You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > Other BoRn Ways > Dirt & Motards
   

View Poll Results: Who would you rather meet on the trail?
Horse Folks 3 15.79%
ATV riders 15 78.95%
4x4's 11 57.89%
Side x Sides 12 63.16%
Hikers 9 47.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
soulfire
Shrimp Boat Captain
 
soulfire's Avatar
 
Call Me: Matt
Location: Coventry
Odometer: fug it.
Bike: In a pile of storage bins..
Posts: 917

Default Sharing Trails

Everyone has there own opinion about who they would rather share trails with but I'm trying to gather some legit info here so keep the BS out. This info will be going directly to the DEEP and it will help design public areas to ride to state property (yes this is happening). My little organization has grown to include 11 board members including the president of NETRA, Tony Gasper and founder of the North East Dual Sport Riders (NDR).

Forgive me since I have not posted here in a very long time and I've never created a poll so here it goes..

Pick which group of trail users you could stand sharing public access trails with. Keep in mind, you won't get everything you could ever want in a trail system but, we're talking expanding existing two wheel, single track trails as much as over 100 miles along with 4x4, ATV and side by sides. This added to the Thomston Dam and Pachaug. COREC is now incorporated and filing for 501C4 nonprofit status and is recognized by the DEEP as it's motorized partner. If you want to see more of what we're doing go to www.facebook.com/groups/ctohvaccess and join us.

Last edited by soulfire; 05-11-2017 at 12:51 PM..
soulfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
ITGbuDeev
Ginga' Ninja

 
ITGbuDeev's Avatar
 
Call Me: Kyle
Location: beacon falls
Odometer: 20,000
Bike: VFR800, zx6rr
Posts: 6,003

Default

FYI, Poll is set up so you can vote for multiples, so pick all that you are ok with. This will get a better "Big Picture" data set.
ITGbuDeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Joey Lawrence
Brown Prince of BoRn
 
Joey Lawrence's Avatar
 
Call Me: Joe
Location: Hamden
Odometer: 100K+
Bike: A pretty one that makes great noises & a dirty one old enough to drink
Posts: 11,281

Default

Screw the horses, they are spooked by everything, the are 1ton of shitty meat. and that wont end well for you trying to plead your case if horse people get involved.
I get enough people rolling their eyes when I stop at my wife's horse shows with a motorcycle.

if the trails were for motorized things then that's fine, but I think its a bad mix to add people hiking on the same trails as orv's.
__________________
2nd owner of theHawhandcordone

WHOA


#dirtyprince
Joey Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
csmutty
Freakin' Luddite
 
csmutty's Avatar
 
Call Me: Christian
Location: Pomfret
Odometer: Seventy
Bike: 2004 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, 1998 EX500, 1996 Vulcan 1500, 2003 YZ125
Posts: 10,001

Default

Where's the none of the above option haha? Single track ftw.
__________________
-Christian LRRS/CCS #856 ECK RacingGMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | OnTrack Media

2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!
csmutty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
ITGbuDeev
Ginga' Ninja

 
ITGbuDeev's Avatar
 
Call Me: Kyle
Location: beacon falls
Odometer: 20,000
Bike: VFR800, zx6rr
Posts: 6,003

Default

there should be a "Mountain bikes" option too. As long as trail direction is clearly marked and followed, the MTB should have plenty of time to be able to clear off the trail.
ITGbuDeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
drinkingmymilk
I swear, I'm an adult.

 
drinkingmymilk's Avatar
 
Call Me: Chris
Location: Middletown, CT
Odometer: 40k
Bike: Twin triples and lots of pedals.
Posts: 1,374

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGbuDeev View Post
there should be a "Mountain bikes" option too. As long as trail direction is clearly marked and followed, the MTB should have plenty of time to be able to clear off the trail.
Fuck that.

Dirt bikes ruin mountain bike trails.

There I said it. And it's true. There is zero denying it. With the reservoir behind my new house you all keep asking if I'm buying a dirt bike. The answer is no. Never. Dirt bikes are how I end up looking at a fence behind/along my house.

I voted hikers as there is no mtb option.
__________________
-Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10
drinkingmymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
CatahoulaBuldog
Yukon Cornelius
 
CatahoulaBuldog's Avatar
 
Call Me: Keith
Location: midway CT
Odometer: a few
Bike: Duc Monsta racer, Duc Frankenstein 848/1098
Posts: 6,203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
Fuck that.

Dirt bikes ruin mountain bike trails.

There I said it. And it's true. There is zero denying it. With the reservoir behind my new house you all keep asking if I'm buying a dirt bike. The answer is no. Never. Dirt bikes are how I end up looking at a fence behind/along my house.

I voted hikers as there is no mtb option.
so as a hiker I say that MTN bikes ruin hiking trails! there I said it beyond that bicycle riders nearly ALWAYS speed THROUGH and past me scaring my children while im walking no slowing down EVER... its totally unsafe to share a trail with a bicyclist because they dont share the trail! its VERY UNSAFE!

