You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > The Garage

Old 05-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Joey Lawrence
Brown Prince of BoRn

Call Me: Joe
Odometer: 100K+
Bike: Honda VFR800 Interceptor

Default Transmission woes

With the upcoming bike trip and this vfr taking me to the cleaners in need some advice.

In 6th gear cruising bike seemed alright. But when you go to accelerate its as if a chain was skipping spokets. But can't be here because driveshaft. Only does this in 6th. Never noticed it before until this week after the clutch bleeding incident.

A quick round of googling says that it could be the gear itself toasted or possibly a shift fork.

Yesterday I tried to change the oil, since it was due anyway and tranny is bathed in the same oil. That went to shit with the oil filter cementing it self to the bike. Several more trios back and forth to autozone and that was resolved and fixed.

In the oil pan there is a little glitter which is bad. But it's not the worst I've ever seen with my eyes.

I'm now changing the drive shaft oil which was due anyway.

Question is if it's indeed the transmission, how bad of a job it's it to get repaired and how many arms and legs might it cost.
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 10_3_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/603.1.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0 Mobile/14E304 Safari/602.1

WHOA
Joey Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
TIMMYDUCK
Head Woodchuck

Call Me: Tim-E-Duck
Odometer: 392 K +
Bike: 2006 GSX1300RK6

Dealer will kill you on it .

It sounds exactly what happens when the Busa transmissions loses second gear.

You need to pull the motor , split the cases and send your transmission to these guys.

http://www.fastbygast.com/Catagories...nsmissions.htm

Figure 400 on machining from them .

Gasket kit , a gallon of coolant , oil. is pretty much the parts list unless the shift dogs are bent.

Raybusa0818 you may be gone also, but you will never be forgotten. Godspeed to you always.................

Matt V ..........Godspeed to you , I know...
TIMMYDUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
mrl1300r
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 50000
Bike: 2009 HAYABUSA,04/05 KTM 200 SX, 2014 KTM 250 SX

I had to do my gen 1 Busa. Not a bad job
2014 KTM 250sx MX
71 orange Heavy Chevy chevelle
CT Rambler's MC Club
mrl1300r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
TIMMYDUCK
Head Woodchuck

Call Me: Tim-E-Duck
Odometer: 392 K +
Bike: 2006 GSX1300RK6

[QUOTE=mrl1300r;895596]I had to do my gen 1 Busa. Not

Joe will need a mechanic on this one , you volunteering ?

Raybusa0818 you may be gone also, but you will never be forgotten. Godspeed to you always.................

Matt V ..........Godspeed to you , I know...
TIMMYDUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
downshift
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Gabe
Odometer: -5
Bike: 1994 Yamaha FZR600RF

Possible but an order of magnitude beyond what you're capable/willing to do by yourself. I've done cassette-style transmissions on 2 bikes and replaced an old ironhead one too and it's not that bad but it's pretty much the most involved repair job on motorcycle in terms of the amount of shit that has to be dissembled.

If I were you I wouldn't send that transmission to anyone. Inspect and replace the gears with worn dogs/slots and replace and worn shift forks. Buy OEM and you're good to go. Unless this is a well documented issue with your bike it's either due to defective parts or poor shifting technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3
downshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
zx6r
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Erik
Odometer: Alot
Bike: 02 SV650 / 04 636

You sure it's not a misfire under high load?

What's the mileage at on that pig?
zx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Joey Lawrence
Brown Prince of BoRn

In an effort to try and eliminate the shift shaft from this equation. I near stripped the shit out of the lower drain bolt. Then managed to sheer the full bolt clean off of its threads. It's now puking oil in my garage all over the puppy pads we had left over from when the dog was a puppy. I'm so fucking over everything with an engine in my garage.

Weedwaker is fucked
Leaf blower don't work
Managed to blow up a subwoofer in the living room when I had the stereo on for entertainment
And every time I look at the motorcycle something else goes horribly wrong.

32k miles erik
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 10_3_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/603.1.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0 Mobile/14E304 Safari/602.1
Old 05-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
lucky6600
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: Ching
Odometer: enough
Bike: Not enough Beemers

I don't believe hiccups under load is gearing nor clutch issue. For me, it's more like ignorion timing issue.

If it's any physical damage, it should happen in all the gear regardless load or speed.

I had an oldie which had un-predicable hiccup here and there while I was cruising on top gear just like you are experiencing. It turned out the 40 years old coils got tired.

Now, you know why I don't own anything in 21st century.
lucky6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #9
Joey Lawrence
Brown Prince of BoRn

Much like adam's thread,

Your me, what do you do right now?

In no order heres the list of things that need to be fixed replaced

Over the last couple of weeks when I've had the time I've been trying to get the following done:

new tires done
replace clutch and brake levers done
bleed/ replace clutch fluid done probably badly
bleed/replace brake system fluid, But ABS and linked braked scared shitless
replace fork fluid also scared shitless
replace front brakes, 4 pads per caliper really scarred because if I fuck it up bike wont stop
re install top case rack can do
New spark plugs scared to do because all the bodywork has to come off and its finicky as fuck
clean and lube the air filter can do, but all the body work has to come off

valves giant expensive clusterfuck

and now the crown jewel of this transmission acting up I honestly don't even know where to start. this one is WAAAAAYYYY over my head.

I've considered just taking the L on this one and wholesaling the bike and looking for something else. but the wife will have a fucking fit. But I 'm also not keen on just throwing money away into something that I've never going to see a return on it for. I don't feel like throwing 2 grand into something that is worth 4-5 on a good day. Thus far I'm up to about

WHOA

Last edited by Joey Lawrence; 05-08-2017 at 10:07 AM..
Old 05-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
soofle616
Keeper of "The List"

Call Me: Ian
Odometer: lots
Bike: Pasta, rice, and a big lump of potato

You're in vehicle sales so you should know better than to think there is ever any kind of return. My suggestion, all kidding aside, is to step away from it and get someone involved that can go through it with you. Most of what's on your list is (relatively) easy stuff. The fact that your bike is absurdly complicated makes those jobs time consuming but not difficult necessarily. Fix the things you KNOW to be wrong with it, then start diagnosing the skipping in 6th issue. It's unlikely, but possible, that by the time you're done with what you know needs to be worked on that the issue will have been dealt with. If you need help, you know how to reach me but you're past the point of frustration which means you are no longer capable of thinking clearly and approaching each problem in a systematic way. This is the moment when costly mistakes are made unless you take a step back.
soofle616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission, woes