Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: June Trackdays Report (Personal instruction review)

Default June Trackdays Report (Personal instruction review)

First and foremost I want to give a HUGE thanks to Tony for making this another safe trackday despite there being more crashes than anyone would like to see. Hope all the crashee’s are physically okay. Bikes can be fixed easily but the body needs more time. Second, I would like to thank Ken and Paul D. for the personal instruction(more on this later). Third, I would like to thank all the other riders that I shared the track/pit with and had a great trackday event. Definitely got some good laughs, jokes, and a great way to relax after two long weeks at work. I would start listing names but that could be endless so everyone thanks for the great company. Also, it was awesome riding with John(Blue 06 636/Jonnyzx14 I think?), Mike C(silver 08+ cbr 1k), Wilson(07/08 zx6r), Alex(White Triumph 675R for being a great sport for letting Vinny and Chris pink zebra tape his bike then riding with it the rest of the day. :lol), Brian(KrazyAgain 05/06 R1) and Chris(Milk Hawley’s death trap). Also, a big thanks to the control riders and instructors for riding with me and giving me a thumbs up as they went cruising past me .

Saturday night I got to the track pretty late. Snuck in and knocked out pretty early.

Sunday I woke up super early(Kurtz time aka 545am) since I forgot to layer up and it was chilly as hell. Got some coffee and watched the morning practice of the vintage sidecars. Then went on the rest of the day pretty much watching all the local LRRS racers kick ass. It was unreal watching some of the speed, lean angles, and corner speed the experts in various classes take through just about every turn. It was cool as hell seeing the duel between Mike (GixxerMike ) and Christian (CSmutty) in the MW class. After the races went out to dinner for Erin’s birthday and then came back to the pits for much needed hilarity. It had been a long two weeks at work, getting the trailer ready, and the prepping the bike. A big shout out goes to Kevin(Outlaw), Heath and Bill(Mustang) for helping me set up the suspension so I didn’t have a high side on the track. After that it was hilarious to see Kurtz, Bill, and Kevin hide Mike R.’s bike with pretty much allll the garbage cans in the garages. You couldn’t even see it bike. Alex watched on laughed and was like I hope my bike isn’t next. He was assured by the BORN crew, his bike was next. We all laughed and left it at that.

Monday morning. Going through tech and was told my brake pads were low. One of the things that I failed to check over while I was working on the bike in the previous week. I went over to Miles and bought some new pads to make sure that was one less thing I needed to worry about. Replaced the pads just in time for me to make it out for the warm-up/follow the leader session. I was signed up for the 1-on-1 personal instruction with Paul D. we chatted for a bit and I told him the news about my bike so he let me have the first two sessions to get used to the new suspension, brakes, tires, and shake off some of the over the winter. Second session went out on time, and got into a pretty comfortable groove. Bike was feeling well, the suspension was giving me plenty of feedback that I did not expect. The tires (thanks to Carl G. aka Cagsmvparts) were free and Pirelli Supercorsa Pro’s with literally no track miles on them. They felt very planted, took everything I gave and inspired tons of confidence. Right before the third session, I went over to Instructor garage a little early set up the communicator with help from Ken and Paul.

Went out for the third session and Paul buzzed in my ear at hot pit, “I’m going to follow you for a few laps to see how you do, see your lines, and where you need help.” Thought to myself cool, this ought to be interesting to see how bad my lines, body position, and overall ability is right off the bat. WRONG. Paul just watched me for a two laps. As we were about to get off the wall down the straight and into T1 he buzzed in “get closer to the curb” immediately I tipped in further and I realized by the time I was tipping over for T1a I was a little out. Again he said get closer to the curb and stay a little to the outside of the X and tip before you flop over for 2. As I did that, I noticed how much sooner I could get on the throttle. That instantly raised my confidence level. Going into 3 I remembered some of the videos, past classroom sessions, and the advice from the instructors to crank your neck to look up the hill. Paul buzzed in again, “Good line,” I was like sweet! Went through the bowl, past the tree house and I was going into 9 a little wide and making it a loop (getting to the white wall/tires on the left too late) and the transitions from the right hander on 10 felt a little unsettling. Paul buzzed in “It’s okay you’ll get it next time.” At this point I tried to slow down a little, then concentrate a little more on making sure I hit my reference points instead of just going by feel. Went into 11 a little wide as always have done it felt the bumps and slowed down for 12/12a before getting on to the straight. Next lap I remembered what Paul said about sticking closer to the curbs through 1/1a/2 did that and he buzzed in “good line do that again next lap”. Went thru 3-7 just the same. Paul buzzed in “Aim straight for that blue/red curbing” on 9 as we were about to pass the cone on 8. I did exactly as he said, he buzzed in “good now slam the bike hard” right as I was hitting the curbing. Again I followed his instinct/expertise and did exactly as he said. The bike drifted out a little at first but then I was closer to the X on left before tipping in for 10. That little trick with the quick turn in set me up perfectly for getting on the throttle sooner coming out of 10. As we were approaching 11 he buzzed in “wait a little longer and then dump it close to the curbing” I did that and all of a sudden I was carrying way more corner speed without hitting the bumps and the drive out of 12a was much better. The rest of the session was pretty much the same. Paul kept buzzing in “good line/wait, now quick turn in/go (followed by) good pass” Etc.

