Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a Rider Crash on a Ride

i think probably the best situation would be that a "more experianced" rider would sorta tell the newer people "hey you do this" you do that", that way it is more efficient and sorta shows (trains) the others what exactly to do

Non of us are pro-EMTs and most of the time its a friend that goes down. So yeah, we will make mistakes and so on but to have a general idea of what to do is always great!
    [/b]
    I must say, you did say the one best thing that can be done: Keep them still.
    Though it never hurts to apply traction to ensure the head and neck stay in line until the 'medic gets there to board and collar the rider. And definitely keep talking to the patient. I don't care what the fuck you talk about, the weather, the ride (before then) your mom, whatever. Just keep them talking. It's ALWAYS a good sign when they're vocal.

Another thing to keep in mind: you can hide information from the police a little bit, but tell the EMT/medics/firefighters as much information as you possibly can. The more information they have, the faster, and easier the treatment will start. They won't tell the cop's diddly about what was really going on with speed and whatnot. They're only concerned about the patient.

That's my $.02.
    Yes, I will offend you. No, I don't care.

Also a good idea to try and stop any bleeding and check to see if anything is obstructing the victims airway....you CANNOT remove his/her helmet but its ok to loosen the chin strap IF YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT MOVING HIS NECK/HEAD....never move the neck/head of any accident victim.

Hopefully nothing has impaled the victim but if so, the object must NOT be removed as it is slowing or stopping the bleeding...removing it is the last thing we want to do.

BTW, Very good post!

12. Rule of thumb, if there are a few of you and you think the rider will make it... take pictures!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES!!! unless its a very bad accident the rider will always want to see them down the road, so dont be shy, if others are taking care of the rider, take out your cam and go at it.
    Example, this is robs crash, watch how everyone does something, we dont just stand around rob. Traffic is blocked, 911 call is placed right away, bike is cleaned up, rob is calmed and so on... remember, this accident was as bad as they get visualy.

[/b]
    Speaking of this, I understand there were quite a few pictures snapped of my broken ass. I'd like to see said pictures.
    Free dildos for everyone!! Now go fuck yourself.

2004 ZX10R Streetfighter : Totalled = 2 broken legs, 1 broken ankle, 1 broken pelvis and the knowledge that I am not, in fact, tougher than metal guard rails.

Also a good idea to try and stop any bleeding and check to see if anything is obstructing the victims airway....you CANNOT remove his/her helmet but its ok to loosen the chin strap IF YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT MOVING HIS NECK/HEAD....never move the neck/head of any accident victim.

Hopefully nothing has impaled the victim but if so, the object must NOT be removed as it is slowing or stopping the bleeding...removing it is the last thing we want to do.

BTW, Very good post!
    [/b]
    Excellent point about controlling the bleeding. It pays to have a cloth or something of a similar nature handy for just this occurrence. If you're worried about it not being sterile, it wont really matter all that much if the patient happens to be bleeding out. Hell, if you have to rip your t-shirt into shreds, do it.
    Yes, I will offend you. No, I don't care.

they always brought this up in our first aid training classes in the military. you standing over some injured person yelling "holy fuck, holy fuck, i can see bone" is never going to help and could cause a person thats not in shock already to go into shock. when ever the downed person asks how bad is it you should always respond with something like "it's not too bad, you'll be fine, paramedics are on the way." even if you are still trying to find their foot.
    [/b]
    i second that notion that and as was said before dont move the person nor let them move talk to em and keep em busy so they dont try to look at there wound and freak themselves out
    When you judge another, you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the same things.
    "Its not a democracy......its a davetatorship"
    Resident wiseman
    As shaq said it "hey kobe tell me how my ass taste"
    Your GIRLFRIEND ismy biggest fan :wub:
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Dave; i think the part that states; "DO NOT MOVE THE VICTIM", should be in HUGE red italic letters.....otherwise .good job!!
    Iv'e Out lived my expiration date...........

Good advice Dave.

Alert, aware.
    If rider is conscious.

Airway, Breathing, Circulation.
    Sorry if I see you not awake and you don't wake up when I rub my knuckles across your sternum. I am going to make sure all three things listed above are intact by using any previous training I have had.

If the rider appears to be ok, don't move him right away, have them take a mental system check, note any areas of discomfort.

If at any time a rider has a pain DO NOT MOVE them as many have noted already, I could take 12 hours to talk about people not thinking they were hurt only to end up with a broken neck.

Dima should have a ton of stories as well.

Of all the wrecks I have been at when riding with guys here, we always are surprisingly good at paying attention to what is going on and getting things done quickly. Without moving the downed rider. I feel we are very good about handling crash situations.

"Awesome taste in motorcycles + sweaters...."---Reed

i didnt start this thread to talk about year round gay pride floats

This is all great advice...I have been lucky enough to only be on one ride where there was an accident...my own...but I do have some "1st response" knowledge in case something does happen

I think this has been mentioned before elsewhere, but it is also smart for every rider to have a "ICE" phone number stored in their cell phone. ICE = In Case of Emergency

This way, in case no one else on the ride knows the person very well, their friend/family members can be contacted.