PDA

View Full Version : How To: Cut Exhaust Baffles (1000RR)

Cerberus
07-13-2007, 12:38 PM
so i did one of the two exhaust mods that people talk about.. not the one where you use a hole saw and long extension and drill out the baffle plate, but the one where you use a dremel tool to cut about an inch off of the outlet pipe inside the outlet ..
i only did one of the two outlets since doing one made a sweet rumbly difference to the exhaust note.. and this way i could plug the open one if it was too loud.

anyway, i love the sound of it now.. nice deep & rumbly @ idle and apparently it sounds great under way too, though I can't hear much when i'm under way

this picture was taken while the bike was still in the back of the truck, having just gotten back from the trackday, so the angle is a bit odd, but you can still see the two pipes.
the left one i didn't touch, the right one is about 1.5 inches shorter, shortcutting one of the three subchambers inside the OEM exhaust can, increasing flow and allowing a good amount more sound out.
http://philosopherpoet.com/stuff/exhmod.jpg

CamaroJockey
07-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Are you going to do the second pipe or leave it alone?

Cerberus
07-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Are you going to do the second pipe or leave it alone?
[/b]

I haven't decided.. Part of the reason that i did only one is that the exhaust flow in to the muffler is a single path flow so by doing only one pipe I haven't made 2cylinders flow differently than the other two. And I like how it sounds now; rumbly around idle and lower RPMs.. but it doesn't scream up high as far as I know.. if i open up the other it will flow even more and probably be louder throughout the RPM range.

i think if i do open the other one i will probably find and OEM unit on ebay first so i can switch it back if i don't like it that loud.

CatahoulaBuldog
07-13-2007, 03:13 PM
you and your flow path mods... :)

Cerberus
07-13-2007, 03:54 PM
you and your flow path mods... :)
[/b]

ultimately, an engine is an air pump.
more waste flow out = more inertial scavenging & more new air in = more oxygen for combustion.

so with proper mapping to compensate for the change flow dynamics, more potential power/torque is very likely.

and besides, I love to tinker, and its free, so why not?

Mr. Kurtz
07-13-2007, 04:29 PM
I've heard it, it sounds pretty good.

johnny mac
07-13-2007, 05:24 PM
:pow: tinker away , tinker away I love it and like you said it's free

CatahoulaBuldog
07-13-2007, 08:34 PM
but is it sexy? lol

Cerberus
07-15-2007, 04:14 PM
sexy? its not less sexy than it was.. and did i mention it is free?

I did the other pipe this afternoon.. same approximate sound at idle but better sounding when opened up.

I did Chris's too (palmbomb). I'm pretty sure he likes it :D

Palm Bomb
07-15-2007, 04:59 PM
sexy? its not less sexy than it was.. and did i mention it is free?

I did the other pipe this afternoon.. same approximate sound at idle but better sounding when opened up.

I did Chris's too (palmbomb). I'm pretty sure he likes it :D [/b]

i don't like it...I LOVE IT!! the thing actually growls like a litre bike now :D

FasYankee
07-15-2007, 05:27 PM
I did mine and while it's a different process, I did buy oem ones off e-bay for @30 shipped. Although I love the new sound (took out the stock baffles and replaced with 28% open perf pipe and MX packing), I'm really worried about the loss of backpressure and the bike running lean. I also, ahem, the cat fell out. So I've got some popping on decel, and it's been running slightly hotter, so I put the stockers back on till I get the PCIII.

JRide
07-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah, cause those Honda's sound like mopeds stock.

:twofinger:

Cerberus
07-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I did mine and while it's a different process, I did buy oem ones off e-bay for @30 shipped. Although I love the new sound (took out the stock baffles and replaced with 28% open perf pipe and MX packing), I'm really worried about the loss of backpressure and the bike running lean. I also, ahem, the cat fell out. So I've got some popping on decel, and it's been running slightly hotter, so I put the stockers back on till I get the PCIII.
[/b]

in our case, the exhaust flow control valve in the exhaust system just before the muffler helps to create the requisite backpressure to save the bottom end torque.. somewhat..

although i'd like to remap it someday to accommodate the altered flow dynamics

Yeah, cause those Honda's sound like mopeds stock.

[/b]

thats ENOUGh out of you! :ninja: :slap:

FasYankee
07-15-2007, 06:16 PM
in our case, the exhaust flow control valve in the exhaust system just before the muffler helps to create the requisite backpressure to save the bottom end torque.. somewhat..

although i'd like to remap it someday to accommodate the altered flow dynamics
[/b]
you know, I thought the EXUP valve in mine would offer the same thing, but without reading the plugs to be sure, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I guess I could retard the valve a little, since it's adjustable, and I did advance it a little previously, so maybe I'll try that. Or I could just wait for the $$ to get the PCIII.

Ryder
07-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Free exhaust mod, hmm :)

CamaroJockey
07-28-2007, 09:14 AM
:thumbup:

I havn't seen Scott's yet, but I rode with Chris the other night and it sounds pretty damn good.