You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Everything Bike

Old 05-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #21
amajew
Hooligan bike,yes please!

Call Me: Andy
Odometer: 45K+
Bike: 08 KTM Super Duke, 2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

sell it and buy my bike. it's faster and has electronic goodies for max hooliganism
amajew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #22
Cerberus
The Vilified

Call Me: Scott
Odometer: 30,000+
Bike: huffy

At very least pull the plugs before spinning it over so you don't bend a rod if there is a leak into a cylinder.
Yes this is why freeze plugs exist, but I've basically never seen one pip and save the motor from catastrophic damsge

Find your own path and encourage others to do the same.

Pay it Forward

Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #23
Imbeek
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: Gary
Odometer: A lot
Bike: A few faithful beaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
At very least pull the plugs before spinning it over so you don't bend a rod if there is a leak into a cylinder.
Yes this is why freeze plugs exist, but I've basically never seen one pip and save the motor from catastrophic damsge
Maybe carsick will chime in. I remember seeing him messing with them at lrrs on an sv he bought super cheap, and the thing was running less than an hour later
Imbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #24
mungea
I'm the Nice One

Call Me: Adam
Odometer: 15000+
Bike: 2007 Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
How hard is it to pull the valve cover off? I would top off the coolant and pressure test the system to see where the leak is coming from. Pull the valve cover/spark plugs to help with the inspection
The valve cover isn't too bad, have to pull the tank, airbox, etc. I called a couple dealers, and none of them thought the Triumph had freeze plugs. I'll start poking at it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Lawrence View Post
whats the advantage to running that pink stuff?

I know on tracks would preffer water, but isn't your speedy strickly street?
I thought it was high end coolant that would help my bike run cooler because at the time, I was commuting through Middletown and had to sit in traffic fairly often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amajew View Post
sell it and buy my bike. it's faster and has electronic goodies for max hooliganism
Don't think it hasn't already crossed my mind

If someone would offer me the right amount for mine, I would probably off load it. And I may or may not have already watched some YouTube vids and read some reviews on yours lol
Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #25
Kane
BOATS AND HOE'S

Call Me: Matt
Odometer: 100k+
Bike: 11 GSXR750, 125cc death machine.

How much water did you see with the oil? Did the water come out first and then the oil? Was it a cup or just the milky white color? Reason why I ask is because depending in where you store it you could have had a bunch of condensation build up in the crank case. If you start a bike, let it idle and do not ride it during the cold months the motor will sweet on the inside and then you get the milky oil look. I have this happen to me Jeeps when I do not use them in the winter. Just a thought.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #26
OneNut
Shrimp

Call Me: Ted
Odometer: 40,000+
Bike: Honda's, Kawasaki's, Yamaha's, Ducati and Piaggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
How much water did you see with the oil? Did the water come out first and then the oil? Was it a cup or just the milky white color? Reason why I ask is because depending in where you store it you could have had a bunch of condensation build up in the crank case. If you start a bike, let it idle and do not ride it during the cold months the motor will sweet on the inside and then you get the milky oil look. I have this happen to me Jeeps when I do not use them in the winter. Just a thought.
+1 on this, my Duc looks like I run milk in it for oil sometimes with big tempature changes and not running it long enough to cook the water out of the oil
OneNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #27
MFChop
Im some sort of Asian...

Odometer:
Bike: 2015 ZX6-R, 2012 GSX 1300R

Id pull the valve cover and inspect #15 and 28 http://triumphparts.englemotors.com/...02774-1-2.html

If ALL of your coolant poured out its most likely cracked. For it to be a plug the whole coolant system would have to sit above this plugs indoor for it to drain it.

Looking at a generic pic online of a block, I would inspect around the thermostat.

End game pull the motor and do a once over inspection, it will be easy enough to find the issue
MFChop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #28
mungea
I'm the Nice One

Call Me: Adam
Odometer: 15000+
Bike: 2007 Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneNut View Post
+1 on this, my Duc looks like I run milk in it for oil sometimes with big tempature changes and not running it long enough to cook the water out of the oil
From my other thread:

Quote:
I called a couple Triumph dealers and also went through the repair manual, and no one seems to believe that the bike has freeze plugs (at least, not the same as a Jap bike). It sounds like where the freeze plugs would be, there is some sort of threaded insert which obviously wouldn't pop like a freeze plug.

When I went to change the oil last Saturday, the bike had not been started since last year. I drained the oil, noticed the issue, and didn't go any further. Yesterday morning I drained and replaced the oil three times to flush it, and used distilled water to flush the coolant system. Each time I started the bike, let it get up to temp (until the fan kicked on), checked the entire thing for leaks, then drained both the water and the oil. I only rode it around the neighborhood (maybe a 1/4 mile), and didn't get out of 3rd gear or high RPMs. Here is a vid of the bike running yesterday and also another of the oil being drained and what color it was. The bike seems to run fine, doesn't smoke or anything which leads me to believe it isn't something catastrophic, probably a seal or something like I said above.

http://vid1005.photobucket.com/album...psrzrwwq1i.mp4

http://vid1005.photobucket.com/album...psjcot3nns.mp4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
Id pull the valve cover and inspect #15 and 28 http://triumphparts.englemotors.com/...02774-1-2.html

If ALL of your coolant poured out its most likely cracked. For it to be a plug the whole coolant system would have to sit above this plugs indoor for it to drain it.

Looking at a generic pic online of a block, I would inspect around the thermostat.

End game pull the motor and do a once over inspection, it will be easy enough to find the issue
When I get some time, I will pull the valve cover and look at 15&28, that's at least a good start
Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #29
Matty
Something Cool

Call Me: Tater Salad
Odometer: .4
Bike: 02 MV F4, 08 GSXR-600

Isn't there some sort of black light dye you can add to your coolant? Then see if it's present in the oil during the oil change?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #30
Kane
BOATS AND HOE'S

Odometer: 100k+
Bike: 11 GSXR750, 125cc death machine.

I read that but you didn't state how much water came out with the oil. A crack or a seal will literally fill the crank case with water.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, triumph