Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a Rider Crash on a Ride

Thumbs down

Well, we hope no one does but shit does happen. So, here are a few basic things to consider.

1. If a rider has been missing for a few minutes at the next stop, something is prob wrong so turn around and look for him, dont fly, you might come up on him when you least expect it.

2. First thing, fuck the bike... go straight to the rider.

3. Make sure they STAY DOWN and not move. Talk to them, see what the problems are, what they are complaining about.

4. CALL 911, if there is no service, get someone to go and find some, tell a cager to do the same thing.

5. If there are 10 of you, we dont need 10 heads over the body, block traffic so its safe, move the bike out of the road (we generaly "condence") the accident to a smaller area. It helps with picking up the parts and so on, and should the cops show up, its harder to figure out where the rider lost it and where the bike landed... thus slower speeds are marked down.

6. Try and help the rider and keep him calm, talk to him and until someone who knows what they are doing like an EMT or so on shows up.

7. Dont leave the downed rider unless he is being watched.

8. Find out where they are taking him, meet up at the hospital as soon as the bike is cleaned up, or half go right away with the Bus the other half stay with the bike till its cleaned up.

9. Contact family or someone on the board that is good friends with the rider, they will know what to do next and who else to call.

10. Find out where the bike is being taken, get the contact info of the towing comp and so on.

11. If you saw the accident, lets say the rider went in to hot and lowsided... when the cops ask you what happened. You dont know how fast you were going, you dont think you were speeding, you didnt really see what happened, maybe an animal ran accross the road, maybe it was the bikes problem and so on... if its a fellow rider, you dont wanna say he was doing 110mph while on one wheel and it looked really cool till he looped it! in other words, if you can, try and cover his ass a little... if you didnt see anything, go way while the cops are asking questions.

12. Rule of thumb, if there are a few of you and you think the rider will make it... take pictures!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES!!! unless its a very bad accident the rider will always want to see them down the road, so dont be shy, if others are taking care of the rider, take out your cam and go at it.

Example, this is robs crash, watch how everyone does something, we dont just stand around rob. Traffic is blocked, 911 call is placed right away, bike is cleaned up, rob is calmed and so on... remember, this accident was as bad as they get visualy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXwgSf7DTrk
    I don't really ride, but when I do... I'm faster than you!

sounds pretty good to me.

though i didn't see where the pointing and laughing comes in :P

though i didn't see where the pointing and laughing comes in :P
    [/b]
    If the rider is ok and laughing, we get to laugh with/at him as well

not for nothing, and I had noticed this before when the vid was originally posted, but there was a @35second moment when Rob was laying by himself while you guys moved the bike. I wasn't there, and I don't know what the circumstances were, but I was left alone with a broken collar bone that had punctured my pleura, making it difficult to breathe. When I looked at a video of the crash later on, I was only alone for around 45sec. or so, but I do remember it feeling like a lifetime.

Like I said, I'm not faulting any of you guys, as I wasn't there, but NEVER, EVER leave a downed rider, even for a moment. There are all types of things that could happen within a very breif timeframe(shock/seziures).

Oh, and one more thing to add is to STAY CALM yourselves, nobody with trauma needs someone freaking out and going off on how bad it is. If you can't handle it, remove yourself from the area, or be a man and suck it up.

BTW, another good one Dave. You should def. sticky these in the Rides and Events section.

Quote Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
    everybody wants to be black till the cops show up.

z1 nut was watching me just out of sight of the camera.

This is spot on to what Sluttydave and I did last week. Dave went to the hospital right afterward and then called to update the group.

[/b]

Oh, and one more thing to add is to STAY CALM yourselves, nobody with trauma needs someone freaking out and going off on how bad it is. If you can't handle it, remove yourself from the area, or be a man and suck it up.

[/b]
    they always brought this up in our first aid training classes in the military. you standing over some injured person yelling "holy fuck, holy fuck, i can see bone" is never going to help and could cause a person thats not in shock already to go into shock. when ever the downed person asks how bad is it you should always respond with something like "it's not too bad, you'll be fine, paramedics are on the way." even if you are still trying to find their foot.

[/b]
    point taken, again, no fault-no foul, I wasn't there, I just wanted to make it clear to never, ever leave a downed rider, I speak from experience, and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
    everybody wants to be black till the cops show up.

I just wanted to make it clear to never, ever leave a downed rider, I speak from experience, and it sucks.
    [/b]

Non of us are pro-EMTs and most of the time its a friend that goes down. So yeah, we will make mistakes and so on but to have a general idea of what to do is always great!