonus is that it has already gone around Europe recently so I know it's up to the task. What I don't know is pretty much anything about the bikes themselves. It seems the forums are full of bmw lovers who see no wrong with the bikes much like the car forums and I know those suck.
Any advise would be nice. Even alternative rides. I have a much broader range of choices here than America and I'm sure I don't know them all. xf650 free winds are almost free here and get rave reviews but I never really cared for my brothers dr650 so I haven't really given them a fair shake. Maybe I should?
boosten lebaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Imbeek
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: Gary
Odometer: A lot
Bike: A few faithful beaters.

I had an 85 k100rs for almost 20 years...they call them "the flying brick" for good reason. I guess the rt would be good for eating up miles, especially highway/autobahn miles, but they feel tall and not very flickable in the twisties. Similarly with the power, 1000ccs will get you plenty of pickup and speed, but no need to worry about spinning the tire or wheelies, that's for sure.

They are notorious for the speedo and odometer to just quit working mid ride and then start working again when they feel like it. Not a big deal for speed, once you know the rpms to shoot for in top gear, but if you need the odometer for nav, that might be a problem.
For $1000 and leave it like a disposible in Moscow, sure...for a long term ride because you love riding, it's like eating vanilla ice cream. Plain and boring.
Imbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
boosten lebaron
Shrimp

plain and boring sounds OK. That what made me keep going back to it. So simple and frills it can't be that bad. How is it for 2 up if I take the wife with me? That's not really my plan but she may join me for certain legs of the trip.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Imbeek
Lieutenant Dan

Odometer: A lot
Bike: A few faithful beaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
How is it for 2 up if I take the wife with me?
Better than a lot of bikes but they are still leaning forward...well, I'm talking RS model. No idea on the RT...should be better than RS for the passenger.
Imbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
AEG
Forrest Stump

Call Me: Alex
Odometer: 1x,xxx
Bike: FZ1

Not much on the BMW advice here, but, regarding your entry into rusha I'd prefer a fully loaded B-1.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
boosten lebaron
Shrimp

Haha. I may not end up there but i am heading in that direction. I know i will probably go to instanbul simply because im familiar with the city. Where i go after that is up in the air entirely. Russia is a consideration but thats more my wife.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:08 AM   #7
Fitron
Shrimp Food

Odometer: Rolled
Bike: 2004 Honda RC51 Nicky Hayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEG View Post
Not much on the BMW advice here, but, regarding your entry into rusha I'd prefer a fully loaded B-1.
I see you prefer speed over stealth, komrade!
Fitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:45 AM   #8
AEG
Forrest Stump

Call Me: Alex
Odometer: 1x,xxx
Bike: FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitron View Post
I see you prefer speed over stealth, komrade!

And a payload not too shabby
Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
lucky6600
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: Ching
Odometer: enough
Bike: Not enough Beemers

I didn't see this thread until today ... and hope it's not too late

The youngest of the k100 is about 25+ years old. It will break and you can't fix on the side of the road not find a part down the street, end of the story for your trip!!

K75, K100, K1100 and some K1200 are call flying bricks because the way engine placed. I never a big fan of those "flying bricks" for couple reasons.
1) liquid cooled engine means there are more things to break
2) top heavy
3) HOT .. the engine heat can make you some scramble eggs.
4) way too many things could get wrong and parts are not unexpansive.

..............those wonderful smooth fast K bikes are cheap for reasons.

If you pay attention for those who traveling all over the world, none of them will take a liquid cooled full fairing motorcycle with them. The reason is the reliability, repair, and maintenance.

When you traveling that kind of distance, you pare pretty much carrying another bike worth of the parts with you. The simply the bike the less spare parts that you need to carry.

Hope that helps ... O BTW, I do have a K100 for sale ...

It has not been running for 10+ years and I don't even have any motivation to bring it back to life in my own garage.

lucky6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:42 AM   #10
boosten lebaron
Shrimp

I ended up picking up another gsxr400 while looking at these. I got a good deal and couldn't pass it up.

I did pretty much settle on the funduro though. I just gotta clear some space in the garage. I'm either going to ship back this little 400 or my nsr to the states then I can get another bike.

Last edited by boosten lebaron; 05-17-2017 at 04:51 AM..

Tags
advice, bmw