Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerosene Heater!!

Default Kerosene Heater!!

So I just hired a new guy. I spent a couple hours with him shooting the shit and we were talking about saving computer files in two places like on a portable hard drive as well as on the computer and keeping one in a different location from the other. I say to him "Yeah cause what if you burn your house down"? He says "Done that"?? I say WHAT and he proceeds to tell me how like 5-6 years ago he was in his garage putting a nitrous system on a Busa. It was winter and he had a kerosene heater in the garage. He said he had the garage door open about 4 inches. Goes on to explain how as he's closing the clam shell on the bike, he somehow cut a slice in the gas line and it was squirting out what he thought was a small amount of gas onto the floor. He got up to go get a rag and as he turned around, he saw flames coming out of the kerosene heater from the fumes that must have blown over from the bike, carried on a breeze from the open garage door. He says he watches as the flames engulf the Busa and things start going up but quick. He said he, for about 1 second, thought about going for an extinguisher he had hanging on the wall but then realized that he had a 55 gallon drum of Aviation fuel not 10 feet from the open flames (Dumbass) so he turned and ran! The house burned to the ground. The fire department couldn't put the flames out for 5 hours! He said he had a 3 day old Triumph in the garage that he hadn't registered OR insured and says the wheels on that thing were just two puddles. Needless to say he lost EVERYTHING!!!

Soooooo How many of us have Gas in our garages?? For a mower, weed wacker, race bike? Do you use a heater in the Garage? Welder? I know I sound like an old man, all worried and stuff but imagine if his family was home? Imagine losing someone you love because of something stupid you did. Never mind all the shit IN your house AND your house. Think about someone getting hurt.

PLEASE go through your garages and get the gas tanks OUTSIDE!! There's enough stuff in there that is highly flammable without adding 1-20 gallons of GAS to the mixture.

OK, Speech over!
    Peace
    Peewee

Chickens CAN dance!!!

You still hired him?
    Did he take anything away from this experience?

Quote Originally Posted by ct1200 View Post
    Did he take anything away from this experience?
    Yup. The debt on a 3 day old Triumph.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

"If you can blame guns for crime, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

I speak 3 languages. English, Sarcastic, and Sexual Innuendo. Which would you like to hear?

LRRS #612 (now accepting sponsors/endorsements )

Defintely a good reminder but that guy sounds like an idiot. Gas stored in plastic containers is fine even with sparks hitting them.

Storing jet fuel in your garage while running a petroleum based heater and working on your fuel lines is exceptionally stupid.

My fuel stays in my shed with my shitty lawn tractor and rakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    My fuel stays in my shed with my shitty lawn tractor and rakes.
    Iv'e Out lived my expiration date...........

Was it covered under his homeowner's insurance?

prob no insurance coverage if they knew 55 gallons of fuel stored in garage
    Last edited by xsiliconkid; 02-25-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Graham
    X Expert #58 more haste ......less speed.

Bikes in garage filled with gas, generators filled, car with 18 gallons in the tank...Lawn mower and blower, many aerosol cans and oil on the shelf. No way around it.

If a house burns a bit it is most likely a total loss due to smoke and water damage anyway.
    Good insurance and a fresh build. Just don't do stupid shit with flames, sparks and vapors/flammable liquids.

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    prob no insurance coversge if they knew 55 gsllons of fuel stored in gsrage

I called my agent before I put my pellet stove in because I was worried I wouldn't be covered with a ton of pellets in the garage. I was told so long as your furnace isn't in the same room, you're fine... This is also what I was told regarding storing bikes in the basement for winter. So, I bet he'd still be covered.

How ever, WTF was the guy doing with a 55 gallon drum of jet fuel in a home garage?
    -Gabe, is a racist.

Matt 9/19/10