As an off road motorcycle rider I also feel its totally unsafe to ride on trails with ATV's and side by side.. they pack the trails into highways making surfaces to hard packed and take up the majority of the trail add to that the speeds and you have a recipe for danger its UNSAFE.

As a horse rider the noise of ANY motor vehicle puts my horse on edge and many cyclists dont even slow down when near and it spooks my horse I was even thrown off once. its UNSAFE

as an ATV UTV enthusiast I cant ever share the trails with anyone else bicyclists come out of nowhere making paths everywhere. Horses take up so much of the trail I cant possibly get by them and they refuse to turn around to give me room Motorcycles travel so fast they almost hit me when we come together. its totally UNSAFE

now who have a left out.. everyone happy with the silo they have been placed in? now that we have acknowledged that EVERY other group that might enjoy the trails is a bunch of assholes we can get back on track to losing access to everything unless walking.
__________________
R.I.P. - Reed - 3-23-2008
Matty V you are missed.

LRRS/CCS #76 TTD Instructor
#5/ RSP Racing MTAG Pirelli / StradaFab / / Dyno Solutions / Tony's Track Days /Woodcraft /Armor Bodies /
MOTUL / Sport Bike Track Gear / Brunetto T-Shirts /



Last edited by CatahoulaBuldog; 05-12-2017 at 08:05 AM..
CatahoulaBuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
soofle616
Keeper of "The List"
 
soofle616's Avatar
 
Call Me: Ian
Location: Durham
Odometer: lots
Bike: Pasta, rice, and a big lump of potato
Posts: 11,168

Default

The only group I wouldn't want to come across on a trail is horse riders. And ONLY because I'm constantly nervous that no matter how slowly or quietly I approach I'm worried the horse will get spooked. I don't really care if they use the trails or not, I just don't want to meet up with them because I don't want to be responsible for a skittish horse flipping out and the rider getting hurt.
soofle616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #9
Imbeek
Lieutenant Dan
 
Imbeek's Avatar
 
Call Me: Gary
Location: Southwick, MA
Odometer: A lot
Bike: A few faithful beaters.
Posts: 2,095

Default

The only group that should be banned from the woods is the green cops, along with anyone else who thinks they should have exclusive access.
Imbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
drinkingmymilk
I swear, I'm an adult.

 
drinkingmymilk's Avatar
 
Call Me: Chris
Location: Middletown, CT
Odometer: 40k
Bike: Twin triples and lots of pedals.
Posts: 1,374

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatahoulaBuldog View Post
so as a hiker I say that MTN bikes ruin hiking trails! there I said it beyond that bicycle riders nearly ALWAYS speed THROUGH and past me scaring my children while im walking no slowing down EVER... its totally unsafe to share a trail with a bicyclist because they dont share the trail! its VERY UNSAFE!

As an off road motorcycle rider I also feel its totally unsafe to ride on trails with ATV's and side by side.. they pack the trails into highways making surfaces to hard packed and take up the majority of the trail add to that the speeds and you have a recipe for danger its UNSAFE.

As a horse rider the noise of ANY motor vehicle puts my horse on edge and many cyclists dont even slow down when near and it spooks my horse I was even thrown off once. its UNSAFE

as an ATV UTV enthusiast I cant ever share the trails with anyone else bicyclists come out of nowhere making paths everywhere. Horses take up so much of the trail I cant possibly get by them and they refuse to turn around to give me room Motorcycles travel so fast they almost hit me when we come together. its totally UNSAFE

now who have a left out.. everyone happy with the silo they have been placed in? now that we have acknowledged that EVERY other group that might enjoy the trails is a bunch of assholes we can get back on track to losing access to everything unless walking.
I don't disagree with any of this.

I love MTB trails and I love hiking trails. They're both very different. I don't take my wife hiking at Rockland or Case. I don't take my bicycles to the Mattabesett Trail. Trails each have their purpose. Multiuse is never ideal.

The question was who would you rather meet on a trail. The answer is, who ever is doing exactly what I'm doing on that trail which is the intended purpose of that trail.

Many MTB trails weave in an S pattern all the time giving you maximum riding distance. Many hiking trails are as straight as possible giving you the fastest route. Many off road motorized trails are big on tough features to challenge you. This is not a bad thing to keep separated. Again, Multiuse sucks. They also have a name for them already. I believe they are called roads.
__________________
-Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10
drinkingmymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sharing, trails

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharing Rides to Trackdays - TTD TonysTrackDays 3 08-04-2015 03:56 PM
Social Sharing Links landlord Everything Bike 10 11-12-2010 06:58 PM
Ride sharing web page TTD TonysTrackDays 1 06-01-2009 03:30 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contact Us - BoRn - Archive - Top