Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What/Where/Why Gear!

Thumbs down

Ok... This post is designed to help newer riders deside on what gear to get, where to get it and why they should get it. This post will also help those seasoned riders to keep things in check. I dont want to preach, i dont want to scare anyone... i want this post to be a helpfull guide for (What Gear, Where to get Gear & Why use Gear).

Why do i think i know what im talking about, well i really dont know it all but i can say this, i have come a LONG way since my first years of riding (see image bellow). Also, i want EVERYONE that can to post up any recomindations and so on.
    Me my first year riding, im in the center.

Now:

So with that aside yes i was a squid, yes i learned the hard way (watched a friend crash in shorts and a tshirt) but i think a post like this, or people like you would have helped me make up my mind about the importance of gear, what gear and where to get it.

For Starters
    I really dont care if you wear it or dont, but if you want some advice this is the post for you.

Priority Of Gear
    1. Full Face Helmet
    2. Jacket (mesh or leather)
    3. Gloves (No golf gloves like i wore, they only look cool)
    4. Boots of some sort
    5. Leather Pants (i assume you have jeans on from 1-4)
    6-7. Back Protection
    6-7. Knee Pads (mainly for under jeans)

Low on funds? What gear to get?
    Well, if you just got your first bike or what have you and you dont know what gear to get or how much its going to run you here are a few suggestions.

Figure out what gear you want (say helmet and jacket) do a search for the item via the internet and find out what looks best, works best and costs the right amount. Check out the dealership to try stuff on see if you like it. To find the best price:
    -Froogle it
    -eBay it
    -NewEnough.com
    -kneedraggers.com
    -motorcycle-superstore.com
    -cyclegear.com
    -brocktoncycle.com
    -Online gear sites (100s of them)
    -or buy directly from dealer (will cost the most)

Low On Funds: Gear Recommendations
    Helmet, Get a full face helmet!!! You dont need to spend $600 on an Aria (although they are the lightest, fit the best and are overall high quality. Look for brands like KBC, Icon & HJC. Make sure the helmet is DOT and Snell approved (most of these brands are).

You can expect to pay anywhere from $80+ on a full face helment, eBay has distributers that sell them for cheap since they are last years models. If you can try and spend ~$150.
    Something like HJC CL14 about $130

or KBC FORCE AIRBORNE about $130

Jacket
    There are many different options, But if you can go with LEATHER, if not go with a textile and than mesh. There are many brands out there, Icon, Joe Rocket, Alpinestar, Firstgear, Teknic, Vanson and so on... You want some sort of armor in the jacket.

Once again if you are on a budget, you will be looking at brands like Icon, First Gear, Joe Rocket... but you can find anything for a good price by all brands.

Leathers Examples
    Vanson (one of the higher end makers)

Icon

Textile Examples
    Icon

First Gear

Mesh Examples
    First Gear

Joe Rocket

IM DONE, FEEL FREE TO ADD ON AND HELP OUT

Boots
    Im new to boots myself but i will do my best to give you some ideas. DO NOT RIDE IN SNEAKERS, the provide no support or protection. If you dont have the money for real riding boots use the following:

Something like this ($30-$50) and ALWAYS LACE THEM UP TIGHT:

or

If you have $100+ to spend here are some options (Sidi, Gaerne, Joe Rocket, Oxtar, Astarts and so on....

Gaerne Shockwave Boots $120

Strada Evo Air Boots $200

Gloves
    This is really up to you as long as they are Motorcycle Gloves not baseball, not golf or michanics! You can get the short ones or the full wrist gloves. Leather is the BEST way to go with the most amount of protection.

You can spend anywhere from $50-$300 on gloves made by: Alpinestars, Icon, Joe Rocket, Powertrip, Spidi, Teknic, Tour Master and so on...

Leather Glove Examples
    Astars

Joe Rocket

Mesh Glove Examples
    Joe Rocket

Icon

You can see the difference between a full wrist and a short wrist glove, there are many many options so try them on, find out how much you want to spend and go for the style thatyou like the most.
    I don't really ride, but when I do... I'm faster than you!

Pants/Jeans
    I would assume you are already wearing jeans at least if you have a jacket and gloves (you'd look kinda funny with shorts on but all other gear). But jeans provide a very minimal amount of protection but are better than nothing.

If you want some pants that offer real protection and still look like jeans here is an option:
    Draggin Jeans makes some motorcycle jeans with knee and butt linner.

If you want leather pants, try and find a pair made by the same people as your jacket, the pants should have an option to zip up to your jacket to make it into a one peice suit:
    A-Stars

Joe Rocket

Textile Examples
    A-Stars

First Gear

Knee Pads
    Icon Field Leg Armor $70

GRAPHIC IMAGES OF ROAD RASH BELLOW

Now Why the gear:
    This is not designed to scare you but to make you think and understand. I know that a few of the images of the girls made me re-think the gear my girlfriend had and made me go out and get all new stuff for her. So i figure if images like this can still have an implact on me maybe they can on someone else also.

A Few Good Videos To show the danger:

Motorcycle Crash Test Video

Motorcycle T-Bones a Car

On-Board Highway Accident

Biker looses tracktion and hits a wall

Why a Helmet

Why a Jacket

Why Gloves

Why Pants

Why Boots

I don't really ride, but when I do... I'm faster than you!

Heres me from 93 when I crashed my fzr 600 with only a helmet at about 45mph or so. I had shorts and a tee-shirt on.

RIP Reed (Noxen) - 3/23/08

As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself - so like a brother, really - I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate.

Nô§fErÅ†Ü Guest

Please tell me that is your hand holding that sheet up from the other side of you and not your.....

Please tell me that is your hand holding that sheet up from the other side of you and not your.....
    [/b]

[/b]
    Both my hands are in the air. I have Rock Johnson holding my towel up.
    RIP Reed (Noxen) - 3/23/08

As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself - so like a brother, really - I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate.

i have never failed, i succeed in finding what doesn't work.

RIP REED

anyone have links to that hot chick that crashed doin like 100 mph?
    ~ Julie ~
    MySpace
    Facebook