Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Overnight trip to "Mt. Washington" New Hampshire

Im making this post to gauge intrest in an overnight ride to the Autoroad & the surrounding roads in the Mt. Wash. Valley & White Mtns. area of Northern N.H..
    I ride this area frequently & know alot of the good roads in the area,
    it's 270mi. North of Hartford, w/ approx: 150-175mi. of Slab to get there , (4.5hrs. total ride time)
    but the scenery alone is worth the ride (nevermind the roads).
    Some people don't enjoy riding thier sportbikes up slow,steep bumpy ass, partially paved roads just to look at the view at the top,(6,288ft.) but SOME DO!........soo if ya don't wanna pay the $12 to ride the 8mi. long Autoroad, thats fine, i understand, as the last 2 mi. of the road are packed dirt, w/ no guardrails or curbs & 3,000ft.dropoffs w/temps. somtimes in the teens.
    The place i stay @ is called the Jefferson Motor lodge, & they have seperate lil cabins, 2 outdoor hottubs, pool, etc: , prices are about $85 pp a night...& the View from these cabins is Surreal on a sunny day.
    the ride will also include; a couple hrs. of playtime on the Kangamangus Highway, a zipline ride down Mt. Wildcat (If you have the Balls)., a run through Fraconia Notch,Dixville Notch, and if we have time we'll take a ride up to the Nansen Ski jump.(highest wooden decked skijump in the world).
    Obviously, your bike should be in good running condition,as bike shops are far & few between up there.
    sorry bout the newbs not being alowed to go, as new riders need to build some endurance PRIOR to takin on a trip this long, &crashing that far from home can be a logistical nightmare.
    This will NOT be a balls-out ,go like a fuckin madman ride, as like i said previously, crashing that far from home is a REAL problem, even for veteran riders.
    Now im not sayin we're only gonna go the speed limit, .........prob. like 10-25mph. over at times(ATTN: T-Duck). just thought i'd tell you guys that.
    Im thinkin somewhere near the end of July..................discuss.& post up ONLY if your SERIOUSLY interested in this.
    5TOEZ >Pic. of the Autoroad [attachmentid=1043]
    amajew
    amajew
    rivgar
    Pestilence
    Last edited by 5TOEZ; 11-22-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    Iv'e Out lived my expiration date...........

View from the cabins>[attachmentid=1044]
    Last edited by 5TOEZ; 11-22-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    Iv'e Out lived my expiration date...........

I am interested in this. Please keep the thread updated with possible dates.
    "Did you ever hear the one about me giving a shit?..... If you ever did I don't remember it"

LRRS/CCS AM #559 / TTD Instructor #13 / RSP Racing / Woodcraft / MTAG Pirelli / Dyno Solutions / Tony's Track Days / Sport Bike Track Gear / 434racer / Brunetto T-Shirts / Knox / GMD Computrack
    R.I.P. More than there should be....

A meal without beer is called breakfast

Nice! I don't think I can make it at the end of the month, but I'll see what I can rearrange. I've got relatives up that way and have done a bunch of riding up there as well. Never been up the autoroad just yet though

Last weekend in July is the Western Maine Euro and British Bike show/ride at the ski area in Bethal, ME. Not too far from Mt.Washington.

Also, if your head towards Conway on 16 from the Mountain there are a few "turn offs" on the right. I *think* it's the second one from the mountain, but the stream/river forms a natural pool right there (you can see it more or less from the turn off). Water is stupidly cold even in the dead of summer. Nice rocks to jump from and the water is deeper then you can touch. Great spot!

Also, just to be a geek. Another thing to be very aware of up there for those who've not been:

I am sooooo IN!!!!!!!!

i would prob be down for this. i need a rematch.. last time i went up there i nearly got blown off the side of the mountain in the storm i chose to ride down. plus i got squat for pictures because i planned on taking them on the way down.. it was so nice on the way up... and on the way down it was nothing but storms... ALL THE WAY HOME. sucked ass. I want to do it again lol.

I may be in for this Bruce if it doesn't conflict with my bike trip to fighterfest in Carlisle Pa.

I may be in for this Bruce if it doesn't conflict with my bike trip to fighterfest in Carlisle Pa.
    [/b]
    im planning on going to that too... so im hoping the same thing.

Yeah I have gone up the auto road once and don't think I will do it again..lol it was 75 and sunny at the bottom and 30 and snowing at the top...lol and I only had a t-shirt on under my leathers jacket..I was freezing and I almost gone blown off multiple times...lol But the roads around the mountain are fantastic!
    Something has to change.
    Un-deniable dilemma.
    Boredom's not a burden
    Anyone should bear.

RIP Reed St. Pierre (Noxen) 3/23/08 - You will be missed