You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Everything Bike

Old 05-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #11
mungea
I'm the Nice One

Call Me: Adam
Odometer: 15000+
Bike: 2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
No idea about freeze plugs or the like (I guess if it had them and they worked, there wouldn't be antifreeze in the oil?), but if you decide to cut bait and dump it as a parts bike, let me know...I already have a 07 speed triple that I love.

Good luck getting it fixed. Damn fun bikes.

Ps Marks saying wait till fall is absolutely rifuckingdiculous
Yea, I'm not too familiar with how freeze plugs work, so I was looking for a little guidance. I think you can actually have coolant in the oil, if the freeze plugs do in fact pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
I will give you five American dollars for it, as is.

Seriously though, so the entire contents of you cooling system has come out along with the oil? I wouldn't write it off so fast, I'd put fresh oil and coolant(or even just water for now) in it and see if there are any visible leaks, if it runs, etc.
I wanted to see if there is anything I should do before firing it up. Luckily, I haven't hit the key or anything since last year so I'm hoping I can drain all of the fluids (what's left), look at the plugs and go from there. I'm afraid if i fill it with fluids and fire it up, I may cause more damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
I had this issue with my old gsxr 600. the freeze plugs in the head under the camshaft popped out. I bought news ones and solved the problem. You motor most likely is completely fine. Take you valve cover off and maybe remove the cam to look for the freeze plugs. I know it is not a jap motor but I would bet they are in the same spot.
I did a search and didnt see much info about the freeze plugs in Triumphs. I'm hoping like you said, they are like a Jap bike. One of these upcoming weekends I think I'll have to drop the motor, pull the head and take a look
Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #12
mungea
I'm the Nice One

Quote:
Originally Posted by downshift View Post
That's such a Kurtz thing to say

But in all seriousness if this is your street bike I wouldn't even hit the starter button until you've done a complete teardown/inspection. Only then can you assess if there are fractures in the head or water jacket. You may not need a whole new motor if it's just a cracked head. The heads are much cheaper on eBay than freight shipping a whole motor. If you're really really lucky and it's only a small crack you can probably have a machine shop weld it up and sand it down if it didn't hit a cylinder wall.

If you don't already have the FACTORY service manual I'd download a copy. The cooling system section should have a detail sketch of the coolant paths/jackets so you can see which parts you're going to have to disassemble and inspect.

If you want/need any help with tear down or inspection I'd be willing to lend a hand. Manchester isn't horribly far from me.
Luckily like I said above, I haven't hit the starter or anything. Also, I do have a copy of the manual so I think I'm going to pull the motor and then the head and see what's what.

I'll let you know if I need a hand
Old 05-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
Kane
BOATS AND HOE'S

Call Me: Matt
Odometer: 100k+
Bike: 11 GSXR750, 125cc death machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungea View Post
Yea, I'm not too familiar with how freeze plugs work, so I was looking for a little guidance. I think you can actually have coolant in the oil, if the freeze plugs do in fact pop.

This is exactly why motors have freeze plugs. They are just little metal cups that get pushed out from expansion due to ice forming.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
PeaPod
Karate Kid

Call Me: Rob
Odometer: 24000
Bike: '07 Ninja 650R

What exactly did you put in as antifreeze?
PeaPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #15
Imbeek
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: Gary
Odometer: A lot
Bike: A few faithful beaters.

Check triumphrat forum. There are also speed triple specific forums. I agree with Kane, things are probably easily fixed as long as you dont cause more damage. When i said there shouldnt be mixing of fluids if the freeze plugs did their job, i was referring to external freeze plugs...but it sounds like mixing could occur with the ones Kane is talking about. If that happened, could be a very cheap repair if done without paying someone for labor
Imbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #16
mungea
I'm the Nice One

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaPod View Post
What exactly did you put in as antifreeze?
This is what i used:

What I missed was the little sentence in the yellow

Old 05-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #17
mungea
I'm the Nice One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
Check triumphrat forum. There are also speed triple specific forums. I agree with Kane, things are probably easily fixed as long as you dont cause more damage. When i said there shouldnt be mixing of fluids if the freeze plugs did their job, i was referring to external freeze plugs...but it sounds like mixing could occur with the ones Kane is talking about. If that happened, could be a very cheap repair if done without paying someone for labor
The only plugs I've seen were the external ones too, I didn't even know about the internal ones. The plan is to pull the motor, take the head off and see what the deal is

Edit: Can anyone confirm that the Speed Triple had freeze plugs or not? My Google-fu is not strong today

Last edited by mungea; 05-02-2017 at 04:59 PM..
mungea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #18
scubasteve

Call Me: Steve
Odometer: 35000+
Bike: 2013 Ninja 1000

I just tried looking at some of the fiche's online but no luck and I have a meeting coming up, I'll try again later if I have the chance.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #19
The Magician
Chief

Call Me: Rob
Odometer: 150000+
Bike: 2008 Kawasaki ZX10R

How hard is it to pull the valve cover off? I would top off the coolant and pressure test the system to see where the leak is coming from. Pull the valve cover/spark plugs to help with the inspection
The Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #20
Joey Lawrence
Brown Prince of BoRn

Call Me: Joe
Odometer: 100K+
Bike: A pretty one that makes great noises & a dirty one old enough to drink

whats the advantage to running that pink stuff?

I know on tracks would preffer water, but isn't your speedy strickly street?

Also I'm my terrible opinion, I would 1 try to locate every freeze plug and see if it popped and it it did, get it repaired/replaced, top of with fluids and see what happends, at least that way if it was just the plugs then her you fixed it and didn't blow your wad on a motor.

WHOA

#dirtyprince
Joey Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, triumph