Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Should a Rider Crash on a Ride

I just read through this thread and I like the itemized list. That being said though, I want to clarify a few things here since some of them are misleading. Eric, if you're still around please don't take any of this personal but there's somethings that need to be changed. And for background, I'm a career firefighter/paramedic. I've dealt with an emergency or two along the road. So after seeing this thread linked on another forum, I thought it'd be a good idea to clear up a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by FFEric06 View Post
    Just a couple things i would like to add to this section being a Firefighter.
    1.) Hold head with both hands. if anything place head in lap. This will protect patients neck and spinal column from moving.
    If you're going to hold the head, it's being held inline in a normal position. This isn't applying traction or anything of that nature. It's merely to remind them not to move with the physical barrier of your hands there. Do not place their head in your lap as this will curl the neck doing two things. In a patient with a lowered level of consciousness it could lead to airway occlusion, and in a spinal injury could potentially worsen it since it's not a neutral or natural position. At times on a scene, I will hold someone's c-spine with my knees on the side of their head to free up my hands to do other things. I don't advocate this for an untrained or inexperienced provider.

2.) Person holding head, Ask stupid questions. Tell jokes what ever. Keep the person talking anafelectic shock, will kill.
    Do keep talking to the patient. This keeps them mentally engaged to what's going on around them. Anaphylactic shock, while being potentially fatal has nothing to do with a crash. Anaphylactic "shock" has to do with an allergic reaction. Shock in general can be fatal. Talking to a patient does nothing to reverse the effects of shock. It simply keeps them mentally involved which is what they need. It also serves to reassure them that they are not alone.

3.) Do not remove boots. They are keeping everything intact if broken.
    Don't remove any gear. Leave it to us to do if it's required.

4.) Keep their head elevated higher then the rest of their body.
    This might be difficult if you're not on a hill and really trying to maintain spinal immobilization. Level ground is fine. The head higher than the rest of their body becomes more important in an unresponsive patient due to airway issues.

5.) if its slightly chilly out or even if its warmer out. allways cover patient with a jacket, blanket, what ever. Heat= comfort= keeping out of anafelectic shock.
    Keeping someone warm is important for the comfort measure. Comfort again has nothing to do with anaphylactic shock.

6.) if there is an open wound. Constant pressure on this wound IMMEDIATLY.
    7.) Compound fractures. dont touch.
    A compound fracture is an open wound. These two statements directly contradict each other. The best thing to do with any fracture is simply not to touch it. If it's bleeding profusely apply direct pressure, otherwise leave it alone.

8.) Do an initial pat down. like you see on cops. paying attention to the face. Even an unconcious person will grimace when a injured body part is touched.
    Doing this is great. But I'll just have to redo it when I get there. Unless you're trained and really know what you're feeling for, just keep the patient calm and talk to him/her. Easing their anxiety goes a long way and is really one of the biggest hurdles we have after we arrive.

9.) most important. Even if the person is up and walking. Sit them down hold their head and call 911. Adrenaline is a embolding body chemical at this point. it will dull pain. and can lead to damaging more body parts.
    If you're going to sit them, have them lie down. Better yet, if they're already up simply have them remain standing still while holding their head in a forward looking position. Sitting them can cause damage. We have ways of getting someone on a backboard after we arrive. We may simply sit them on it, or we may do a standing take down where they remain perfectly in line based on our assessment. Avoiding manipulation until after you've done an assessment that you understand is key.

As far as the whole ICE concept goes. I haven't ever looked in someone's cell phone for a contact number, nor would I. I can't be assured that it's their phone. Not to mention that in an emergency, we don't have time for something like that. The hospital may or may not look for it. But I can tell you that I won't, nor do I know of anyone that has looked for it and used it. A better idea would be to keep a sheet with your license that has your name, address, date of birth, medical problems, medications and allergies on it along with an emergency contact. Keeping a photocopy of your drivers license on that sheet of paper isn't a bad idea either, that gives a positive ID as to who it is. And a license is something someone will look for at a scene. EMS will use it to get information, and the cops will definitely want it. If the paper is with it, it will be found.

Shane
    Last edited by medic001918; 03-20-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added about ICE

This thread needs a bump. Tonight NO ONE was helping direct traffic... on a blind corner.
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10

As far as the whole ICE concept goes. I haven't ever looked in someone's cell phone for a contact number, nor would I. I can't be assured that it's their phone. Not to mention that in an emergency, we don't have time for something like that. The hospital may or may not look for it. But I can tell you that I won't, nor do I know of anyone that has looked for it and used it. A better idea would be to keep a sheet with your license that has your name, address, date of birth, medical problems, medications and allergies on it along with an emergency contact. Keeping a photocopy of your drivers license on that sheet of paper isn't a bad idea either, that gives a positive ID as to who it is. And a license is something someone will look for at a scene. EMS will use it to get information, and the cops will definitely want it. If the paper is with it, it will be found.

Shane
    I dont give a shit about ICE when im in the middle of an assessment. More worried about my ABC's than who i should be calling to let them know that someone took a shitter on their bike. I agree with shane, let the hospital worry about it.

On another note,it would be nice if you kept a med list, allergies, and basic details of youself in your wallet, it would save a ton of time

oh and if anyone is ever eager enough to create a turniquet to stop a bleeding extremity, please note the time as to which it was placed. k thanks.

oh, and place it above the artery, not below. direct pressure is the way to go.. tourniquets for us are used as a last resort.
    Last edited by Butt3rBall3r; 07-14-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    I'm nobody important

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    This thread needs a bump. Tonight NO ONE was helping direct traffic... on a blind corner.
    im surprised no one took the lead.

before rides maybe designate two people to slow/stop traffic should someone have an accident?
    I'm nobody important