Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended routes through North Carolina

Default Recommended routes through North Carolina

So I found a car to replace my 240, and I'm flying down to South Carolina on Friday to pick it up (barring any disastrous conditions or items that weren't disclosed to me). It's located in Greenville, SC which is on the western side of the state.

Seeing as how I have all day Saturday and Sunday to drive it home, I thought it might be a bit more fun and interesting to take a detour into western NC and drive on some of those roads on the way home.

Right now I'm looking at the Blue Ridge Parkway north from Asheville, NC because it's basically still in the direction of home, but I'm debating going further west and possibly visiting the gap. I just don't want to get too crazy getting too far out of the way.

So - those of you with experience with that general area (I have none): any suggestions for the trip home?

Unless your in a car that handles twisty's well.............i'd say it's a Looong way out of your way just to SEE the roads IMO.

But if you must.........find rt. 129 near Blood Mtn. Georgia & follow it north to rt. 28 ,then run 129 North. to Knoxville & pick up the interstate from there.
    That's one option.
    Or you could just run 28 north from the Georgia/N.C. border to 129 (The Dragon)
    Last edited by 5TOEZ; 12-14-2011 at 06:59 PM.
    Iv'e Out lived my expiration date...........

If were planning on picking up the brp in Asheville (which I do recommend) the time out will take you to get to the dragon, run it to the overlook, turn around, buy a sticker and get back to Asheville is maybe 2 hours. And if your in the area and haven't done the dragon, you should do it.

Fair warning on the BRP. You can take it all the way back to Maryland or something. It's long, and twisty. and this time of year, at altitude, there's a high probability of snow or ice. also, if you really want to just kill time, the cherohala skyway is gorgeous, but again, at altitude.

Overall those are my 3 suggestions. The dragon just to do it. Then the skyway is you're ahead of schedule and the BRP.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    Unless your in a car that handles twisty's well.............i'd say it's a Looong way out of your way just to SEE the roads IMO.
    It's no skittle, but I think it'll handle the twisty's just fine.

I can't lie, I'm pretty jealous I can't make this trip with him.

Sooooo, whatcha gettin'?
    Ad Astra Per Aspera

If all goes as planned I'll be bringing home an E46 M3, so the drive home is something I am absolutely looking forward to.

The weather is looking clear and in the 60s in the lower elevations ... though judging by killboy's pictures on facebook from last week snow definitely is a possibility. Kyle, I didn't realize it could be that quick of a trip from Asheville. If the weather cooperates I'm 100% going for it. I will not be testing snow with summer tires, though.

What happened to the 240 anyway? I remember you and your dad working on it the last time I came over

Quote Originally Posted by CtRacer51 View Post
    What happened to the 240 anyway? I remember you and your dad working on it the last time I came over
    Squeaked through emissions after clearing the codes and crossing my fingers (after 4 or 5 tries)!

It's been 2 years since I've been there, I'll check the timing between the 2, but I know last time I was there we did the dragon and a reasonable stretch of the brp in the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by petro240 View Post
    I will not be testing snow with summer tires, though.
    Did that once with the 328, not good times. I think the rears are even wider on the m3