You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Everything Bike

Old 05-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
mungea
I'm the Nice One

Call Me: Adam
Odometer: 15000+
Bike: 2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Default Triumph motor may be junk....opinions/suggestions?

So first off, I'm an idiot

I went to change the oil/coolant/flush the brake fluid on Saturday morning, and when I went to drain the oil, all of the coolant came out too. I was a little puzzled for about 5 seconds until I realized what must have happened, it froze. I looked at the jug I had used last season when I switched it over, and reading the fine print, it "contains no anti-freeze, do not use in conditions of 32*F or below". Needless to say, I had the bike in the shed all winter and it went through a few good freezes.

Now, I have not torn anything apart or looked at it since Saturday, I feel so stupid I can't bring myself to go back into the garage. My question is: What's next?

I called Mark's Motorsports in Enfield, and they said it was too big of a project to even look at until late fall/winter. I've also looked at some used motors from eBAY, and they are somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range, in various condition, all with more miles than are currently on the bike and/or have some sort of damage (scrapped up, broken motor mount, etc).

I'm on the fence about keeping it and trying to fix it vs. trying to sell it as is and get something different.

What says you?

Old 05-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
theducman
EXPERT NOVICE

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 30k
Bike: Ducati MTS1200(Street) Suzuki SV650 (Race) Honda XR100(flat track),Yamaha XT225 (Durty)

I would swap the motor.
theducman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
Imbeek
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: Gary
Odometer: A lot
Bike: A few faithful beaters.

No idea about freeze plugs or the like (I guess if it had them and they worked, there wouldn't be antifreeze in the oil?), but if you decide to cut bait and dump it as a parts bike, let me know...I already have a 07 speed triple that I love.

Good luck getting it fixed. Damn fun bikes.

Ps Marks saying wait till fall is absolutely rifuckingdiculous
Imbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
TIMMYDUCK
Head Woodchuck

Call Me: Tim-E-Duck
Odometer: 392 K +
Bike: 2006 GSX1300RK6

Ouch .

So cracked head ?

Raybusa0818 you may be gone also, but you will never be forgotten. Godspeed to you always.................

Matt V ..........Godspeed to you , I know...
TIMMYDUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
Mr. Kurtz
Kurtacus Spartacus

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 100,000
Bike: 04 R6, 88 ZX600C, 12 EX650R, 05 450 EXC, 03 XR100, 03 Ego, 05 TTR15LE, 00 Aprilia SR50

I will give you five American dollars for it, as is.

Seriously though, so the entire contents of you cooling system has come out along with the oil? I wouldn't write it off so fast, I'd put fresh oil and coolant(or even just water for now) in it and see if there are any visible leaks, if it runs, etc.
Mr. Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
BMMCBR600RR
Crash Bandicoot

Call Me: Brendan
Odometer: 2many
Bike: 03 600RR / 09 ER6N / 07 EX650

Regardless of what you do, don't go anywhere near Mark's unless you want to end up with another crap motor. That places service department is a joke.
LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza

2003 Honda CBR600RR
2009 Kawasaki ER6N
2007 Kawasaki EX650
BMMCBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
scubasteve

Call Me: Steve
Odometer: 35000+
Bike: 2013 Ninja 1000

I wouldn't be so quick to write it off, as the freeze out plugs should have done their job. Some may be internal too. Regardless your looking at a pretty significant project though
Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
Sean724
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Sean
Odometer: idk
Bike: 2000 CBR929RR

After checking freeze plug information and if it still doesn't run etc, I'd say:

If you sell as is you're going to lose a lot of money compared to it's value if it were running right? Then you might as well swap in a used motor in it for a couple grand tops, then take your time dissecting your motor which you might be able to fix. Then you can sell one of the two motors.

Last edited by Sean724; 05-02-2017 at 09:13 AM..
Sean724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
Kane
BOATS AND HOE'S

Call Me: Matt
Odometer: 100k+
Bike: 11 GSXR750, 125cc death machine.

I had this issue with my old gsxr 600. the freeze plugs in the head under the camshaft popped out. I bought news ones and solved the problem. You motor most likely is completely fine. Take you valve cover off and maybe remove the cam to look for the freeze plugs. I know it is not a jap motor but I would bet they are in the same spot.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
downshift
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Gabe
Odometer: -5
Bike: 1994 Yamaha FZR600RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
I'd put fresh oil and coolant(or even just water for now) in it and see if there are any visible leaks, if it runs, etc.
That's such a Kurtz thing to say

But in all seriousness if this is your street bike I wouldn't even hit the starter button until you've done a complete teardown/inspection. Only then can you assess if there are fractures in the head or water jacket. You may not need a whole new motor if it's just a cracked head. The heads are much cheaper on eBay than freight shipping a whole motor. If you're really really lucky and it's only a small crack you can probably have a machine shop weld it up and sand it down if it didn't hit a cylinder wall.

If you don't already have the FACTORY service manual I'd download a copy. The cooling system section should have a detail sketch of the coolant paths/jackets so you can see which parts you're going to have to disassemble and inspect.

If you want/need any help with tear down or inspection I'd be willing to lend a hand. Manchester isn't horribly far from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3
downshift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, triumph