You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > Other BoRn Ways > BoRn Racers

Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
PeaPod
Karate Kid

Call Me: Rob
Odometer: 24000
Bike: '07 Ninja 650R

Default Daytona Oct 2018 CCS Race of Champions

So I am planning on doing this Daytona thing come October, anyone else in? Booked a flight, got a trailer down for my bike and gear, got a room to nap in between. Looks to be like a standard Loudon weekend..., trackday on Friday, races on Saturday and Sunday...except that it's mf'ing Daytona mf'er!!! Anyone got any pointers for while I am down there.

Now I also just wish I had a bike that could utilize the track that it will be on. My little Ninja 650 is going to be wheezing down the straights and probably swallowed up by those pesky SV's and Ducati's. Wondering what is a good gearing to use down there with all the time you spend on the straights.

Looking forward to a good time down there and maybe bringing back a participation award, or at least some good stories.
PeaPod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
ITGbuDeev
Ginga' Ninja

Call Me: Kyle
Odometer: 20,000
Bike: VFR800, zx6rr

thats awesome dude. good on ya!

I'm no help with the questions, but i'll be following along for sure.
ITGbuDeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
theducman
Dirt Novice

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 30k
Bike: Ducati MTS1200(Street) Suzuki SV650 (Race) Honda XR100(flat track),Kawasaki KDX 220(Durty)

Me too!! Super jealous of you buddy
LRRS# 772 NETRA#3772
Boston Tier 1 Racing
Amsoil/DP Brakes / AXO America/Vortex Racing/ Woodcraft/Armour Bodies/Racer Gloves/Hiflofiltro oil filters
theducman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Olympus
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Sav
Odometer: 75000
Bike: Kawasaki Ninja 650R

There’s always something to do down there during bike week. I don’t party but most of the streets are filled with bars and people partying. Bikes parked left and right, yet traffic isn’t terrible for such large event.
Lots of chain restaurants around the track and near the beach. I have not discovered any hidden gems for food (I am a foodie) in the Daytona area during my visits. Remember it’s a very touristy place. That being said you can eat on the water @ Joes Crab Shack which typically is our first night dinner when a bunch of us from LRRS went.
Endless amount of souvenir shops if you want T-shirt’s shot glasses etc.

As far as the track itself: it’s big, really damn big. Garages are fine. Bathrooms and vendors are all within reasonable distance. Pregrid is a bit different than Loudon but you will see it once and get it.
The schedule is online already with all the races per day and times.
Don’t be scared of the big HP bikes, you can do some serious work on the infield. Again LRRS guys are notorious for hole-shots and leading all through the infield there.
The first time you get on the banking you get a rush of feelings, fuck it and pin and enjoy the smile for the next 10 days that won’t go anywhere. It’s an experience on its own going tapped 6th gear for sometime. Focus on learning your marks. There is a video of John Linn somewhere on YouTube on his hawk there. It’s very good base to get started and most of what he does directly translates to your bike.
Pass on the brakes, you won’t get most of them on the gas. Learn the art of drafting. It will come in very handy. Hydrate, a lot. It’s more tiring than Loudon due to the extended travel time, late nights, excitement of the new and unknown. The track itself is not tiring at all
And you get plenty of time for rest on the straights. I did GTL without even realizing it.
If you got any more questions I’d be more than happy to help. I loved going there, always tried to make it a vacation with the family too.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
TTD
"Track" dealer

Call Me: Tony
Odometer: 100,000
Bike: CBR1000rr, KTM450exc

Two things I learned quickly:

1 - stay behind the windscreen bubble when you are up on the banking.

At first, I was hanging my head off the left side too much (because you are taking a huge left turn). This resulted in lots of head buffeting and unnecessary neck strain and blurriness since my head was bouncing around so much. (I was on a 600cc inline so probably doing 150mph? or so)

2 - Be careful going into Turn 1 on hot laps. I was used to Loudon and entering Turn 1 at 120mph or so? I did my normal pop up from behind the bubble as I rolled off the throttle and almost flew off the back of the bike. I was not prepared for how hard the wind was going to hit me when going 30 to 40 mph faster than Loudon.

Pirelli Track Tires!

TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
PeaPod
Karate Kid

Thanks for the tips Sav and Tony! Chatted with P Kates a little yesterday too. He had an interesting take on how you're going to be looking through the corners.

Still trying to figure out what kind of gearing to run down there and whether I should be using my tall windscreen or short one with the helmet as part of the aero.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Olympus
Forrest Gump

I think 15-34? You may wanna consult Scott Mullin. I’ll try to dig out my notes.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
PeaPod
Karate Kid

I talked to Scott last week and he didn’t remember what he used down there. He did give me some info on loudon which was interesting, I may try.

Oh and thanks for that box of spare parts Sav. I mangled my shift drum a few weeks ago and the pieces from your blown motor were able to be used saving me the parts cost!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
Olympus
Forrest Gump

Very happy to hear they came in handy. I still got wheels, a frame and some other stuff around.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
nt650hawk
Lost Soul

Call Me: Gino
Odometer: 75,000+
Bike: Honda CBR 929rr; 3 Hawk GT's ;LOOKING FOR A 10-11-12 CBR 600RR HELP; 2000 KDX 220R

you may be happier behind the taller screen!

Sav and T summed it up. on the hot T1 entry. there is plenty of room but watch out when the pavement droops off a level.

the shit show happen on main street.

International Horse shoe is a late apex. Watch out for this turn it will sneak up on you. it sucks you in and spits you out!
do NOT lead out of the chicane to the checked flag!!!!!!!!!! that is unless you have a huge lead.

if you are into it Lollipops
2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
LRRS HAWK GT Racer CCS Expert #929
ECK RACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL Spiegler On Track Media All Balls Racing Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Last edited by nt650hawk; 09-28-2018 at 03:31 PM..
nt650hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccs, champions, daytona, oct, race