You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 07-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #11
adouglas
Shrimp Boat Captain

Call Me: Andrew
Odometer: Lots
Bike: 2011 GSX-R750 street, ex-Boris 06 R6 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by weld View Post
Vizio S4221W-C4. Also comes in 38'' and a newer 54'' version too.

I have the Vizio 5.1 42'' S4251w-B4 with wireless subwoofer and rear speakers and paid about $200 for it on sale. Can't beat the performance/value. Having the subwoofer be wireless is key for me since I don't have to string wires all over the room. This model is also very highly rated on amazon/cnet/other sites, better to read those detailed reviews than hear from me.

Whichever one you go with I'd recommend getting a model with the separate subwoofer. It was a pretty big difference when I was checking them out.
I have the same one and like it. My only beef is that I wish it had a headphone jack. Wife doesn't like listening to bike and F1 engines all the time....
Old 07-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
scubasteve

Call Me: Steve
Odometer: 35000+
Bike: 2013 Ninja 1000

if its in your price range, sonos and be done. they are modular and work and sound great. amazon has had a couple sales on them as of late.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #13
///3oris
Lieutenant Dan

Call Me: B
Odometer: 6000
Bike: '15 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by db79 View Post
Reviving this thread.

Will be replacing my main tv and want to also upgrade the sound. Due to room, tv position, toddler, etc not interested in traditional 2.1 or 5.1 systems. Also, with all my other projects I don't want to bother with running wires. Therefore looking at sound bars with wireless sub. The main use will be supplementing audio for movies with little music use. No current plans for multi room connectivity. When I was traveling the other month I spent some time in an electronics store next to my hotel testing out their "high-end" units. With their demo movie playing I kept coming back to the Sonos playbar and sub for its crisp highs and tight bass compared to the Bose (would never give a cent to that company), Vizo, and Yamaha.

Need to start demo'n units at local stores to pick up my research again. Any recommendations on models I should look for? No specific budget at this time as I'm willing to spend a little extra for quality. But with that said would like to stay sub $1.5k.
Don't let the Vizio name dissuade you, they make nice soundbars for the money.

The one Andrew mentioned: https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-S4251w-.../dp/B00CDIK908 is a nice unit. I think my friend has that exact unit, I can listen to it when I'm at his house and give you some feedback compared to a real system.

I don't personally "believe in" soundbars... but with your budget and also wanting wireless.... you'll be paying more for fluff and marketing rather than sound (think Bose).

It's one of those things where if you're serious about home theater, you need to spend more, you'll need to have larger enclosures, larger drivers, you'll need wires and so on. If you aren't that serious, then don't waste any more money than you have to.

Just for reference, the THX Reference Levels are up to 105dB with LFE channel (Sub) up to 115dB! Here's more info if you're interested.

Last edited by ///3oris; 07-24-2016 at 08:47 PM..
///3oris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #14
db79
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Dave
Odometer: unknown
Bike: GSXRs, VFR

Thanks for feedback. I've had high end home theater systems before. The current room's configuration and having a toddler do not lend itself with going that route at this time. A sound bar will be acceptable for this application and if it gets broke I won't have much into it. I will have some more flexible time in August to visit stores to hear different units in person.
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #15
The Magician
Chief

Call Me: Rob
Odometer: 150000+
Bike: 2008 Kawasaki ZX10R

get out from the front of the tv and get on your bikes. your engines make better sound than your speakers ever will.
The Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #16
weld
_

Call Me: J
Odometer: 370
Bike: 06 636, Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I have the same one and like it. My only beef is that I wish it had a headphone jack. Wife doesn't like listening to bike and F1 engines all the time....
Well, it has Bluetooth, but the only way to switch that on is to use the included remote with the LCD display. I wish it had a "mode" button that just flashed lights on the speaker bar to indicate what it's in then I could use my other infrared remotes to change it. I'd love to have a dual mode as well so I could pair my Echo with it.

Overall though it's been solid for the past 2 years. Usually gets positive comments anytime I have people over for movies. Unless it's a large room I don't think anything more serious than a 5.1 sound bar is really necessary.
weld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #17
///3oris
Lieutenant Dan

Quote:
Unless it's a large room I don't think anything more serious than a 5.1 sound bar is really necessary.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #18
Marduk
Resident Hothead

Call Me: _____
Odometer: 30K+
Bike: n/a

You joke about low expectations, but they're a beautiful, beautiful thing. Just about every freakin' thing in our modern society has some stupidly expensive, better version of what most people use. For many of those things, I just don't want to know about them...because I don't want to want more shit that doesn't appreciably contribute to my overall happiness in life.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #19
weld
_

Call Me: J
Odometer: 370
Bike: 06 636, Grom

Boris is clearly someone who has not heard a quality soundbar in a properly setup room. They can rival, if not be better than, a 5.1 receiver setup. Of course, they come with high prices too ($1500+). I wouldn't expect a <$500 soundbar to be mindblowing in comparison to a nice 5.1, but c'mon. There's no way to please audiophiles though, especially if they already spent all that money on their setup and need to justify it.
weld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #20
///3oris
Lieutenant Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great American View Post
You joke about low expectations, but they're a beautiful, beautiful thing. Just about every freakin' thing in our modern society has some stupidly expensive, better version of what most people use. For many of those things, I just don't want to know about them...because I don't want to want more shit that doesn't appreciably contribute to my overall happiness in life.
Hah, I was joking, but also serious... studies prove this out as well.

"The secret to happiness is low expectations"
- Barry Schwartz (psychologist)

Quote:
Boris is clearly someone who has not heard a quality soundbar in a properly setup room. They can rival, if not be better than, a 5.1 receiver setup. Of course, they come with high prices too ($1500+). I wouldn't expect a <$500 soundbar to be mindblowing in comparison to a nice 5.1, but c'mon. There's no way to please audiophiles though, especially if they already spent all that money on their setup and need to justify it.
I take it that you use 'audiophiles' in a derogatory way (i.e. like these people - love that video BTW ). I'm talking about actual engineering.

A quality soundbar doesn't exist in a 'properly setup room,' for the same reason you won't see a 'professionally calibrated' 50" Westinghouse TV in a someone's room. I don't know which 5.1 systems you're comparing to, but I'm sure they're not reference quality.

With one exception (semi-custom), I don't know of any soundbars which can produce reference levels. Soundbars aren't designed for that.

Tags
bar, sound