Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY home powder coating pics

Came out awesome! Nice work but I totally agree on a regular oven. I keep scouring craigslist for a crappy old electric that someone is throwing out.

Chris, be sure to keep us posted on the longevity of the powder on the pegs. I've always assumed it wouldn't hold up to the wear but I'd like to know for sure how durable it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiMichael View Post
    I keep scouring craigslist for a crappy old electric that someone is throwing out.
    I'll race you to it!

Kudos brother.

Found this setup on Craigslist tonight.

Wish I had the room for it.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/3712613631.html
    R.I.P Matt V - 9/19/10

R.I.P. Reed - 3/23/08

IMO if your going to have a home PC setup then a glass bead cabinet is also a must. The PC really bites onto beaded parts better than smooth. The PC is usually thick enough not to show the surface texture. I too have been considering getting a setup. At HF you can get everything sans the oven for @$250. All the reviews I've read say that the HF setup works perfectly but only when using quality PC. Apparently the PC that HF carries is junk.

Quote Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
    everybody wants to be black till the cops show up.

Yeah, all these small things I've been able to beadblast at work prior to coating.
    Next up will be my handlebar, so I can finally fill it with silicone to cut down the vibrations and then install my heated grips.

Quote Originally Posted by FasYankee View Post
    IMO if your going to have a home PC setup then a glass bead cabinet is also a must. The PC really bites onto beaded parts better than smooth. The PC is usually thick enough not to show the surface texture. I too have been considering getting a setup. At HF you can get everything sans the oven for @$250. All the reviews I've read say that the HF setup works perfectly but only when using quality PC. Apparently the PC that HF carries is junk.
    This, exactly. Get quality powder from one of the many vendors online and the HF setup works very well indeed. I will post some pics I took of my latest stuff later tonight.

HF blast cabinet + HF gun = excellent results. I am still scouring craigslist for a cheap oven but for now the small parts in the $20 toaster oven work great.

Saw some chea ovens at the locale Re-store. May be worth check one in your area.

I don't know if any of you looked but if you google how to make a powder coating oven, there's a guy who has a blog about it and a bunch of other stuff (he made his own blasting cabinet). His write ups are funny as hell, and the cabinet is pretty straightforward. Basically it's just steel framing studs and galv steel sheet. You just source the electrics from a busted ass oven. Seems like the best bet for doing things frame and smaller. I'm slowly going to start setting this up. Getting the HF blast cabinet and PC gun first (I already have an oversized toaster oven) and then building the bigger oven later. I figure that 3x3x6' interior dimensions will be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by JHawley View Post
    everybody wants to be black till the cops show up.