You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > BoRn > Bull Pen

Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
DROCK
Shrimp

Call Me: Derek
Odometer: 9500
Bike: 2006 ZX6R

Default What to Wear for Spartan Race 8/6/11

Guys who have done the Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, etc... I need some advice on what to wear.

I am planning on wearing dri-fit shorts with spandex underneath. No shirt.

As far as footwear & socks, I'm pretty stumped. I tried on the Vibram 5fingers and they didnt fit me well. Now I am looking into minimalist trail running shoes from New Balance, Merrell, and Inov8. Are these shoes designed to be worn without socks?

I don't want blistered & chafed feet half way through the race. It seems like people like these minimalist shoes for comfort and ease of cleaning afterwards.
DROCK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
krazy again
Slowpoke

Call Me: the wanderer
Odometer: 50000
Bike: '12 Triumph Tiger 800XC, HD FLHRC, '12 R6 (track/race)

The minimalist footwear are generally made to be worn without socks. I have a pair and love them. However for the race I don't know if that would be the way you want to go. It would depend on if you are used to running with that kind of footwear.

I am sure there has to be someone here that can give advice on what to wear for that kind of event. I am in no shape to do it this year, but am becoming very intrigued to do it next year as a bunch of guys at work are doing a 2nd Tough Mudder event later this year (they are nuts imho!).

Good luck and enjoy!

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )
krazy again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
DROCK
Shrimp

I know the minimalist style shoes take some time to get used to from what I was told so I want to buy a pair asap and see how they feel.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
eric351w
Lord Dark Helmet

Call Me: Duh
Odometer: Mucho
Bike: 07 GSXR 750

Adidas kanadia tr3 nuff said. You will be going no where with those vibrams. For socks I did the thin dri-fit Nike socks
Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
green hornet
God like!

Call Me: martin
Odometer: a lot
Bike: 2001 zx-6r

i wore ankle socks with running shoes that i planned on throwing out after the race anyways...

green hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
ilikenapalm
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Call Me: Matt All together
Odometer: Some
Bike: gixxah

As far as shorts, find something lightweight with a built in running brief and that'll be perfect. I wore a pair of New Balance something or others and they worked out phenomenally for the Tough Mudder.

Shoes is a toss up. First, its gonna take you a little while to get acclimated to the minimalist shoes. Its a lot of stress on your calves if you've never run in anything like them before. Not something I'd recommend to just jump right in to. For what its worth, I run a lot and I bought some VFF's back in March. I've been using them once every two weeks or so because my legs would be that sore afterward. I wore them yesterday for a 4 mile run (then ran another 4 in regular shoes) and today is the first time I actually woke up and felt ok after wearing them. Not to mention, regular running shoes are going to give you a lot more protection from sharp sticks and stumps and things of that nature.

As far as a trail specific shoe, in my opinion, it isn't necessary. I'm still wearing the same running shoes I did the TM in, and they're still fine. They are a regular road running shoe, I wear them for trail running with no issues. Just look where you're running and you'll be fine in whatever you choose.

Vaseline will be your friend. Both on the back of your Achilles tendons and on your manhood.
ilikenapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
DROCK
Shrimp

Vaseline sounds like a neat idea.

http://www.zappos.com/inov-8-mudclaw-272 These have 6mm of cushioning so not 100% minimalist. They look pretty sweet.

Gonna check out those Adidas too.

I'll do some more research tomorrow
Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
green hornet
God like!

Call Me: martin
Odometer: a lot
Bike: 2001 zx-6r

its cool.

but at the end of the race those won't make much of a difference...all you'll have is a dirty pair of shoes...

when i think back to the tough mudder last month i know that my shoes didn't have as much traction as those but i remember everyone around me sliding just as much trying to go down hill in snow or mud...everyone was sliding....

green hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
drinkingmymilk
Almond milk????!?!?!

Call Me: Chris
Odometer: 40k
Bike: Twin triples and lots of pedals.

I used to run distance in highschool. I tried out a bunch of different shoes, nike, adidas, puma, spent shit loads of my parents money. Then some one gave me a pair of these $49 pos shoes. I loved them, they are super simple, super light and never once gave me a blister. Run through anything, toss them in the wash and they looke mint all over. When I decided to do the mudder, a new pair was the first thing I bought. Mickey Finns on the turnpike has them to try them out.

http://www.zappos.com/saucony-origin...nal-navy-white
Old 06-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #10
itgbudeev
Ginga' Ninja

Call Me: Kyle
Odometer: 20,000
Bike: VFR800, zx6rr

I got a pair of Adidas kanadia tr10 trail running shoes on clearance at bobs for tough mudder and I can honestly say I.did not slip and fall a single time the entire race, not even on snow and ice. Using the same shoes for Spartan and maybe warrior dash Saturday if everything works out.
LRRS / CCS AM #609 Sponsored by - Advanced Traction - Woodcraft Technologies - Armour Bodies - DP Brakes

itgbudeev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race, spartan, wear