Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And just like that, I'm now that guy

Default And just like that, I'm now that guy

That crashes on the warm up session of a trackday and pops the air fence.

Honestly I don't know what happened. Fourth lap into the warmup session I was still taking it really easy and checking my lines. On the previous lap I had noticed a bit of a slick spot in the exit of 2 but figured it was a tar snake or something similarly inconsequential since it was more or less right smack on the racing line. Next time through I was carrying an extra couple miles per hour coming through there but hadn't yet started to roll on the throttle. At point in pretty well clueless. The back tire came around on me and I low sided on my left. The bike spun around on it's side and went tail first into the air fence. The impact folded the tail down over the subframe which, now that it was exposed, punched through the fence. I ended up on my back sliding feet first towards the wall and hit it with just enough force to know that I hit it.

Other than some major cosmetic issues in the tail region, and a tweaked fairing stay (aftermarket and easy to bend back) the bike is fine. I swapped on my rain tires as it was getting wet at that point and was back out not too long after it happened.

I ended up with a pissed off right hand (not sure what actually happened to it) which isn't at all swollen but sure as shit feels like it is. I may also have tweaked my back slightly but I don't think I'll know for sure until tomorrow if and when it decides to be sore.

Overall it was an incredibly shitty day. My next session out I was thinking about every possible thing except riding the bike and decided that I had absolutely no business being on the track in that state so I packed it up and left before I could do something stupid and get myself or someone else hurt. Guess we'll see what happens in June.

Pictures to be posted later though there aren't many.

sorry to hear man..
    fwiw, i hit a very slick spot 3/4 of the way through 2 once upon a time.. front and rear both skipped out what felt like a foot and the bars wagged at me pretty hard...
    i nearly shat myself.

i don't think it was actual debris that day, but who knows

heal up

Find your own path and encourage others to do the same.

Pay it Forward

Dohhhh sucks dude - hope ur hand and back are alright!
    Matt V. 9/19/10

brian decided to be a funny motherf'r -

The tires that may or may not have saved me from being that guy, to little too late I'm afraid.

Yes, Not that guy anymore!

Sorry to hear Ian. Let me know if you need a hand fixing it up.

Edit: Well that's one advantage to a steel subframe.
    Last edited by drinkingmymilk; 05-22-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10

And thank you for taking that title from me vanilla gorilla.
    Glad you didn't hurt yourself and call me when you fix it. Considering I can walk to your place
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3

thanks for the offers guys but it was fixed before i left the track. the fiberglass could stand to be redone but its duct taped on for now so im not gonna worry too much. I also have a spare tail section out in mt that i can ship back next time im out there

Slicks/wet = crash. Bike dont look to bad. Hope you feel better soon.
    Motorcycle Picture Game: Challenges completed: 27/ Bonus Points: 3 / Sniped: 2

Mission control to ground rocket, did you bring a change of underwear?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr35s25Oh7E

Quote Originally Posted by ninja fruit View Post
    No need for knee sliders just duct tape soup ladles to your legs

During two separate sessions today, I had similar issues in turn 2. The first time my rear end drifted out and back before straightening out. Glad I wasn't on the gas. A couple sessions later the FRONT end almost washed out on me. I honestly don't know what kept it upright, but I am damn glad I have been riding with you guys, listening, and paying attention at the track days. Staying light on the bars is what likely kept me from washing out.

Ian, Don't know if you had heard, at least 3 or 4 other people went down in that same exact spot, and I can't even begin to tell you how many were complaining about it, saying they had close calls.

Your off sucks, but I am very glad that you weren't hurt. Looking forward to getting on the track with you in June. (and I am not sorry about the tape. I thought it was funny!)
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )

Once your that guy, your always that guy! (all 3 of you )

Glad your ok man, we ALL have our moments in one way or another.