You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 10-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
eric351w
Lord Dark Helmet

Call Me: Duh
Odometer: Mucho
Bike: Nada

Default Hit and run (not me) advice

So my brother was rear ended in New Haven at night with his wife and 3 year old in the car. The driver ended up backing up and taking off. He tried to follow the guy but the guy was blowing red lights to get away. My bro got the plate and luckily the dash cam I got him you can see the car leave the scene and see most of the plate on the video from what he says possibly all of it but needs a bigger screen to look. NHPD basically said if he cant identify the driver, which he cant since it was too dark out, he really has no case and not much can be done. They said it happens all of the time, almost like they are blowing it off. Is this true, is there really no re-course for a hit and run like this? From what I understand the plate ran back clean.......
eric351w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
ilikenapalm
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Matt All Together
Odometer: Some
Bike: I'm A Squid

It might be worth contacting the local news if the police department is giving him the ole fuck off mate.
ilikenapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
krazy again
Slowpoke

Call Me: the wanderer
Odometer: 50000
Bike: '12 Triumph Tiger 800XC, HD FLHRC, '12 R6 (track/race)

Bullshit. It's called owner liability. The car is identified. If the owner claims not to be the driver then he is required by law to name the person driving or that he allowed to use the car. Otherwise the owner is ultimately responsible by law. We write warrants for that all the time.

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )
krazy again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
daviid
Shrimp Boat Captain

Call Me: David
Bike: 02 Kawi ZX6R, 06 Yam TTR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy again View Post
Bullshit. It's called owner liability. The car is identified. If the owner claims not to be the driver then he is required by law to name the person driving or that he allowed to use the car. Otherwise the owner is ultimately responsible by law. We write warrants for that all the time.
Im going through something similar to this right now except the driver was arrested. Owner of the vehicle is still responsible for damages
David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin

Vans RV-10 Build Log
daviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
eric351w
Lord Dark Helmet

Great, thanks guys and sorry David! And thanks Brian, was hoping you would chime in . I had a feeling there must be more that could be done. I think he’s waiting for nhpd to send something to west haven PD, where the car is registered at. Not sure what that is but hoping things start moving.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
Mercurial
Selective Autism

Call Me: Dave
Odometer: 35000
Bike: CBR600RR, RSV1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351w View Post
Great, thanks guys and sorry David! And thanks Brian, was hoping you would chime in . I had a feeling there must be more that could be done. I think hes waiting for nhpd to send something to west haven PD, where the car is registered at. Not sure what that is but hoping things start moving.
Im hoping for a solid justice boner... keep us posted.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 AM   #7
richw
Ranting Geezer

Call Me: Rich
Odometer: 140000
Bike: VStrom 1k DRZ 250

People regardless you need uninsured/under insured vehicle coverage

it 2018 and the necessary coverage is only 20'50 so EVERY serious accident costs more than that., A friend spent many thousands because a 12 year old ran out between cars and he hit her, broke her leg, After a while when they sued big bucks the insurance wrote the 20K check said good bye.

Many low lifes just pay 1 month of insurance so the get a license plate and don't have insurance at all
Old 10-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #8
eric351w
Lord Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Im hoping for a solid justice boner... keep us posted.

Me as well, will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
People regardless you need uninsured/under insured vehicle coverage

it 2018 and the necessary coverage is only 20'50 so EVERY serious accident costs more than that., A friend spent many thousands because a 12 year old ran out between cars and he hit her, broke her leg, After a while when they sued big bucks the insurance wrote the 20K check said good bye.

Many low lifes just pay 1 month of insurance so the get a license plate and don't have insurance at all

He has that uninsured coverage but per the insurance companies agent if the driver is found to not have insurance my brothers insurance company will cover the cost for repairs but his insurance rates will go up which is total bullshit but thats the way its goes I guess. If the driver has insurance then his rates wont go up.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:01 AM   #9
krazy again
Slowpoke

Call Me: the wanderer
Odometer: 50000
Bike: '12 Triumph Tiger 800XC, HD FLHRC, '12 R6 (track/race)

Frommmy wife. She’s an auto claims adjuster or something like that for Progressive...

“having the license plate, especially on dashcam is great, because your insurance company should be able to use that to identify the owner, and from there theIt insurance carrier. HOWEVER, your brother needs to stay on the police to make contact with the owner and find out who was driving. Because if the other insurance company can’t get ahold of their insured to find out who was driving, and no one is identified on the police report as being the driver, it does open up the possibility of coverage on the claim being denied. It *probably* won’t, happen, but it could. The police have greater ability to show up on the owner’s doorstep to ask who was driving than the insurance company does, which is why i say it’s important to keep on them about it.
Also, I completely agree that everyone should have UM/UIM on their policy, and if your world will stop dead if you’re down a car, have collision/rental on your policy too even if you drive a clunker. There are way more uninsured drivers out there than anyone gives credit for. “

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )
krazy again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
The Magician
Chief

Call Me: Rob
Odometer: 150000+
Bike: 2008 Kawasaki ZX10R

I once had my bike hit while parked and the person took off, in Manhattan. Someone captured their plate, waited for me to come out and gave me the info - then stuck around for the police to give a statement. The insurance company was slow (mine) to get the police report, so I picked it up from the precinct myself. They called her insurance company who was hesitant at first, asking questions such as if I knew the person that reported it/took the picture of the plate. After realizing we didn't know each other, they sent someone to review the damage and pay out the claim. Took a while, but it took me going to the precinct to get the report myself and then using my insurance company to get to the other party.

Good luck, never easy.
The Magician is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, hit, run