PDA

View Full Version : How to: Rebuild SV Carburators

DucatiMichael
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
The SV carbs are very simple and easy to rebuild. Really the hardest part you will have is getting them off the bike. This is written from memory so I hope it is all there.

You will need:
Carb Cleaner
Rags/shop towels (I use the heavy duty blue ones)
Latex gloves
#2 Phillips screwdriver
Flat screwdriver
Needle Nose Pliers
Safety Glasses (no, really).
a 6 point wrench, cant remember if its 8mm or 10mm

When you take the carbs off the bike there will still be fuel in the float bowls. Put a towel down on your work surface to absorb the runoff.

http://cdn.cheapcycleparts.com/images/SU/Sport_Street_650-_(GS,GSF,GSX,SFV,SV,TLS)_SV650,-S-1999-2002_10.png

1) Remove the float bowl cover screws - #31 in the picture. Be sure to use the correct size phillips bit and apply firm pressure. These screws are very soft and can easily strip the heads out. They will "crack" and then turn freely. My advice is to replace these screws with some stainless allen heads that you can get at any home improvement store.
If you dont listen to me and strip the head anyway, you need to use needle nose vice grips to get them out at this point.

2) Remove the float pin #27 using the needle nose pliers and then remove the float #29. The float needle and the little retainer should all come out together. Be careful not to drop these as once free of the float needle housing it can easily slide off.

3) Remove the float needle housing screw #30. Use the needle nose pliers to pull out the float needle housing #28. There is only a small lip to get a grip on with the pliers so be careful as it is brass and easily marred. DO NOT put the pliers on the inside of the housing where the float needle goes. It is held in with an o-ring and can be a little stubborn to get out. Work at it, it will come out. This screen at the bottom #26 and behind it is where you will find a lot of gelled fuel if that is your issue.

4) Safety glasses on and use carb cleaner to get all that gunk out of there. In case you didnt know carbs are designed from the factory in such a way that using carb cleaner on them will hit you right in the eye, every time. Trust me on this. Be sure to clean the screen #26 which should still be attached to the bottom of the float needle housing.

5) Using your flat screwdriver remove and clean the main jet #25

6) while you have your flat scredriver in hand remove and clean the pilot jet #23

7) Using the wrench remove and clean the main jet tube #24. Remember to be wearing those safety glasses when you decide that blasting carb cleaner in the hole is a good thing.

8) Spray down the float bowl with carb cleaner to remove any varnish, dont forget to get the inside of the float bowl cover as well.

9) reverse the process and reinstall everything. Remember that brass is a soft metal, do not over tighten.

10) flip the carbs over and do the other side.

Thats it. If you are feeling really adventurous you can check the needle and diaphram but honestly there is rarely anything that needs doing with these.

Oh and the gas tank valve works off of vacuum so once you put it back together and try to start it, it will take about 30 seconds of cranking the motor to get fuel into the carbs. If you have a mighty-vac or brake bleeder you can attach it to the fuel valve prior to starting and let some fuel run beforehand.

The Snowman
04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Now do one on FCRs.

;)

CtRacer51
04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Another example of how you are insane(ly) meticulous and skilled. Cue Minus!

DucatiMichael
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Another example of how you are insane(ly) meticulous and skilled. Cue Minus!

I had written this some time ago but it was buried in another post that didnt come up without extensive searching. I know Minus was looking for this info so I figured I should just make a how-to.

Chuck, I will have a FCR one up the next time I get home as I have to change my main jets anyway.

5TOEZ
04-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Hello LINUS?

The Snowman
04-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Chuck, I will have a FCR one up the next time I get home as I have to change my main jets anyway.After taking mine apart when I first got them to look at what the jet sizing was and where the needle clip was, I found that the FCRs are actually easier to work on.

ninja fruit
04-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Very nice gesture for Linus and he dos t even pop in to say thanks :(

jbmass
04-04-2013, 05:55 PM
:iws:

zx6r
04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
He's stuck In Avon with his other bike. He'll see it sooner or later.

Linus
04-06-2013, 08:48 PM
He's stuck In Avon with his other bike. He'll see it sooner or later.

Spot on.

It's been a busy few days.

Michael you are awesome.

Linus
04-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Here is where the carbs are at right now:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/ufc584/IMG_20130406_204533_zps6c51fcab.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/ufc584/IMG_20130406_212433_zps57
8476dd.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/ufc584/IMG_20130406_212420_zps4941dfa2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/ufc584/IMG_20130406_212408_zpsd3da2e77.jpg

The Pine Sol stripped the finish off of the brackets that hold the carburetors together.
Do I need to swap them over for the painted brackets from my other carbs or is corrosion not an issue?

DucatiMichael
04-06-2013, 10:35 PM
they will surface oxidize like any other aluminum but it isnt structural. if you are particular about how your carb brackets look then by all means swap them but it wont affect performance in any way.

You have already put more effort in than I normally do :-p Exterior gets shot with carb cleaner once and ragged off...the inside is what matters.

Linus
04-06-2013, 11:15 PM
they will surface oxidize like any other aluminum but it isnt structural. if you are particular about how your carb brackets look then by all means swap them but it wont affect performance in any way.

You have already put more effort in than I normally do :-p Exterior gets shot with carb cleaner once and ragged off...the inside is what matters.

The carb brackets are steel as far as I can tell. I'll change them out. The carbs are spotless right now and I'm going to spray everything with carb cleaner and wipe/brush it out prior to assembly.

RichDesmond
06-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Quick tip for carbs, and Japanese bikes in general, get a set of JIS screwdrivers. There are no Phillips screws on Japanese bike, they are all JIS. The slots are different, and a Phillips screwdriver makes it muuuuch easier to strip them. Try a set of JIS ones and you'll be amazed at the difference.