After the session was over, I had a grin on my face and confidence level was really good. We sat down and talked about of the few lines, and how I was approaching them. He reinstated that I was doing good and he was happy I was listening to his advice instantly so my improvement was instant which in turn helped him know that he could give me more to work on. We discussed how and when I should tip in for 1 through 2 then 9 through 12a. That gave me a few assignments to work on my own for the next session. I sat down analyzed in my head what he said, when he said, and where he told me to tip in. I went out on the next session, a little slowly at first warming up my tires, working on my lines and the points he emphasized me to quick turn in. As I turned each lap, I felt more relaxed, comfortable and concentrated on making sure I was being right where I wanted to be in each turn.

Second 1-on-1 session, Paul brought out the Go-Pro and recorded the entire session until the red flag I think. He saw that I had improved my lines and my corner speed had increased as a byproduct. We started to pick some people off and I got more comfortable passing in 1, 2, 4, 10 and 12a. After the session we chatted a bit, he gave me another boost of confidence by telling me I was going really well but I could still take 2 a little better and wanted me to be more consistent with my lines. Then we did some video analysis, he showed me where I should be versus where I was. I kept that in mind for the next session. Also, I mentioned that 3/10 I didn’t feel like I was doing as well as the other turns. Then he said try just cracking the throttle open a little which will help get the bike pointed in the proper direction. So that gave me a couple things to work on my own. I went out and executed the assignments as best I could. I definitely felt more confident in approaching 3 hitting the apex and getting on the throttle much earlier and being able to carry the momentum going into 4. I used the same concept for 10, the results were the same; more speed through the corner.

Last session with Paul. Again he had the camera with him. This was by far the best session of the entire experience. I started to finally get consistent with my lines, body position, and quick turn in. Paul kept saying good more often and definitely made me feel like I was making the right moves on the bike. We pushed a little through 1-12a for most of the laps. I was getting tired so I would relax down the straight and just give my body a few seconds to rest before I pushed again through rest of the track. Unfortunately when we came back to the garage, Paul had realized he put the camera in the wrong setting and there was no footage of the session. Lastly, he ended the 1-on-1 on a positive note by telling me I definitely made a big jump from the start of the day to the end.

(Continued on post 2. Character limit )

Cliffs:

Best trackday EVAAARR!
    1 on 1 personal instruction = Do eeettt! Don’t waste time mulling it over. Totally worth the investment.
    Everyone at TTD rocks.
    Team Brown - LRRS #521

After the trackday was over. I did the track walk to refresh myself with little cracks, pavement changes, where my eyes should be at certain points, etc. A little while after we went to Brookside for some grinders. Came back and chit chatted about a few things. Then Chris and Vinny decide to Pink Zebra tape/pinstripe on Alex’s trumpet. Surprisingly, they did a pretty good job. The next morning Alex came to his bike and was really cool with it and liked it enough to leave it on for the rest of the day. He said for next time he’s going to get a pink zebra print mankini to wear over his leathers to reminisce the pinstripes.

Tuesday. I woke up a little late around 730. Got settled in after the riders meeting. Went out for the first couple sessions and just took it easy. Definitely worked on everything from yesterday. Reminded myself to be consistent. Then after lunch since I ate a little too much I was kind of sloppy since I was ready for a nap. I went wide into 3 on two consecutive laps, I decided to pit early. I was really frustrated but had a quick chat with Gino (uber fast guy on a silly overweight bike) and told him what happened. He said just relax and tone it down and take things easy to get back into the groove. Next four sessions were spot on. I had probably the best time EVER at a trackday in those last 4 sessions. Especially the last two with Keith and Chris (Milk). We made our way through a little traffic and then had open track for a few laps. We definitely hauled ass and I was feeling sky high. We pitted in a little early on the last session since it was a great one and we both wanted to end it in one piece.

Again thanks to everyone that was there. I can’t imagne a better trackday event than I just had. One last shout out goes to Todd at Heroic. He hooked me up with a great set of gloves for a good price and he fixed my GP Tech’s as well. I’m sure others that have bought gear from him this weekend agree they offer solid protection.
    Team Brown - LRRS #521

wow
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    he's a social liability
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamite196 View Post
    Print this out and send it to the social security office as proof of a mental disability.

I'm not gonna lie, that was long as fuck....buut I read the whole thing. Sounds like you made some huge progress and had fun too. Glad it was such a good couple days for you.
    -Darek

That session with Keith was a blast once we picked of the traffic. By far the most fun I've ever had on the track in NH. I'll never forget leapfrog with you on the straight only to have keith come out of no where and out brake the snot out of us in turn 1.
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10

glad you had fun and learned a bunch. Paul is the man

Way to go Mo!!!
    See you in July in NJ??

Mo,

It was awesome riding with you. You were looking great on Tuesday. Thanks for the tip on T9, I worked on that for the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    glad you had fun and learned a bunch. Paul is the man
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Way to go Mo!!!
    See you in July in NJ??
    Sadly, my next trackday more than likely will be in September at Jersey. Hopefully I see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Mo,

It was awesome riding with you. You were looking great on Tuesday. Thanks for the tip on T9, I worked on that for the rest of the day.
    You were looking awesome Mike, and don't thank me. Thanks the TTD staff for helping out their fellow riders.
    Team Brown - LRRS #521

Awesome write up. In glad you had an awesome time. You looked great in the first few turns from where I was watching.
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / Mad Scientist Moto / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / GMD Computrack Boston / Knox / Moto Pizza

2003 Honda CBR600RR
    2009 Kawasaki ER6N
    2007 Kawasaki EX650