PDA

View Full Version : IPone 5 battery replacement .

TIMMYDUCK
01-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Has anyone here ever done it ?

I bought the Scanditech replacement kit with tools .

So basically I need to replace this battery without screwing up the phone doing it.

soofle616
01-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Technically, yes. I've replaced a number of components in my old iphone over the years, at least one of which required the battery to be unplugged and removed from the case. The biggest headache is the insanely tiny screws. They are all specific to the location they were removed from and the difference between them is as small as .1-.2mm in length or diameter. Also, some of them are the same size as a nearby screw but non-magnetic. Mixing those up with the magnetic ones can screw up your compass.
Overall it's not terribly difficult but you will want a large CLEAN AND VERY WELL LIT workspace to do it so you can keep track of all the screws and where they go.

petro240
01-11-2017, 08:10 AM
I've done it on a 5S with the same kit you ordered.

Aside from the small screws, make sure you try and peel out the adhesive that is underneath the old battery before you try and pull it out. There might be some small portions of the adhesive strips visible poking around the sides of the battery. I overlooked this step and was using one of those tools to pry/scrape underneath the battery. Eventually I realized something smelled funny and had ripped apart the entire underside of the battery case. I had googled what happens when these batteries get punctured and more or less threw the entire thing outside in fear of burning my house down. There weren't any fireworks though.

Otherwise the only moderately difficult part IMO is lining up and plugging in the three (?) connectors for the battery, screen, and camera when reassembling. They all lay down in a certain order and sometimes they take more force than you would expect to snap back together.