You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Themlruts
Shrimp Boat Captain

Call Me: Michael
Odometer: 5000+
Bike: 11 GSX1250FA

Default sound bar

Ok i need to get a sound bar for my tv. I have mounted my tv on the wall and the speakers are in the back and it sounds like crap. I really don't want to get a whole 5.1 system because i don't want speakers all over the room. Any you guys or girls use sound bars? What do you recommend?
Thanks
Mike
Themlruts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
ccaarmerciill
Shrimp Boat Captain

Call Me: Tyler
Odometer: 25+
Bike: YZ250, 200 XC-W who rides street anymore?

How big is the room?
ccaarmerciill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
amajew
Hooligan bike,yes please!

Call Me: Andy
Odometer: 45K+
Bike: 08 KTM Super Duke, 2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

I just had this..

https://m.bjs.com/product?url=%2Fson...duct.250486%3F

It sounds pretty good and filled my 14x16 living room pretty well. It has 6 different eq shapings.
I returned it because my old ass system with an infinity sub and Yamaha speakers just sounds better and pounds a lot harder.

Pretty darn good for the money tho and if you mount it under the tv on the wall it won't obstruct the tv remote sensor. (Another reason why I returned it)
amajew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
weld
_

Call Me: J
Odometer: 370
Bike: 06 636, Grom

Vizio S4221W-C4. Also comes in 38'' and a newer 54'' version too.

I have the Vizio 5.1 42'' S4251w-B4 with wireless subwoofer and rear speakers and paid about $200 for it on sale. Can't beat the performance/value. Having the subwoofer be wireless is key for me since I don't have to string wires all over the room. This model is also very highly rated on amazon/cnet/other sites, better to read those detailed reviews than hear from me.

Whichever one you go with I'd recommend getting a model with the separate subwoofer. It was a pretty big difference when I was checking them out.
weld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
ct1200
one sexy tractor

Call Me: Eric aka "Lt Dan"
Odometer: enough
Bike: 09 xbr,04 xlc,'92 RC31,'99 EX500

What are you watching on the new TV?
What type of shows/movies?
And how much are you willing to spend?

If you want some decent bass, good for action type stuff, get at least a 2.1 system.
ct1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
ccaarmerciill
Shrimp Boat Captain

Unless the room is small I'll always recommend piecing together a 5.1 system. It have a Sony STR-DN840 powering some Acoustech towers, a Klipsch center channel, an Onkyo woofer, and cheaper insignia bookshelf's for the rear. Although kind of thrown together, it really sounds great. You can get creative to hide wires, it took a little work but I was able to make it all virtually invisible. I was never a fan of soundbars unless you are in an enclosed, smaller room where the sound kinda bounces off the walls a little. I also question if the sound quality on wireless units would be the same as a wired unit. I know in my car when I have music streaming through Bluetooth, the sound isn't as full as if I plug it in to my head unit, I'm assuming it might be similar for home audio too.

The only sound bars that impressed me were ones that were upwards of $1,500-2,000. Give me that $, and I'd build you a very solid 5.1 that would trump the soundbar by far. Everyone Is going with smaller speakers now too, they are becoming very popular because you can hide them, and make them barely noticeable in a room. I still think you're paying a lot towards it just being a small package, the same $ invested in towers you'll have much more dynamic sound and volume solely based off larger cones/ woofers.

Last edited by ccaarmerciill; 02-10-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Old 02-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
///3oris
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: B
Odometer: 6000
Bike: '15 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaarmerciill View Post
Unless the room is small I'll always recommend piecing together a 5.1 system. It have a Sony STR-DN840 powering some Acoustech towers, a Klipsch center channel, an Onkyo woofer, and cheaper insignia bookshelf's for the rear. Although kind of thrown together, it really sounds great. You can get creative to hide wires, it took a little work but I was able to make it all virtually invisible. I was never a fan of soundbars unless you are in an enclosed, smaller room where the sound kinda bounces off the walls a little. I also question if the sound quality on wireless units would be the same as a wired unit. I know in my car when I have music streaming through Bluetooth, the sound isn't as full as if I plug it in to my head unit, I'm assuming it might be similar for home audio too.

The only sound bars that impressed me were ones that were upwards of $1,500-2,000. Give me that $, and I'd build you a very solid 5.1 that would trump the soundbar by far. Everyone Is going with smaller speakers now too, they are becoming very popular because you can hide them, and make them barely noticeable in a room. I still think you're paying a lot towards it just being a small package, the same $ invested in towers you'll have much more dynamic sound and volume solely based off larger cones/ woofers.
You shouldn't mix/match the L/C/R to maintain proper timbre.

http://www.audioholics.com/home-thea...ching-speakers
///3oris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
ccaarmerciill
Shrimp Boat Captain

^ agreed, for the front stage I think this is important... My Klipsch center channel works very well with the towers, but you do have to be careful. I learned this (but with the rears) when I bought the towers used, he threw in a set of VERY cheap bookshelfs that were actually distracting. It felt like a different channel was on TV behind us. Football games, the stadium noise coming out of them was on a completely different sound stage than the rest. Going with the insignias fixed that, and everything works great together now. I was buying some stuff used, so I've been playing around with the set-up to suite me, and kind of customize it. Plus, the point of having a good receiver is not only sound quality but the ability to make a lot of tweaks.

If you change your mind and go with a 5.1, I highly recommend this: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...kers/SP-PK52FS

For a complete 5.1 speaker set, that'll rival many triple the price.

Last edited by ccaarmerciill; 02-10-2014 at 04:09 PM..
Old 07-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
db79
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Dave
Odometer: unknown
Bike: GSXRs, VFR

Reviving this thread.

Will be replacing my main tv and want to also upgrade the sound. Due to room, tv position, toddler, etc not interested in traditional 2.1 or 5.1 systems. Also, with all my other projects I don't want to bother with running wires. Therefore looking at sound bars with wireless sub. The main use will be supplementing audio for movies with little music use. No current plans for multi room connectivity. When I was traveling the other month I spent some time in an electronics store next to my hotel testing out their "high-end" units. With their demo movie playing I kept coming back to the Sonos playbar and sub for its crisp highs and tight bass compared to the Bose (would never give a cent to that company), Vizo, and Yamaha.

Need to start demo'n units at local stores to pick up my research again. Any recommendations on models I should look for? No specific budget at this time as I'm willing to spend a little extra for quality. But with that said would like to stay sub $1.5k.
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
eric351w
Lord Dark Helmet

Call Me: Duh
Odometer: Mucho
Bike: Nada

Subscribed!

I was looking a few months back and was torn between Sony and Samsung (650 series) so curious to see what people have and/or recommend.
eric351w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar, sound