Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering Changing Careers

I see we have a few LEOs in the building... I guess I'm on the other side of the radio.

What do you do? 911 Telecommunications Operator... Long for - Dispatcher.
    Do you Like it? Yes, although I've only been doing it for less then a year I've been involved with the public safety field through both Fire Service and my father working in this room for close to 18 years now.

Is there special training required? Nothing special, they provide the training and pay for you to get the certifications.
    Would you recommend what you do to others? Take a certian type of person to do this job, you don't always know what's going on with the person on the other end of the phone, but it is rewarding knowing you're helping others even in the smallest ways.
    Are you burnt out and considering changing Careers yourself? Unfortunately the burn out rate for my job is between 5 to 7 years, there are quite a few people who are burnt out but others deal with burn out rates differently. I personally am using this as a stepping stone to get into becoming an LEO since I am still young, being that I am only 21.
    Sold.

im in a similar situation right now. couple weeks back lost my job after dealership was sold. now im not sure what to do. ( currently a tech for Honda/ Acura) i used to love my job/ work but with everything else get burnt out over 20+ years of doing it and the industry just isnt what it used to be and is going to continue to go downhill. you do need a good amount of training to do it correctly as well as a ton of cash in tools , used to be able to make good cash ( esp for what most consider a piss ant job for those who didnt get a real education ) but not so much anymore. i def like it a lot more when im doing it cause i want to vs have to. so if working on cars etc was something you have considered... stay away!!
    a whole crap load of bikes
    04 gixx 1k ..stolen...
    06 gixx 1k a few mods so far..

What do you do? Operations Manager in an Evaluated Pricing Dept.

Do you Like it? Yes and No. Babysitting over educated MIT and Harvard grads gets old. But, telling them they are stupid never does

Is there special training required? Generally, you need a background in either trading, valuations analysis or quantitative analysis

Would you recommend what you do to others? Sure

Are you burnt out and considering changing Careers yourself? I must have been on the edge as I'm just getting over a case of the shingles. Even though we are an old company our Evaluated Pricing dept is a new start up division after we purchase a small boutique shop specializing in OTC pricing. A lot of headaches came with the acquisition and I am commissioned to clean it up. I'm open to changing jobs/employer but not industries.
    Last edited by db79; 03-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Oh man, Rick. Hope you find something else you like better. As one door closes, another one opens as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Daimian View Post
    There's a dirty little secret in Graphic Design and That is, unless your on top by the time you're 40-45 (I.E Art Director,) You're done. Younger people are considered Hipper and thought to have a better grasp of the technology. It's not true but a lot of people who hire designers see it that way
    So what your saying is you don't want to grow up? I know, me neither.
    But I know alot of jobs are like that, if your not a mgr by 40-45 there must be something wrong with you.
    Personally I just don't what to babysit anyone, let me know what needs to get done and when it needs to be done by, and I'm on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daimian View Post

What do you do? - Architectural Design and Construction Management
    Do you Like it? - Yes, very much
    Is there special training required? - only if you want to be licensed architect, you need a professional degree, 5 year undergrad or 3 year grad. then a 5-10 year internship, then 7 tests that take about a year to complete.
    Would you recommend what you do to others? - pay is less then what you would get for other professions requiring the same leave of experience, but yes I love it so i would recommend.
    Are you burnt out and considering changing Careers yourself? - not yet, but I have been doing this post college for only 6 years now.
    stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    he's a social liability
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
    Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean724 View Post
    I can't stand people who go on and on about LOVING their job.
    I LOVE MY JOB!

sowie
    he's a social liability
    Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability.

Quote Originally Posted by tecster View Post
    I see we have a few LEOs in the building... I guess I'm on the other side of the radio.

What do you do? 911 Telecommunications Operator... Long for - Dispatcher.
    Do you Like it? Yes, although I've only been doing it for less then a year I've been involved with the public safety field through both Fire Service and my father working in this room for close to 18 years now.

Is there special training required? Nothing special, they provide the training and pay for you to get the certifications.
    Would you recommend what you do to others? Take a certian type of person to do this job, you don't always know what's going on with the person on the other end of the phone, but it is rewarding knowing you're helping others even in the smallest ways.
    Are you burnt out and considering changing Careers yourself? Unfortunately the burn out rate for my job is between 5 to 7 years, there are quite a few people who are burnt out but others deal with burn out rates differently. I personally am using this as a stepping stone to get into becoming an LEO since I am still young, being that I am only 21.
    That has to be a stressful job. You need to maintain your composure when someone on the other end has lost there's. Cant be easy to gain and maintain control sometimes. I respect anyone how can handle a job like this and do it well, I couldn't do it.
    he's a social liability

Forgive me here.

Why is it, when alot of people are looking for a job, or are unemployed, it seems that cop is always at the top of the list.

I am not picking on anyone in particular here.

"Mike" is now unemployed. There isn't anything on the horizon, and job pickings are slim. Why is it that "Mike" thinks that they are a shoe in to be a cop, or that anyone can do it.

In other words, it is the fall back last resort. Why do alot of people assume anyone can be a cop?

From my understanding, getting a job as an LEO is NOT just a walk in the park, and you need an in, so to speak.
    RIP Reed. Never to be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
    That has to be a stressful job. You need to maintain your composure when someone on the other end has lost there's. Cant be easy to gain and maintain control sometimes. I respect anyone how can handle a job like this and do it well, I couldn't do it.
    I appreciate this post more then you might imagine...I think alot of my co workers would as well. I so far in the almost 6 months I've been here have already recieved calls from the stupidest most simpliest to he's got a gun pointed at my head what am I to do call...

It's not easy, and once you lose the caller and they become hystarical... good luck getting them back. Also hearing what's going on from the road, and not being able to actually SEE what's going on - is very stressful and difficult.
    Sold.