Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: sound bar

Quote Originally Posted by weld View Post
    Well, it has Bluetooth, but the only way to switch that on is to use the included remote with the LCD display.
    The Bluetooth is for receiving, so you can stream audio from your phone/tablet/whatever. It does not transmit, so BT headphones will not work.
    Kwicherbichen. I'm old and I'm slow and I don't care. Get off my lawn, ya punk.

So groupon had a 30% off sale today so picked up the vizio sb3820-c6 38" soundbar only for $69. This will be for the bedroom tv so no need for the version with the sub. If this sounds as good as the reviews I have read on here and online then I will probably grab the 40" with satellite rear speakers and sub for the living room
    Last edited by eric351w; 02-02-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Make sure if you have a newer 4k tv or something you're going to use it that your soundbar has a HDMI input. Optical is great but the newer TVs have this new standard to work with HDMI so it detects it as a device (like a pc or xbox/ps4) and enable control over it. My sound bar doesn't have it and it's a pain in the ass.

Thanks! The bedroom tv is a led but a few years old and not 4k. The sound bar does not have hdmi either so it will be on the optical which I don't really mind since its just for the bedroom. Anything will be better than the factory crappy Samsung speakers. The one for the living room will have HDMI though so should be set there.

Quote Originally Posted by eric351w View Post
    Thanks! The bedroom tv is a led but a few years old and not 4k. The sound bar does not have hdmi either so it will be on the optical which I don't really mind since its just for the bedroom. Anything will be better than the factory crappy Samsung speakers. The one for the living room will have HDMI though so should be set there.
    Yea if it's older you're fine with just optical
    I love how easy sound bars are and the sound you get with them. Essential for any tv IMO.

Never had one before so pretty excited to hear it, been using my old sony surround sound system from 14 years ago lol

Quote Originally Posted by eric351w View Post
    been using my old sony surround sound system from 14 years ago lol
    I use 15 year old Altec Lansing 2.1 computer speakers. No shame
    Ad Astra Per Aspera

Quote Originally Posted by JcbDemo View Post
    Make sure if you have a newer 4k tv or something you're going to use it that your soundbar has a HDMI input. Optical is great but the newer TVs have this new standard to work with HDMI so it detects it as a device (like a pc or xbox/ps4) and enable control over it. My sound bar doesn't have it and it's a pain in the ass.
    Most newer TVs have different modes for HDMI ARC/Optical/Digital, at least the ones I've used. I'm using a newer TV over optical to an older soundbar and it passes through 5.1 sound and is controlled by the tv remote. Others however like some random LGs I've used at work require a digital audio converter. You'll only see a limit with optical if you start to push 7.1 or higher fidelity things like trueDTS or whatever the name was.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great American View Post
    I use 15 year old Altec Lansing 2.1 computer speakers. No shame
    Lol nice!!

Most newer TVs have different modes for HDMI ARC/Optical/Digital, at least the ones I've used. I'm using a newer TV over optical to an older soundbar and it passes through 5.1 sound and is controlled by the tv remote. Others however like some random LGs I've used at work require a digital audio converter. You'll only see a limit with optical if you start to push 7.1 or higher fidelity things like trueDTS or whatever the name was.
    Good info thanks J

Ah yes, ARC was the term i was looking for. I had a way older TV and recently updated to a sweet Samsung 4k..but my soundbar didn't have the hdmi/arc.. I don't know when it was implemented since my tv wasn't even an LED, haha.