Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering Changing Careers

Default Considering Changing Careers

I am considering changing careers, I have a few things that I am considering, but want to know this from all of you

What do you do?
    Do you Like it?
    Is there special training required?
    Would you recommend what you do to others?
    Are you burnt out and considering changing Careers yourself?

My quick Background, I'm 31 I have 2 degrees in Graphic Design and Photography. I work as a designer for a children's book/greeting card company, I'm not completely opposed to going back to school, but don't want to if I don't have to, and it would have to be night classes since I have bills to pay.

Ideally I would like a job that at the end of the day I feel like I made some sort of difference to someone or something

Ready...............................GO!
    If My Jokes Offend You
    1. I'm Sorry
    2. It'll Never Happen Again
    3. 1&2 Are Lies
    4. You're A Pussy

I did 9ish years in IT behind a desk and was getting tired of it, not of the job or what I did day to day but just the way that mgrs were treating everyone.
    Then the economy tanked and did 3yrs at ATT as an installer, and I did actually like that job because of the work involved, I like to figure out problems and each install is a new problem, and was outside driving all over CT, but I had zero life as we worked 6 day weeks 10-14hr days.
    Now back in an IT job, Mon-Fri 8-4ish.
    Current mgrs aren't too bad, they really have no clue what it is I do, but everyone here seems to like me and I keep them from complaining to any mgrs about stuff not working, so this isn't your typical corporate office type environment, still a small mom n pop type office.

You need to ask yourself, will I go insane if I keep doing this, or do I just need to find another company or project that I might fit better.
    Try talking to your mgr if you have a good relationship with them, see if there are any other things you may be able to move to to spike your interest, you never know.

I doubt my post will help much as I do graphic design as well.
    I work for an engineering company doing:
    -catalog page layout
    -catalog covers
    -pull up banners
    -trade show booth backdrops
    -trade show pamphlets/literature
    -product cut sheets
    etc etc etc...

I like what I do simply because it is NOT consumer advertising. I do alot of cookie cutter artwork and once in a while get treated with the chance to do some real creative work. This may sound backasswards for a designer. However Im pretty sure if I had to constantly do the creative stuff... THEN i would burn out. Its nice to have a combination. Nothing worse than trying to be creative when you have a cold or somthing lol.

I have an associates... I dont really feel a bachelors is needed in this field. if I went back to school for anythign in relation to this career I would probably take more web focused classes and marketing classes.

I too wonder if I want to stay in this field or find a career that is more active and or interactive with the public. Im curious to see what responses you get to this thread.
    "Im workin on it!!!!"
    ATTACK LIFE... ITS GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY.

2003 GSXR600 - Gone and missed
    1990 CBR600f - Being beat into submission
    (Ian's helping with rubber mallets)
    2006 Ninja 650R

What I do etc isn't really any help, but, what about a change within your field? You don't exactly strike me as a childrens book/ greeting card type.

Perhaps find something more exciting or flashy, animation for comic books? Movie posters? What about starting your own company? You could do that while still in your 9-5 and test it out.

Unless you're totally burnt out on art/creative. Then just ignore me.

you need to get a job like mercurial. He puts in a solid 6 hours of work a week, at least 1 day from home, and the people he works for think he's a hero

all kidding aside, i'm a technology program manager (specifically financial technology). do you need specialized training? yes and no. There are designations to help your career but basically it comes down to your experience and resume and whether or not you know your shit. I'm absolutely burnt out. I fucking hate it and I would not recommend it. The landscape is never pleasant as is as follows:

ridiculous expectations from clients without solid requirements while spending gargantuan sums of money over long periods of time = regularly pissed off client, burnt out project team members and a pressure cooker environment that ripens people to take a swan dive off a window cleaning scaffold. Do more with less and have it done yesterday. why won't you deliver what I can't describe to you.

If you can eat mountains of pressure and stress and are relatively well organized with half a brain in your head and don't mind herding kittens while maintaining the peace and have thick enough skin to eat shit 80 hours a week, I say go for it because they pay a lot of money (and when I say a lot, I really mean a lot) for that skill set.

Personally, i can't take it anymore and it's not really me, so I'm switching careers. Most people do not do something they love for work...it's almost a mythical unicorn...i think the trick is to find something you don't mind doing...cause you're gonna be doing it for a long time.

Listen to Palmy, do something you like...don't chase money.

