Page 3 of 178 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun chat

I believe CT has no law against open carry I know some people that carry openly

Oh boy... this might get good. Ill type an actual response later.

Connecticut is not a traditional open carry state. Outside of your own residence or place of business, a permit is required to carry. The permit that Connecticut issues is a carry permit, not a concealed carry permit, so open carry IS legal with a permit.

I however wouldn't open carry anyway because I have also heard of many cases where people get crap for it

Quote Originally Posted by yev View Post

I'm going to try this..
    (You don't mind bailing me out, do you?)

Shouldn't matter IMHO.
    It should be up to each person's preference..
    i agree. But without going into a huge full blown discussion I think Concealed is the way to go. If shit is going to hit the fan I would rather have the element of surprise than a big neon arrow above my head(aka visible gun on my side) saying take out this fool first.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    i agree. But without going into a huge full blown discussion I think Concealed is the way to go. If shit is going to hit the fan I would rather have the element of surprise than a big neon arrow above my head(aka visible gun on my side) saying take out this fool first.
    Yeppp.. Couldn't agree more with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    I am slow, Yev is completely incompetent, and you are an asshole.
    Set the bar low, Ian. Always set it low
    Slow Is Smooth…Smooth Is Fast

There was actually a news report on tv the other day, cant remember what state this happened in but it was open carry. The guy that was legally open carrying got robbed with his own gun. Guy came from behind, pulled it out of his holster and then took his wallett at gun point so yeah, i rather conceal.

I believe everyone should have at least one gun. Hell, more if they want.

I do, still, believe I should be the only one allowed to own ammunition, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nast View Post
    I believe CT has no law against open carry I know some people that carry openly
    Big time grey area in CT... Nothing saying you can't open, nothing implicitly saying you can... I'm not really sure why anyone would want to open carry. I kind of associate that with little penis syndrome.
    Last edited by scubasteve; 02-13-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Matt V. 9/19/10

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
    Big time grey area in CT... Nothing saying you can't open, nothing implicitly saying you can... I'm not really sure why anyone would want to open carry. I kind of associate that with little penis syndrome.
    There is no grey area. Connecticut is an open carry state. Since there is nothing stating your firearm needs to be concealed, it is legal.

If people want to open carry that is fine. I sometimes do when i'm hanging around at home. I choose to conceal when I am in public. Like others said, I would prefer the element of surprise if I ever needed it.

I think it should be a person's choice, not the government.
    Wedding Photographer
    www.jamesbernatchez.com

Ok, my turn.

CT is a permit to carry state. Meaning, there is no STATE law requiring the firearm to be concealed or open. However, various municipalities have different ordinances. So, in that regard, better to keep concealed because if the police have no reason to stop you, they don't know you have a firearm and you go on your way regardless. However, open carry, and you WILL be stopped and spoken with. And yes, the law allows for that, if for nothing more than for us to check your permit.

On a personal note, there is no way I would ever want to carry open if not on duty. I do not want other people to know I have a firearm on my person. If they know, and they intend to do me harm or otherwise, they can accommodate and possibly attempt to take my firearm from me. If they do not know it is there, I can get to it before they ever know. And that would likely save my, or someone else's life.

Now, as a LEO, I am not against anyone that is legally able to carry a firearm. As long as they pass the background check, safety course, and are of legal age. I FIRMLY feel that anyone carrying a firearm should do so concealed. To do otherwise is reckless imo. Carrying openly, albeit legally, creates a risk. People that do not like guns may feel intimidated or scared and call the police.

Now I know that many will say "so what? It's my right." Yes it is, but then it is also THEIR right to call the police. When the police show up and they see a firearm, they will act accordingly. A person who is responsible will act correctly and no one gets hurt. However, make ONE wrong move, such as touching the firearm, reaching towards it (even if just going for your wallet), you take a major risk of getting hurt or killed. (And I am sorry, you cannot blame it on the cop. If you have your gun on your hip, and you see someone near you reaching towards theirs, what are YOU going to do? Remember, tunnel vision, adrenaline, and fear for your own life is taking over...)

So, best bet IMO is to keep the gun in the holster, out of sight, until it is ready to go back in the safe or you are about to defend your or someone else's life. That simple.

(I know, another long post, but this is a topic I am intimately familiar with.)
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )