You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > The Garage

Old 09-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
RichieRocket
Shrimp

Call Me: Rich
Odometer: 50,000+
Bike: 2006 GSX-R750

Default Pirelli tire bead comes apart

I had Cyclegear in Manchester install some Pirelli Corsa 3 tires onto my R6 track bike mid-July, well halfway thru the track day out at BeaveRun, the R6 eat a connecting rod bearing, so I was shit outta luck.

So to prepare my street GSX-R750 for track days, I had CG swap the Corsa 3's over to my gixxer wheels. That took some convincing, they kept insisting that they don't touch used tires. These only had four 20 minute track sessions on them! Anyway, the manager agrees to swap the tires only on the condition that they were only to be used on the track...liability reasons I guess.

He calls me the next day, "we have a problem with your rear tire, the bead came apart". When I go down there, there are two big chunks of bead sheared off the bead, one about 4-5" long, the other 3" long, you could see the bead wire and the radial wires wrapped around the bead wire.

So I take the tire home and call Pirelli USA headquarters in GA, they don't want to deal with customers...it has to go thru my dealer.

So I bring it back to CG, they return it thru their distributor back to Pirelli. We'll see what they have to say.

I've seen people up at Loudon swap tires back and forth between rims with no problem. I used to swap Blizzacks on my car rims, although by the 4th season the bead did get screwed up, but it still held air for that entire next winter!

Anyone have issues with tire change over hurting the bead?

Rich
RichieRocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
GixerJockey
Is it still a "mid-life" crisis at age 40?

Call Me: Noel
Odometer: lots
Bike: TWINS! I fucking love twins! Wait...

Poor operation of the tire machine. Whoever mounted them tore the bead with the hook on the tire machine. They got the bead pinched between the wheel and the hook and kept rotating the wheel with the machine. I'd say this one isn't Pirelli's fault. I would be VERY surprised if the manufacturer did anything on this one. And it doesn't sound like CG has any responsibility since their policy is to NOT mount used tires.

FWIW... My Diablos have been on and off wheels 3 times this season. I swap them off to run track days and not distroy the race tires.
LRRS/CCS Amateur #514 / RSP Racing / Woodcraft / MTAG Pirelli / Dyno Solutions / Tony's Track Days / Sport Bike Track Gear / 434racer / Brunetto T-Shirts / Knox / GMD Computrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Noel is my hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGbuDeev View Post
Noel's garage is where Motorcycles go to die. don't sell it to him. Sell it to me.
GixerJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
RichieRocket
Shrimp

That sucks, it's a $180 tire!

The manager at CG who did the swap claimed the bead was already torn when he dismounted it. So the kid that originally installed it back in July at CG may have screwed it up...
Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Mr. Kurtz
Kurtacus Spartacus

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 100,000
Bike: 04 R6, 88 ZX600C, 12 EX650R, 05 450 EXC, 03 XR100, 03 Ego, 05 TTR15LE, 00 Aprilia SR50

http://www.cyclegear.com/satisfaction.cfm

1-800-CYCLEGEAR

That is definitely user error. The bead doesn't just tear itself, it was either damaged already(they did it last time) or it was damaged this time(they did it this time). Used tires are a little more susceptible to the bead tearing, but that's why you use tire lube when removing them as well as installing them.

Call the 800 number, explain to them what happened, tell them you're NOT satisfied and you'd like the tire replaced. Period. If they decline, tell them you'd like to talk to this guy. It is in their corporate nature to take care of it.
Mr. Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Mr. Kurtz
Kurtacus Spartacus

Bike: 04 R6, 88 ZX600C, 12 EX650R, 05 450 EXC, 03 XR100, 03 Ego, 05 TTR15LE, 00 Aprilia SR50

Oh...I guess it goes without saying...next time you need a set of Corsa III's...click HERE. If you need your current tires swapped over again, I'd avoid Cyclegear next time, depending on where you're closer to, I can swap tires for you, or Noel's dealership is right in Wallingford, and I'd bet we're both going to charge you less than Cyclegear...and do it right.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Mullen
Shrimp

Call Me: ty
Odometer: 9000
Bike: ZX10R hid's -1 +4, exhaust. 2008 hayabusa 2000miles

im not throwing cyclegear under the bus here but my uncle had a set of tires put on his rims at CG and he was on his way home and a tire came off the bead (rim) and caused him to low side very badly, he spent a few days in the hospital and CG had to pay all his bills.. I just put some new pirellis on my bike so this thread got my att. my eye. All I am getting at is always have a pro put your tires on
Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Kane
BOATS AND HOE'S

Call Me: Matt
Odometer: 100k+
Bike: 11 GSXR750, 125cc death machine.

Damn I have swapped about 100 sets of tires with my manual changer and many times they were used set and never had a bead issue. I agree with Noel and Mike, the operator messed up bad. I think the aor operated changers can put a whole lot more stress on the bead than my manual unit and the guy didnt pay attention to making sure the bead was pushed into the rim when it was being applied.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
rick
Forrest Gump

Call Me: rick
Odometer: 85,000+
Bike: 2006 gsxr 1000

end of story.. the person installing/ dismounting screwed up and wiped out your tire. its caused by a person not doing it properly..
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
RichieRocket
Shrimp

Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely look you guys up for swapping tires next time.

Doug, the manager sent the tire back to Pirelli thru their distributor (Parts Unlimited, I think), so I'll have to wait until it comes back from them. As you guys said, I bet Pirelli isn't going to do anything about it, then I can call the Cycle Gear corporate line.

Rich
Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
Mr. Kurtz
Kurtacus Spartacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRocket View Post
Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely look you guys up for swapping tires next time.

Doug, the manager sent the tire back to Pirelli thru their distributor (Parts Unlimited, I think), so I'll have to wait until it comes back from them. As you guys said, I bet Pirelli isn't going to do anything about it, then I can call the Cycle Gear corporate line.

Rich
Ummm....I'd almost bet it's still sitting there and hasn't gone back yet. CG has a return cycle with Parts Unlimited, and the lady who processes the returns is a paperwork-Nazi, I'd be very surprised if they sent it back on it's own, rather than waiting for the next cycle(or for you to forget about it). I'd make the call sooner rather than later.