What do you do? I am an engineer, but currently am doing resident engineer work (inspection)
    Do you Like it? yes and no (don't have my PE stamp yet)
    Is there special training required? BS in engineering
    Would you recommend what you do to others? as long as they don't like people
    Are you burnt out and considering changing Careers yourself? some weeks I'm burnt out, some weeks I'm fine; it's a career not a job so I expect some kind of fluctuation. I consider changing careers all the time; for instance, I'd like to be a Brewmaster at a local brewery, that would be a cool career change for me, but I wouldn't make the same money, so logic takes over; I'd like to open a nano-brewery some day but need to really dig into the CT zoning regs to see if it's evan possible. Until then, I'll keep making beer on the weekends for me and my friends.
    I think no matter what your career is it will have it's ups and downs, I personally don't want to turn my back on the years I spent in school (nor those student loans I'm still paying back) I enjoy what I do sometimes, sometimes I don't. I think I'd enjoy a career change for a little while, but eventually would be back into the same oscillation of enjoyment and dislike of my career; brewing beer isn't all drinking and having fun, it's dealing with suppliers, getting the recipe right, coaxing yeast to work on your deadline and ballancing books at what is essentially a factory, and trying to sell your product; it's work.

I'm sure this post wasn't helpful at all, good luck with the career change, hope you figure it out.

quick rundown of my jobs in the past:
    grocery store bagboy
    dunkin donuts coffee slinger
    ice cream scoop/asst. manager at an ice cream place
    painter
    draftsman
    weight lifting instructor
    English Tutor
    Physics Tutor
    construction inspector
    construction scheduler
    resident engineer

most of the time I've had 2 or more jobs or job titles; it's not like I change jobs every six months or something
    Definition of an Engineer: An individual that knows how to do just about everything, but can't do much of anything, and can't explain how to do anything to anyone who isn't also an engineer.
    riding a motorcycle may be dangerous, but at least I don't ride a horse; that's really dangerous.http://medicine.ucalgary.ca/about/horseback

Quote Originally Posted by Palm Bomb View Post
    Most people do not do something they love for work...it's almost a mythical unicorn...i think the trick is to find something you don't mind doing...cause you're gonna be doing it for a long time.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. I can't stand people who go on and on about LOVING their job. The other 75% out there dislike their jobs give me a break we don't want to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno Solutions View Post
    Listen to Palmy, do something you like...don't chase money.
    That's not exactly what he said lol

Quote Originally Posted by ct1200 View Post
    You need to ask yourself, will I go insane if I keep doing this, or do I just need to find another company or project that I might fit better.
    Try talking to your mgr if you have a good relationship with them, see if there are any other things you may be able to move to to spike your interest, you never know.
    There's a dirty little secret in Graphic Design and That is, unless your on top by the time you're 40-45 (I.E Art Director,) You're done. Younger people are considered Hipper and thought to have a better grasp of the technology. It's not true but a lot of people who hire designers see it that way

Quote Originally Posted by itgbudeev View Post
    Perhaps find something more exciting or flashy, animation for comic books? Movie posters? What about starting your own company? You could do that while still in your 9-5 and test it out.

Unless you're totally burnt out on art/creative. Then just ignore me.
    I thought this way. A little more than 4 years ago Before I met Becky I was offered to do some work with ICON in Portland Oregon and I turned it down because I really didn't want to live in Oregon. I look back at that and say I probably would have loved that job, but If I took it I wouldn't have met my wife and I would be living in Oregon. If I could get a kick ass job in say the Motorcycle industry it may keep me content for a while but I think ultimately I'm getting burned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Palm Bomb View Post
    you need to get a job like mercurial. He puts in a solid 6 hours of work a week, at least 1 day from home, and the people he works for think he's a hero

all kidding aside, i'm a technology program manager (specifically financial technology). do you need specialized training? yes and no. There are designations to help your career but basically it comes down to your experience and resume and whether or not you know your shit. I'm absolutely burnt out. I fucking hate it and I would not recommend it. The landscape is never pleasant as is as follows:

ridiculous expectations from clients without solid requirements while spending gargantuan sums of money over long periods of time = regularly pissed off client, burnt out project team members and a pressure cooker environment that ripens people to take a swan dive off a window cleaning scaffold. Do more with less and have it done yesterday. why won't you deliver what I can't describe to you.

If you can eat mountains of pressure and stress and are relatively well organized with half a brain in your head and don't mind herding kittens while maintaining the peace and have thick enough skin to eat shit 80 hours a week, I say go for it because they pay a lot of money (and when I say a lot, I really mean a lot) for that skill set.

Personally, i can't take it anymore and it's not really me, so I'm switching careers. Most people do not do something they love for work...it's almost a mythical unicorn...i think the trick is to find something you don't mind doing...cause you're gonna be doing it for a long time.
    Your job seems like I would walk in one day with a bat and just start swinging for the fences.
    Don't get me wrong I have a cool office where I can bring my dogs to work and wear what ever the hell I want and quite literally have caught up on entire seasons of shows while working. My biggest issue is I feel like what I do is trivial. Everyday I come here and just count the minutes until I can leave. I am no longer really a designer but in charge of holding everybody's hand to get things out on time. Plus I'm getting really freaking tired of sitting behind a desk all day.
    If My Jokes Offend You
    1. I'm Sorry
    2. It'll Never Happen Again
    3. 1&2 Are Lies
    4. You're A Pussy

New Britain is hiring 37 police officers....