You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Band Of Riders > Market Place > Seller/Product Reviews

Old 03-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
petro240
Karate Kid

Call Me: Dan
Odometer: 10000
Bike: '08 Street Triple, '72 H2, '01 GSXR 600

Thumbs up Motorcycle Fuel Tank Services

Some of you know I've been fighting the battle between ethanol-mixed fuels and my fiberglass gas tank on my H2. Long story short: there was a liner in the tank that failed, ethanol eats the resins in the fiberglass and goes on to gum up the carbs and not a very enjoyable riding experience.

I tried stripping the old liner myself with a kit from KBS Coatings, and failed miserably. It's a game of flushing the stripper through long enough loosen the gobs and gobs of liner without letting it eat through the fiberglass, which it will do if it's in there long enough.

I gave up on that after having a miserable time with the MEK stripper, getting it everywhere after the seal I was using on the tank popped when flushing it, and nearly destroying the paint on the tank.

Enter http://www.fueltankservices.com/. I found them through google and was sold. They will strip and coat any tank (aluminum, steel, fiberglass, or carbon fiber) without damaging the paint or finish, and have a lifetime guarantee against any fuels. They have some videos on youtube of before and afters, and I was pretty impressed.

I sent my tank down to them at the end of January and got it back today. No test results of how it holds up, but with the lifetime guarantee I'm not too worried about it.

It didn't come really cheap at $375 but the tank was useless before, and with the price of a new one at $600 + paintwork + having to put a liner in it anyway, it was a bargain.

I'd recommend this place to anyone that doesn't want to have to mess around with stripping or lining a tank and not have to worry about it with a lifetime guarantee. I wish I had known about them 2 year ago when I first started fighting mine.
petro240 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
drinkingmymilk
I swear, I'm an adult.

Call Me: Chris
Odometer: 40k
Bike: pedals, a revolving door and a triple.

Seems like a good option for those lucky Ducati people.

Matt 9/19/10
drinkingmymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
petro240
Karate Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
Seems like a good option for those lucky Ducati people.
Yeah.. he mentioned he does A LOT of Ducati tanks. I was surprised I had never heard of them before, apparently they've done "over 151,100 tanks since 1977."
Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
petro240
Karate Kid

I figure now is a good time to update this -

Long story short, the new liner popped and was failing along the top of the neck of the tank, right underneath the fill hole.

George at Fuel Tank told me he would honor his lifetime guarantee, and I sent it back down to him to be repaired. Lucky for me, my tank ended up being one of his biggest 'problem tanks', and gave him all sorts of hell.

From what they could find after several rounds of coating and testing, apparently there were some impurities or a bad mix of resin in that one spot when the tank was originally made that was causing the liner to pop. They found it when they hit that area with a grinder and found all sorts of discoloration underneath the top layer of resin.

With a lot of patience, I got the recoated tank back this week, and I'm told it should be for good this time. They put it through some high temperature tests before sending it back to make sure that everything was taken care of. After talking to George weekly for the last several months, I know the last thing he wants is to see this tank come back on to his table.

Even though the warranty work took a while, I'd still recommend using these guys if anyone has a bad tank (or any fiberglass or c/f tank, for that matter).

I have to say - the initial cost isn't cheap, and with how busy this shop seemed every time I called, it probably won't be real fast turnaround. BUT, if you have a tank with paintwork you don't want to ruin, and don't want to take the chance of stripping and lining it yourself, I'd give George a call. He was always responsive when I called, and the number on the website is his cell phone.

Feel free to mention that Dan with the H2 referred you to him.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
Bigballsofpaint
Shrimp

Call Me: Jay
Odometer: over 9k
Bike: 2011 Ninja 1000, 2011 Ninja 250 SE, 2008 Duc 848

This does seem like a good option for us Ducati people . Nice to see he honored the warranty, I may need to do this to the 848 if I end up keeping it.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
mattr302
9.5 > 10

Call Me: Raby
Odometer: 40k
Bike: FZ6, F4i, DR350

What's the deal with Ducati tanks?
mattr302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
Bigballsofpaint
Shrimp

Call Me: Jay
Odometer: over 9k
Bike: 2011 Ninja 1000, 2011 Ninja 250 SE, 2008 Duc 848

They are made from some type of plastic which causes it to expand with the ethanol fuels. Or they may leak from fittings, but its usually the tank expanding from what I read. They know its an issue, but have no intention of fixing it. When it happened to people within the warranty period Ducati just gave them another tank, but there was no change so they knew it would happen again. Most people either do something like this, or buy a steel tank which is over a grand.

....I didn't know about this until I bought it.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #8
theducman
Dirt Novice

Call Me: Mike
Odometer: 30k
Bike: Ducati MTS1200(Street) Suzuki SV650 (Race) Honda XR100(flat track),Kawasaki KDX 220(Durty)

Keep the gas tank' s fuel cap open just a bit so the fumes can escape if parked for a long time.
LRRS# 772 NETRA#3772
Boston Tier 1 Racing
Amsoil/DP Brakes / AXO America/Vortex Racing/ Woodcraft/Armour Bodies/Racer Gloves/Hiflofiltro oil filters
theducman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
HRCfan1
Shrimp Food

Call Me: Dave
Odometer: 22000
Bike: 2013 Triumph Daytona 675R

Happens to us Aprilia guys too. Unfortunately Aprilia doesn't want to change the plastic tanks to resolve the problem. Of course it's only a problem for the U.S. Caswell coating is highly recommended in the Aprilia world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HRCfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #10
ninja fruit
NegativeIamAmeatPopsicle

Call Me: The Donald
Odometer: All
Bike: Il Massimo, Trek

Also a problem on mv but has not effected my bike for some reason. I'm fine with that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability.
ninja fruit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, motorcycle, services, tank