You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > The Garage

Old 04-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
ITGbuDeev
Ginga' Ninja

Call Me: Kyle
Odometer: 20,000
Bike: VFR800, zx6rr

Default Sticky Slide in carb

My dad bought a BMW R100 from Ching a while ago. It has sat far more than it was ridden. we think most of it has been ironed out, but we are stil getting a MAJOR hanging idle. Like 3-5k rpm. usually starts and warms up fine, then after its warm it starts to stick.

Current operating theory is that the slide is sticking open and not letting the needle lower and seat in the jet. It doesn't appear to have any surface rust or residue that is obvious.

Is there anything i can do to polish it? or any other method i can use to prevent stickage? or should i jus ttry to find a new part (haha, hilarious, it's 46 years old)

Edit: For the record, this ran perfectly when we took delivery. This is strictly current owner issues and has nothing to do with Ching.

Last edited by ITGbuDeev; 04-12-2018 at 01:27 PM..
ITGbuDeev is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
boosten lebaron
Shrimp

Call Me: eric
Odometer: 200,000
Bike: 2010 r1

Are you sure its the slide and not a fueling problem? Have you taken the carb out and moved the slide by hand? Ive used rubbing compound to polish slides before with good results but thats only because they had corrosion which yours don't sound like they do.
Have you lubed the cables and made sure the throttle isn't binding somewhere?
boosten lebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
ITGbuDeev
Ginga' Ninja

second disclosure, my dad has done most of the work on this, but now that my VFR is gone, i'd like to have a ride-able bike available to me so i'm jumping in.

i have had the carb apart, cleaned jets, inspected slide. when its riding its fine, no stutters or pops, just trying to stop, clutch in, keeps RPM up.

I bet he has not tried to change or lube cables. that'll be my next stop.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
ITGbuDeev
Ginga' Ninja

apparently he has had the carb in his hands, no cable attached, lifted the slide/needle, and seen it stick open.

Looks like polishing compound is the next step then
Old 04-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
boosten lebaron
Shrimp

Call Me: eric
Odometer: 200,000
Bike: 2010 r1

yup. Give the cables a lube as well. Sounds like a polish will sort you right out.

Being such an old bike it may be worth getting a tool to measure the jet orifice and make sure they are still the size they should be. You may be running really rich and think other wise.
boosten lebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
soofle616
Keeper of "The List"

Call Me: Ian
Odometer: lots
Bike: Pasta, rice, and a big lump of potato

Before you resort to polishing compound, try a strong solvent on the slide AND the carb body ID. If it was fine when he got it and developed after sitting odds are you have some fuel varnish in there that is causing it to stick. The other thing you can do that works very well is an overnight soak in pine sol. I never believed that would work as well as it does until I tried it myself.
soofle616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
ITGbuDeev
Ginga' Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
Before you resort to polishing compound, try a strong solvent on the slide AND the carb body ID. If it was fine when he got it and developed after sitting odds are you have some fuel varnish in there that is causing it to stick. The other thing you can do that works very well is an overnight soak in pine sol. I never believed that would work as well as it does until I tried it myself.
Will that have any affect on my gaskets/seals? Basically, can i disassemble it as far as i am comfortable then throw the whole thing in a bath?
Old 04-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
soofle616
Keeper of "The List"

Call Me: Ian
Odometer: lots
Bike: Pasta, rice, and a big lump of potato

That part I'm honestly not sure of but the only gaskets that come to mind would be the float bowl, top cover, and fuel valve. All of which are easy to get to and remove and the top cover will have to be removed anyway to get the slide out. Anytime I've had carb issues I always just pull completely apart anyway so it never really occurred to me that a gasket could be damaged.
soofle616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
downshift
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Gabe
Odometer: -5
Bike: 1994 Yamaha FZR600RF

I would not put any rubber parts (aka the slide skirts) in pine sol for any length of time. Tried pine sol once on a XS1100 set of carbs and it fucked over the gaskets and slide skirts big time. Honestly, if you can remove the slides just get a toothbrush and some carb cleaner and scrub the sides of the slide and the inside of the carb body where the slide rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
If the owner decided tomorrow that we'd change business models and start selling a product that would allow you to force bees to sting babies, I'd stay there as long as they kept compensating me the same way.
Current Track Day to Crash Ratio: 10:3
downshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
Kurlon
Shrimp Boat Captain

Call Me: Joshua
Odometer: 25k
Bike: Yamaha FZR400RR SP

Check the airbox for critter nest remains. I fought with a TTR carb that would randomly stick the slide after repeated cleanings. Turns out the airbox had mouse crap/piss in it and that was getting sucked into the carb and gumming it up.
Kurlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carb, slide, sticky