You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 07-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #21
makct04
Too Short to drag knee.

Call Me: Mo
Odometer: Couple
Bike: 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja fruit View Post
If only there was a guy around that did this stuff professionally.
Fuck that guy. He called my Polish friend a cunt, what a dicknozzle!
Team Brown - LRRS #521
makct04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #22
ilikenapalm
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Matt All Together
Odometer: Some
Bike: I'm A Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja fruit View Post
If only there was a guy around that did this stuff professionally.
Knowing nothing about the amount of work it takes to draw up plans and shit, what would it cost to do so?
ilikenapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #23
scubasteve

Call Me: Steve
Odometer: 35000+
Bike: 2013 Ninja 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGbuDeev View Post
A 2 wide 2 deep detached garage/barn with loft.
Gotta say that this is a pretty ideal setup - this is what my house has and its awesome. Has a nice beam allowing for no posts, and while mine has the room above the garage finished as a big office or gym space, it could be converted back to a loft for the garage allowing a lift and all that too.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #24
SkinnyR
Karate Kid

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 40k
Bike: All sold

For me, it is always about return on my money. My wife wanted a new house built. It just wasn't going to happen because it would be a money bleed where we would end up being upside down. The fit and finish she wanted would have put us way over what it would be worth to sell. For some people that is fine, especially if you are going to live there forever, but I just can't do that.

When you buy or build new, especially in a development, the lots suck. You have a postage stamp lot with a mcmansion on it. If you are buying it for just the house, fine, but the location and the land is more important at least to me than anything else. All the good land seems to be scooped up, so if you want to live in a good area that is private on a good piece of land, you are going to be renovating or tearing down an existing structure which is cost prohibitive. Or, you live out in the middle of nowhere. If you want a rural feel that is near amenities, you are not going to find land to build on that is cheap, or at all.

What I am getting at here is that renovating something, especially if you are willing to do the work, may be the better option. You said you looked at stuff, but the problem is, people don't have vision and can't see through the piece of shit fixer upper in front of them, or they don't want to put the time or effort in. All understandable, but don't push it aside as an option.

Your "dream" man style house now will not be what you want 10 years from now and may not be something that will be truly investment worthy to rent out. So tread lightly with that.

I've renovated 4 house that I have lived in or rented out in the last 10 years. The current house I live in/am renovating sat as a foreclosure for a couple of years. It was a weird house, built to look like something from the 1700's. But the lot is beautiful. That's what I bought it for, the land. The house I can change into what I want. The renovation will cost as much as what I paid for the property, but in the end I will be ahead with a house with fit and finish that surpasses new development stuff. We watched it for a long time, all the while talked to new home builders. There is also a development 1/2 mile from this house where cookie cutter $650k houses are being built. Really nice houses on mountain side lots. People surely buy them, but I couldn't afford one of those house if I wanted to, but wouldn't want one of them anyway. Figure out what you want now, but don't push aside what the future may demand.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #25
db79
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Dave
Odometer: unknown
Bike: GSXRs, VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyR View Post
I've renovated 4 house that I have lived in or rented out in the last 10 years. The current house I live in/am renovating sat as a foreclosure for a couple of years. It was a weird house, built to look like something from the 1700's. But the lot is beautiful. That's what I bought it for, the land. The house I can change into what I want. The renovation will cost as much as what I paid for the property, but in the end I will be ahead with a house with fit and finish that surpasses new development stuff. We watched it for a long time, all the while talked to new home builders. There is also a development 1/2 mile from this house where cookie cutter $650k houses are being built. Really nice houses on mountain side lots. People surely buy them, but I couldn't afford one of those house if I wanted to, but wouldn't want one of them anyway. Figure out what you want now, but don't push aside what the future may demand.
Wife and I have been looking at a house not to far from you. Great lot and location essentially backing up to State land. While its technically turn-key it needs a lot of cosmetic attention which I think is turning off a lot of potential buyers, esp at current price point. Waiting for the time on market to continue to increase as it becomes easier to beat him up on price.
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #26
SkinnyR
Karate Kid

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 40k
Bike: All sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by db79 View Post
Wife and I have been looking at a house not to far from you. Great lot and location essentially backing up to State land. While its technically turn-key it needs a lot of cosmetic attention which I think is turning off a lot of potential buyers, esp at current price point. Waiting for the time on market to continue to increase as it becomes easier to beat him up on price.
This is a great town if Burlington is where you are looking at. My house now backs up to a nature reserve.

It was important to us and I wanted to be away from neighbors but at the same time, live on a street where my kids can play with other kids by walking down the street. Cul de sac life like spoonville rd livin but more private. That's what this hole area is.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #27
db79
Forrest Gump

Call Me: Dave
Odometer: unknown
Bike: GSXRs, VFR

Quote:
This is a great town if Burlington is where you are looking at. My house now backs up to a nature reserve.

It was important to us and I wanted to be away from neighbors but at the same time, live on a street where my kids can play with other kids by walking down the street. Cul de sac life like spoonville rd livin but more private. That's what this hole area is.
Its right over the border in New Hartford. Same as you describe with cul de sac and privacy. We'll see what happens with the gap between what I and the owner values the house at.
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #28
FasYankee
Lemming King

Call Me: Darren
Odometer: I walk
Bike: I don't even know what's going on in the garage anymore....

Having built 3 houses I’ll weigh in later......I worked 20 hours yesterday not “planning” on doing any self initiated shit tonight so I’ll visit this thread later.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
everybody wants to be black till the cops show up.
FasYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #29
scubasteve

Call Me: Steve
Odometer: 35000+
Bike: 2013 Ninja 1000

I'd avoid building a 2 bedroom house IMO - ask any realtor about home sales with regards to bedrooms. I'd rather that the room sat empty for 30 years than limit prospective buyers at some point.

plus, do you plan to GC the job or have someone do it?

Last edited by scubasteve; 07-11-2018 at 02:48 PM..
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #30
ilikenapalm
Vice President Palin

Call Me: Matt All Together
Odometer: Some
Bike: I'm A Squid

Quote:
For me, it is always about return on my money.
I definitely appreciate your post, especially since you've been through the pros and cons multiple times over a few different properties. While resale is always something I try to consider, I don't want to be bound by that, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasYankee View Post
Having built 3 houses I’ll weigh in later......I worked 20 hours yesterday not “planning” on doing any self initiated shit tonight so I’ll visit this thread later.....
Definitely looking forward to your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
I'd avoid building a 2 bedroom house IMO - ask any realtor about home sales with regards to bedrooms. I'd rather that the room sat empty for 30 years than limit prospective buyers at some point.

plus, do you plan to GC the job or have someone do it?
Not talking about building a traditional house. Talking about building a huge garage with an apartment over the top. House would come later and be constructed near the original house, but as of now, I don't have plans to attach the two.

Depending on feedback from other people I talk to who have built their own homes, I may or may not GC the whole thing.
ilikenapalm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building, finding, house